Promotions

Status
Not open for further replies.

blam

Administrator
im sure there will be a good amount of promotions. i believe we'll probably discuss this at the next exec meeting on the 19th

also a reminder, all members are allowed to join in on exec meetings.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I'm interested in joining the next meeting. How do I find out where and when?

ehtaylor

I am done with EMRA. I was a pro in 1996. Ran 1.25 laps in 2015.
Brad Gavey 1.27 Pro without question pro this year.I guess well liked makes a Pro without laptime.
Brad is a nice guy but that stinks of buddy system.
I have been ridiculed by a group of people that should know better.
I have been critical of the promotion system for some time. I am no longer going to participate so maybe these words will help.
This is a club.
The majority of members are novice or intermediate.. The structure of this club is not anywhere else, Anywhere else It is novice or pro.
Even the fastest person in this club is no match for the slowest in a real series. So get over yourselves. Have a good time with some lapping Buy some blue flags.

the_fornicator

crying-man-o.gif

S-african

I agree with some of what you say...
1) Blue flags would be good..even with current system
2) Our fastest person (MZ) is ABSOLUTELY a match in a real series. Go look at some historical data from UTAH and Master of the Mountains - won championships there too, and had lap records.
3) Other clubs are Novice & Pro, I'd like to see our club move towards that, but with CSBK having intermediate and Pro, it does limit Canadian structures. Unless that gets changed from the top and trickles down, I don't see it happening at EMRA, which is not a big problem. It does give more people a sense of security riding against similar paced racers, without the stress of getting in the way of Championship contenders in Pro.
Where I learnt to race, everyone was pro. If you felt you were going to be lapped in a race, you had a large black "X" on your leathers back, so approaching speeders knew you were slow from way back and we used the Blue Flag system. We had more classes to help move up, so by the time you reached 600/1000 you had 2-3 years racing experience (Minimum). We all come from different backgrounds, but we should work within the system we have, and make it as safe and enjoyable for as many people as possible. Lets not just moan and criticize, but lets have constructive dialogue, and if you really want to be heard and try make a difference, attend the AGM or join the board.

DEFBOY35

Adrian. Nobody is denying that you were a pro 21 years ago. That however is 15 years longer than the other rider you choose to keep using as an example. That is a long time to just be thrown straight back into expert grids.
The clubs mandate with promotions has always been to keep the safety of all riders in mind when deliberating who to promote every season. As for this year you are trying to push to be promoted based off of average. Lap times in the 1:29-1:30 range average the past weekend. That when it comes down to it is just too large of a gap. There is no hidden agenda or ridicule. But those are facts that are easily viewed through the timing system and the associated apps.
As for our riders competing elsewhere, I will only speak for myself here, but any of the clubs I have gone to race with are generally impressed with the skill level displayed by most of our racers that go to visit them to compete and typically do quite well. I feel that is something our club as a whole can take great pride in. I have also witnessed quite a few of our racers who did a great job of holding their own on the national level as well.

One final thing, if you or anyone wants to see change. Everyone is welcome to take part at the agm in December and furthermore to run to be a part of the exec. Who are chosen by the members to make these sometimes hard decisions on behalf of those who voted us in.
Take care Adrian.

Dave86

I am done with EMRA. I was a pro in 1996. Ran 1.25 laps in 2015.
Brad Gavey 1.27 Pro without question pro this year.I guess well liked makes a Pro without laptime.
Brad is a nice guy but that stinks of buddy system.
I have been ridiculed by a group of people that should know better.
I have been critical of the promotion system for some time. I am no longer going to participate so maybe these words will help.
This is a club.
The majority of members are novice or intermediate.. The structure of this club is not anywhere else, Anywhere else It is novice or pro.
Even the fastest person in this club is no match for the slowest in a real series. So get over yourselves. Have a good time with some lapping Buy some blue flags.

To address your example of Brad, he was still racing Expert with the CMRA in 2012, and we based the decision on where to put him on precedent - in the years I've been involved with the club any other Expert / Pro level riders who came back within 5 years of their last race have been kept in Expert.

I am offended by the implication that there is any favoritism on the executive, the reality is I've actually strained plenty of friendships in my time on the exec by having to make decisions (protests etc) that riders I know personally wouldn't be pleased about, but executive meetings go on for hours with long debates because we always want to make decisions that are fair and unbiased.

The fact is, for promotions there's a safety aspect. With the leaders in Expert Superbike running 1:19s, a rider doing 1:29s is going to be lapped on lap 8 in a 12 lap race, and when we already separated Intermediate and Expert SBK races because of safety concerns, it would not be reasonable for us to promote riders that are going to introduce the same problem we already had to find a solution for.

With our overall numbers up, of course it makes sense to promote riders, but all factors (lap times, consistency, safety etc.) have to be considered, and all of that will be discussed at the next exec meeting. Anybody is welcome to join, just contact Trish at her email above so we know how many are coming.

I don't see this turning into a productive discussion, so I'm going to lock the thread - feel free to join the meeting or attend the AGM for any further discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.