2018 coaching with OTP schools

Jason Henton

Unfortunately I cannot modify the bodywork on the OTP instructor bike, and I will not be able to attend the AGM to plead my case on Saturday.

Personally I trust all the OTP guys enough to ensure their machines are in tip top shape, but I have to ask why can't the bodywork be modified? Is there an alternative or compromise that could be had for the "accidental" issues, tape or RTV seal the stock plastics?

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
but I have to ask why can't the bodywork be modified? Is there an alternative or compromise that could be had for the "accidental" issues, tape or RTV seal the stock plastics?

Likely because it's Echo's bike. Lol.

But on the subject, since most tech isn't done until later in the practice day, maybe a thorough inspection can be done on the instructor bike early in the morning? Assuming this will only be on a special case due to Justin's bike situation anyway. And it's not like the bike will be pushed when he's following a guy doing 1:28's. Lol.

DEFBOY35

I wanted to open this dialog to see if there would be any issues with a instructor teaching on a practice day with a OEM lower in the clubs mind. I am hoping that the increase in rider safety and skill from a program such as the one I am trying to put together , outweighs any of the risk of having a race prepped bike, with a OEM lower on it.

Unfortunately I cannot modify the bodywork on the OTP instructor bike, and I will not be able to attend the AGM to plead my case on Saturday.
One could argue that with your experience and meticulous bike prep that the chances of a oil drain bolt not being safety wired or done up tight enough is slim to none. As well you are direct proof that a major engine failure full belly pan or not oil is most likely going to be laid down if half your crank comes out the side of the engine. I.e. Mosport. How much more oil may have been laid down is debatable without the belly pan. I think Cormier could also attest to that scenario.

Wait a second here. We may have to ban all Kawi's. Ha

DEFBOY35

But on the subject, since most tech isn't done until later in the practice day, maybe a thorough inspection can be done on the instructor bike early in the morning? Assuming this will only be on a special case due to Justin's bike situation anyway. And it's not like the bike will be pushed when he's following a guy doing 1:28's. Lol.
Tech is actually done before anyone is allowed on track during a practice day.
There is absolutely no issue however during a track day as there is no tech.

toybm

Tech is actually done before anyone is allowed on track during a practice day.
There is absolutely no issue however during a track day as there is no tech.
Is it? My memory of the last two years is definitely different but I'm getting older and loosing it.

blam

Administrator
Is it? My memory of the last two years is definitely different but I'm getting older and loosing it.
yes. you must be registered, fully paid, and tech'd before being allowed on track during a race weekend, including practice.

Goatse

Tech is often started on the Friday night track night before race weekends, and then the remainder of the bikes are done before they are allowed on track Saturday morning (I'm sure you've seen the lineups).

Your confusion might be coming from the Friday track days before a double header. Those days are actually not EMRA practice days, they are Castrol Track Days, run with street groups. So the "pre-tech" that is usually done during the Castrol Track Nights, is done during the Castrol Track Day.

Goatse

See above regarding tech on practice days.

As for running 28's. What if an expert running 23's or even 22's wants to use Justin's 1 on 1? It wouldn't be the first time an expert rider used Justin's school.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I like Justin, and even plan on taking part in his school this year.

However, if the club decides to add a rule that belly pans are required, I think we need to enforce that rule for everyone. I understand that Justin is an exceptional case, but once an exception is made for one person, more people are going to want the same treatment.

I am neither in favor, nor opposed for the new rule mandating belly pans, but if we add the rule, I believe it should apply to everyone equally. If we're willing to wave it for special cases, then why bother having it at all?

blam

Administrator
Steve,

i'm not going to give my opinion on whether or not coaches/instructors will require a belly pan but for the sake of argument:

I won't go into detail, there are many rules that are bent throughout the weekend for the sake of allowing people to get track time and ride. At the end of the day, the club wants less babysitting and more racing. it has to go both ways. this is a trust thing. there will always be exceptions to the rule, regardless of how many times someone will tell you otherwise.

The club can easily go the other way and spend more time at tech ensuring every nut and bolt is properly snug and wired in a way that provides positive locking force on the nuts and bolts. double check everyone's fluids, be nit picky about tire wear, etc. this will result in longer tech times, frustrated exec, frustrated riders, less track time, etc etc. the onus of a mechanically sound and properly prepped bike is on the owner, not the club.

I don't think anyone wants to show up at the track at 5am just to make sure everything is tech'd and ready to go. should we re-tech bikes that have tires swapped too? the list is endless if we want to scrutinize the small things.

The Hoff:
as for instructors crashing, the last 2 race schools I am pretty sure both had instructors crash at speeds that were easily out of their pace. pros make mistakes too. dialing it back can cause someone to be complacent and that's where accidents happen

Goatse

I like Justin, and even plan on taking part in his school this year.

However, if the club decides to add a rule that belly pans are required, I think we need to enforce that rule for everyone. I understand that Justin is an exceptional case, but once an exception is made for one person, more people are going to want the same treatment.

I am neither in favor, nor opposed for the new rule mandating belly pans, but if we add the rule, I believe it should apply to everyone equally. If we're willing to wave it for special cases, then why bother having it at all?

Very well said Steve.

Justin is a very good friend of mine, and I have also helped out with his school for years. But my viewpoint is the same as yours. It is less than ideal that this rule proposal lines up with Justin's new business venture, but looking at what is better for the club as a whole, I feel that bellypans should be a must (especially after "The Great Spill" last season), and also feel that we can't make exceptions or exclusions to the rule based on who someone might be. If the rule is just for instructors, then what are the prerequisites (more rules to be made BTW) for said instructors? Can anyone bring their own instructor? Or would the rule be for OTP only? Making these exceptions/exclusions opens up a whole other can of worms IMO, because in the end, all members must be treated equally.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
The Hoff:
as for instructors crashing, the last 2 race schools I am pretty sure both had instructors crash at speeds that were easily out of their pace. pros make mistakes too. dialing it back can cause someone to be complacent and that's where accidents happen

Yeah, I wasn’t saying give the exception for all instructors, as I witnessed a few of them crashing this year as well (this years race school mayhem).
But I also see the problems that could arise from making exceptions as it could create hurt feelings for others.

Fireman

Thank you for all of the discussion everyone. If it can be brought up at the AGM in conjunction with the discussion about race bodywork I would appreciate it.

I am hoping that if a exception can be made for bikes that do not have lowers or are naked can be made, that a exception for a instructor bike could also be made. This would not be for bikes that are competing on a race day. Just for a bike on a practice day. Even if there is the possibility of a 2 year exception until something can be done to allow for us to deal with it in 2020.

Thank you for your consideration

toybm

yes. you must be registered, fully paid, and tech'd before being allowed on track during a race weekend, including practice.
Tech is often started on the Friday night track night before race weekends, and then the remainder of the bikes are done before they are allowed on track Saturday morning (I'm sure you've seen the lineups).

Your confusion might be coming from the Friday track days before a double header. Those days are actually not EMRA practice days, they are Castrol Track Days, run with street groups. So the "pre-tech" that is usually done during the Castrol Track Nights, is done during the Castrol Track Day.

Confirmed........I'm loosing it

blam

Administrator
the majority vote was to have a fully sealed belly pan, where commercially available.

minutes from the AGM will be posted soonish.

Fireman

@Ryno, full race bodywork is required, and no instruction or mentorship on EMRA race weekends will be allowed on track