Round 5, greasy?

Blaknwite

Lots of crashes, good racers hitting the ground, I certainly was aware of the back end moving around a lot. Not sure if it was me being heavy handed, end of season tires or simply conditions. Any ideas?

Best wishes for those that got banged up

sand.man

The only place I really felt like I was saving the bike a lot was in T8 with all that oil.

But you're getting faster Steve, so the bike will just squirm more and more!

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
The whole team found the track slippery for some reason... Maybe it was dusty... It seemed to get better as the day went on though?

Fireman

The track felt like it was green all weekend. Last week even felt worse. I think the rain has just brought some silt onto the track possibly.

I seriously doubt that led to our large number of crashes however. Just a guess mind you.

cyclecrazy

I agree that the track felt "green" some of the weekend, but for both Mark(71R) and myself, the actual cause of the off track experiences lies somewhere with the rider.

The track felt good to me- not that my crash made it any worse. I can see the "green" only thinking about when I checked up I had no control. That's 50/50 as to how that happened though.

Jason Henton

Lots of crashes, good racers hitting the ground, I certainly was aware of the back end moving around a lot. Not sure if it was me being heavy handed, end of season tires or simply conditions. Any ideas?

Best wishes for those that got banged up

I noticed that I was spinning the rear a bit in 2 and some in 5, but I was also pushing and riding at a faster pace. When I went down in 5, I was at least on the rumble strip, if not into the grass. I feel it was rider error, I simply cut in to the corner to much. Due to crash damage, I had to replace my front with a takeoff slick (Big thanks to Scott and Empire tires for helping me out and saving my weekend!!!) which I had never run before. First race out on it and it was GREASY, I hardly made it a few laps and could barely hold it up. After some advice from Scott, I adjusted tire pressure. I only adjusted the tire 2 psi. I also didn't go on track until later in the day. For whatever reason it made a HUGE difference. Traction was good by the end of the day. Anyways, just my experience from the weekend, and yes, best wishes for those who weren't as fortunate.

mnorton

A clean break :(

Matt Norton here - 22 black riding a SV650 in the Middleweight Twins race. I was the guy who touched someone and hit the ground. After a quick forced nap I awoke to a broken collarbone. I'm super disappointed that my season has likely ended this way. As for a green track, I had some slippage in the morning practice but the race itself was good, plus I had good wear front/rear....while upright :)

As for the incident, I'm a little foggy as to what exactly happened. As I remember it, Maxim (21 black) and I had just got past Steve (71 black) when he went wide in Turn 1. Steve got me on the back straight and I believe he also passed Maxim as well. I think my plan was to tuck right in behind Steve on the brakes so I could get beside Maxim for turn 2 but that obviously didn't work. I think my front wheel touched Maxim's rear wheel. I also believe there was a Motard in the mix - likely Danny (146 red) for he's the only one I've seen when racing with Maxim and Neil (8 black).

Any insight others could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Matt

sand.man

Hey Matt, I remember Danny telling me he got rear ended HARD by somebody into T2, hard enough to knock his rear tire up in the air. He said the bike that hit him ended up going down, could this have been your incident?

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
I was right behind matt and danny in turn 2. Matt tried to get the inside and danny swooped in and matt checked up and his front caught danny's rear. I nearly ran over matt... had to hit the brakes on entery of T2

Blaknwite

Glad you're "OK", we went past right after and you were sound "asleep" but did not see the incident at all. Looked so bad and where you had ended up that Ryan Martin and I both signaled for a red flag (clutch hand mind you!) but you were up soon thereafter. In fact by the time I got to your pit the Arctic Donkey and AD Jr. had the spanners to her, shame he is not in the collar bone fixing business!

mnorton

I was right behind matt and danny in turn 2. Matt tried to get the inside and danny swooped in and matt checked up and his front caught danny's rear. I nearly ran over matt... had to hit the brakes on entery of T2

Lucky for me you are so good on the brakes - thank you!

Thanks Neil for the clarity. The Steve and Maxim show must have been further ahead. It's amazing how the details become foggy after you hit your head.

Anyway, sounds like some good hard racing between us. I'm just sad I won't be playing with you guys in September.

Matt

mnorton

Glad you're "OK", we went past right after and you were sound "asleep" but did not see the incident at all. Looked so bad and where you had ended up that Ryan Martin and I both signaled for a red flag (clutch hand mind you!) but you were up soon thereafter. In fact by the time I got to your pit the Arctic Donkey and AD Jr. had the spanners to her, shame he is not in the collar bone fixing business!

I appreciate the "clutch hand wave"!

Thanks,
Matt

yak

Hey Matt

Glad to see you posting, but very sorry to hear about the collar bone.

From the stands, the contact that I saw you have was after the apex of T2. It happened so quickly that I wouldn't say much more.

Talk to you soon,

Todd

racer51

Get well soon

There was some fierce competition going down in Round 5. Seems everyone was on the beans following the summer break!

Some GR8 racing and some unfortunate outcomes as well.

Intake lots of protein while you're healing Matt! Hope to see you on-track soon or at least at the year-end banquet!

Blaknwite

as I recall there were score marks on the track from your preferred tight entry point to T2 all the way to the wreckage. :eek: