2018 Rule Change Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snak

EMRA Executive Member
5.5 600 Superbike
  • Engine displacement: four cylinders: 640cc or less, triples up to 680cc, twins up to 750cc, single cylinder – no restriction.
  • Tires – DOT or slicks
  • Must meet 5.3 Sportbike rules
  • No external timing devices (Lap timers, Pit boards)
  • Open to all Intermediate or Expert riders
I was taking a read through the rules and noticed these two points in 600SBK. Why would these rules not mirror Superbike with a displacement cap? If your equipment must meet the Sportbike rules is this not just a longer 600SS race? And why would there be no lap timers in this race?

I propose to change the rules to unlimited modification (except engine displacement) and remove the timing devices from section 5.5.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
5.5 600 Superbike
  • Engine displacement: four cylinders: 640cc or less, triples up to 680cc, twins up to 750cc, single cylinder – no restriction.
  • Tires – DOT or slicks
I was taking a read through the rules and noticed these two points in 600SBK. Why would these rules not mirror Superbike with a displacement cap? If your equipment must meet the Sportbike rules is this not just a longer 600SS race? And why would there be no lap timers in this race?

I propose to change the rules to unlimited modification (except engine displacement) and remove the timing devices from section 5.5.

Our sportbike rules are essentially Superbike rules anyway, but didn't know about the timing device part (or understand why?).

DEFBOY35

5.5 600 Superbike
  • Tires – DOT or slicks

Is it too late to protest all of Jon, brian and Ryan's results for the year. I know they all had timers on. Ha. Probably that toews guy as well!!!

I don't ever remember that being in there. The only class that rule applies is the formula 112. So yes that should be removed.

Dave86

Yeah that was definitely a formatting issue when the page got pasted in, that is a rule for F112 and not 600SBK, it's been corrected.

ehtaylor

I want to again propose getting rid of the intermediate class and just having pro or novice that reflects the model in most clubs.
This will save time by reducing the amount of races. Yes it sucks for fast pro's but they are the minority in the present structure.

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
How about a group a grom can race in :). Hehehe - but no im serious :)

unfortunately the track is just plain too big for a grom. racing a 250 is probably as small as you'd want to go on that track. We raced CBR125s at the cart track inn Strathmore, in BC they have the Grom Prix at their mini track.

Julien

It may be a crazy question but has there been thought about adding an endurance race to the schedule?
It could be teams of 2 to 4 racers on 1 bike going for a total of 3 or 6 hours.

Dave86

It may be a crazy question but has there been thought about adding an endurance race to the schedule?
It could be teams of 2 to 4 racers on 1 bike going for a total of 3 or 6 hours.

We ran endurance races years ago at Stratotech, they were fun but always lost money at a track where the rental cost was half what it is now, so they're just not financially viable.

Framer

My proposed changes

#3. I propose that all bikes (that have one available) are to run a full bellypan with no drain holes (unless plugged). This means that even if the vent lines are into the (350ml+) catch can, that a fully closed in belly pan is still required. Sure there will be some naked bikes that are excluded from this rule, but if your bike has one that is available, then you must have one to pass tech. I think anybody that was there and helped with the cleanup on the Friday before the final double header would agree with this. The cleanup would have been a fraction of what it was if the bike had an enclosed belly pan. Yes I know it was a "track day" as well, but the bike that caused it was an EMRA racer's race bike...

Bellypan. Almost all clubs require this. We have been too lienient. I've thought about this a few times over the years.
Like Dana says. Some bikes dont have comercially avail ex. Motards or other special bikes so should be exempt..

A quick Google search turns up aftermarket belly pans for the common motard and naked SV type bikes that currently run in our club without a belly pan. So if this change does go forward, in the sake of consistency, we should have thorough discussions about which, if any bikes are exempted and why.

Last edited:

Jason Henton

A quick Google search turns up aftermarket belly pans for the common motard and naked SV type bikes that currently run in our club without a belly pan. So if this change does go forward, in the sake of consistency, we should have thorough discussions about which, if any bikes are exempted and why.

I don't think we've had many issues from bikes that have passed tech, but I've been wrong before.. The K&n thing stands out and was previously addressed. That said, I run full bodywork on my sv. It's not as easy as a "it's available" situation. Custom brackets, fibreglass had to be modified, and full aftermarket exhaust to help clearance everything. Depending on what tires im running, it drags in the corners.. I'm all for it, but I also think that a lot, if not all, of the issue can be addressed with proper preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.