Safety Castrol racetrack

DEFBOY35

@brian worsdall

There is a big difference though between posting an update with no progress vs members asking and simply responding with
Sorry no update at this time.
That took me 12 seconds to type and press send. And that's being generous.
Glad to hear that they are getting on it now that the weather has turned. Hopefully will see photos soon of actual progress to be even more excited about.

As for the comment of little changes every round that only the exec may be able to see, I wouldn't go that far. I was around long enough to witness a lot of broken promises on their part. With nothing really done many times. As I've said. Hopefully that pattern has changed and they are getting off their asses this time. It has never been for a lack of the execs effort to get them to make the changes. Purely Castrol not getting shit done.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
@brian worsdall

There is a big difference though between posting an update with no progress vs members asking and simply responding with
Sorry no update at this time.
That took me 12 seconds to type and press send. And that's being generous.

This is you asking for updates.

As for the comment of little changes every round that only the exec may be able to see, I wouldn't go that far. I was around long enough to witness a lot of broken promises on their part. With nothing really done many times. As I've said. Hopefully that pattern has changed and they are getting off their asses this time. It has never been for a lack of the execs effort to get them to make the changes. Purely Castrol not getting shit done.

When did i say anything about them not breaking promises? Never.
You agree it has not been for a lack of effort on the executive part, and yet it always feels like you are going against everything we are doing instead of supporting...

DEFBOY35

Prime example of how things are dealt with brian. Couldn't get a simple response as an exec member, why would any of the membership expect anything different.

I have never not supported the fact that changes need to be made. The fact that there is zero transparency from the leadership to not just the members but a good part of the exec is the only issue I have ever had and have been very upfront about it. I am not the only one who feels this way. I might just be the only one who is "loud" about it.

DEFBOY35

Wasn't long ago you called someone out for not being at the agm and not being informed. Not everyone can make it to the agm. Here we are at the end of March and the minutes for the agm are still no where to be found. No public posts in regards to when the meetings are. One post in this thread doesn't count. I have brought it up before with other exec. Hell. I even brought it up with you previously.
So maybe the leadership needs to stop trying to make shit personal and take the constructive criticism for the betterment of the club.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Prime example of how things are dealt with brian. Couldn't get a simple response as an exec member, why would any of the membership expect anything different.

I have never not supported the fact that changes need to be made. The fact that there is zero transparency from the leadership to not just the members but a good part of the exec is the only issue I have ever had and have been very upfront about it. I am not the only one who feels this way. I might just be the only one who is "loud" about it.

Your screen name is very fitting, because you don't listen. Constantly bugging us for updates when there aren't any and acting like we are hiding information was not only annoying to your exec counterparts but its also insulting. The executive has a group chat so that any changes and updates are easily passed onto every person in the group within seconds and yet you claim you were kept in the dark... You have been part of the problem, not the solution. Another part of the problem, is that the website is fucked right now, under major construction. We don't really have IT savvy people on the exec anymore, its mostly a bunch of mechanics lol so its not our forte and while we WILL get everything sorted and run a successful season, things like this are just taking time to get fixed. The meeting minutes should be posted, sure, i don't know if they are yet or if they aren't, i haven't looked I've got better things to do. But you and anyone else is welcome to call me and ask for the meeting minutes or a recap.

Ryno I'm not putting my works address on here, if you're coming to the meeting ask me for the details. My number has been posted on here a few times, by all means. Are you planning to attend?

DEFBOY35

Since this is where you'd like to discuss this, you are right. It was annoying that certain people were made privy to information that wasn't shared with the entire exec. Again. I'm not the only one that feels that way. So to your point there was information that was available that was not made available to everyone. And rarely was there an answer that wasn't a completely smart ass snide remark back if there was an answer at all.

We have a website guy that we are giving free track time to no? Unless that was another one of the things that was voted on and then later back peddled on?
Regardless. Meeting minutes could easily be copy pasted into a forum post until the website is fixed. The point was don't call someone out for being uninformed when the information isn't available in the first place.

Ryno

Your screen name is very fitting, because you don't listen. Constantly bugging us for updates when there aren't any and acting like we are hiding information was not only annoying to your exec counterparts but its also insulting. The executive has a group chat so that any changes and updates are easily passed onto every person in the group within seconds and yet you claim you were kept in the dark... You have been part of the problem, not the solution. Another part of the problem, is that the website is fucked right now, under major construction. We don't really have IT savvy people on the exec anymore, its mostly a bunch of mechanics lol so its not our forte and while we WILL get everything sorted and run a successful season, things like this are just taking time to get fixed. The meeting minutes should be posted, sure, i don't know if they are yet or if they aren't, i haven't looked I've got better things to do. But you and anyone else is welcome to call me and ask for the meeting minutes or a recap.

Ryno I'm not putting my works address on here, if you're coming to the meeting ask me for the details. My number has been posted on here a few times, by all means. Are you planning to attend?
I wont make this one, short notice, but I will be sponsoring a rider this season and would like to hear first hand what is being done before deciding to put the effort into the EMRA or just send him state side.

electrobiker86

I wont make this one, short notice, but I will be sponsoring a rider this season and would like to hear first hand what is being done before deciding to put the effort into the EMRA or just send him state side.

From what I can see in the previous posts, so far the Execs have said; walls in turn 1 & 3 are to be moved, progress has been made. Other walls along straights are to be adjusted. Considering Castrol has asked the club to fill more weekends with motorcycle track days, while knowing full well that the club won't come without the changes made to the track; in my opinion, it is therefore pretty safe to assume Castrol is committed to making changes as requested.

Ryno

From what I can see in the previous posts, so far the Execs have said; walls in turn 1 & 3 are to be moved, progress has been made. Other walls along straights are to be adjusted. Considering Castrol has asked the club to fill more weekends with motorcycle track days, while knowing full well that the club won't come without the changes made to the track; in my opinion, it is therefore pretty safe to assume Castrol is committed to making changes as requested.

Or Castrol knows the club has invested upwards of 56k towards this season and has an assumption that the club will race no matter what so they dont lose that investment.

But who knows your guess is as good as mine.

DEFBOY35

As I have said in most of my posts in here. I do really hope that Castrol gets the changes done. It hasn't been for a lack of effort on the clubs part and it's not them I am worried about getting things done. But we are all at the mercy of Castrol. It sounds like they are starting to get things done now that the weather has turned. Looking forward to seeing photos of things actually getting done out there. Just like any of the proposed new tracks it falls under the believe it when I see it category for many.

electrobiker86

I cant imagine that there are too many 2018 members that are not experiencing some form of emotion; anxiety, frustration and sadness have all become companions of mine since September. We have all invested a lot of funds into a sport that now has at least a level of uncertainty, for some more than others, and for a variety of reasons.

Given the emotional nature of last years last round, as well as the uncertainty the future holds for the club / track, at least in some regard; perhaps we could take a breath and have a read through our responses before posting, to help ensure that emotions do not escalate further unnecessarily. Some know the clubs history as well as the vocal personalities involved, others do not, and the tone has become less than cordial of late. Perhaps a few need to go for a beer or 6 and hash out some issues in person... New people coming to the forum must be thinking WTF.

In my own opinion, items and ideas other than what Castrol is doing could maybe take a step forward. From my point of view, Castrol could cover the entire place in bubble wrap and marshmallows and the club could still face tragedy at anytime. We race at high speed, velocity kills, bikes collide even with no walls or furniture involved and tragedy ensues. Why do you think the cops are on 300's, they know better than anyone that velocity kills. Seen Jonathan Finns FB post this week? 14 yr old just lost his life, at a "safe" track as multiple bikes came together. Yet the races go on, as tragedy is part of racing, and if that is not acceptable perhaps another hobby should be sought. Seen the documovie Road?

Anyone who thinks that the facility will be tragedy proof after any improvements are made are either kidding themselves or suffer from cranial insertion of the rectum. If racing, even riding, was not at least somewhat dangerous; it would not be exhilarating and then not many of us would be riding.

All we can do is make it safe as possible, right? Looking at what other clubs do to help ensure rider safety is eye opening, I was surprised to see that novices are not even allowed on In-line 4 bikes at some clubs for instance, never mind liter bikes. We allow any newbie squid to jump aboard a 200 HP machine; while knowing full well, for years now, that the track is not conducive to inexperience on high HP machines. I am not saying lets lay off Castrol and let them off the hook, it is obvious to me that the fence should have been put up on the poles long ago, for instance. What I am suggesting, is let them work with our execs to work on improving, for now, and maybe we could do the same? Instead of finger pointing, lets discuss some constructive ways to improve our club safety other than "what can they do" to make it so that anyone can ride any machine at any speed, which with today's super bikes is a disaster waiting to happen anywhere, IMO. Even Daytona had to recognize that today's super bikes are not conducive to their track. So, instead of what can they do, what can we do?

To start off a hopefully civil discussion, in my opinion, only those rated as an expert should be racing on a liter bike at Castrol. Further, maybe the experts should have at least some say as to who will be joining them.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
.......In my own opinion, items and ideas other than what Castrol is doing could maybe take a step forward. From my point of view, Castrol could cover the entire place in bubble wrap and marshmallows and the club could still face tragedy at anytime......

This, and really your whole post was well said. Thanks

And yes i like ball busting Shane because he's been annoying but i get where he's coming from. Like he said, the thing is we are at the mercy of Castrol... Or we could just quit like HardNox and nothing would get done, but i think we all want to race on a safer track.

What the EMRA needs right now the most is supporters, not detractors. People complaining about Castrol are really just making the lives of the executive more of a headache. We are on the same page, and we are paying close attention to make sure these safety changes happen, and we'll keep you all posted as often as we can. Hopefully issues with the website will be sorted soon too, Trevor just recently got the ability to edit things himself so we aren't relying on a volunteer outside the exec. Lets stay positive, the track will be improved and racing will be great this year.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Or Castrol knows the club has invested upwards of 56k towards this season and has an assumption that the club will race no matter what so they dont lose that investment.

But who knows your guess is as good as mine.

Where are you getting your figures from?

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member

Correct^^^ because its a lot to type, we've always said for those who want to know just give us a call. But clearly some people are looking for more details but won't call.... I can't control that stubbornness lol :p but here, I'm waiting on skip the dishes while i work late soooooo i'll give some key points here in short form. Basically:

- The wall in turn 1 should be moved back a bit to allow us to place crash gravel where it is now, giving us more space before hitting the air fence should we go down in T1 and it would also slow us down a lot when we reach the gravel trap. This will be a huge improvement in one of the areas of the track we see the most incidents.
- Turn 3 wall should be moved back a bit further and hay bales added as an extra form of protection. With the wall moved back a couple years ago to where it is, we have a much lesser chance of crashing there and reaching the wall. Only a couple of people have since that change and now with a few more feet (8-10' i think) it should make that area even safer should you go down.
- The front straight wall at the chicane will be moved out about 3' to allow for some side-impact (glancing blow type) air fence blocks the club is investing in. This is an area of the track we have very few incidents in, but obviously we need to consider protecting it as well for the rare occasions.
- On the outside of Turn 4 there is a bunch of concrete cubes way out there by the pond if you ran off at high speed you might make it there, Castrol is looking to replace that with a small fence and have hay bales in front of it. They can't completely remove it because if a car made it into the pond the driver could drowned if he had issues getting out of his car, this is an insurance thing and cannot be negotiated but the fence with hay bales will help. We've also asked that the start of the wall on the exit of T4 is tapered out as much as possible to get the airfence off track, this is dependent on the ground and how much those barriers can be moved without falling off that slope.

UPDATE: Castrol has been working at night because its the only time the ground is hard enough lately to run the machinery across certain areas. They have done the snow removal, they have removed the fence in turn 1 so now when the conditions are good they can move that wall back and then take their time rebuilding the fence. The fence in turn 1 will only go back as far as the finish line (control tower).
They should be moving the T3 wall back soon, again weather dependent.
The front straight wall will be moved later, its all on paved ground so its not really weather dependent but i personally believe this is more a man-power and available time thing but it can be moved later so its not a priority compared to the stuff like T1 and T3 where we have a short window giving the ground and how frozen it is etc.

I'll be dropping by Castrol and communicating with Collin consistently every 5-7 days in April. If possible, i'll even get pictures. I promise you guys will get updates as soon as we get them. In the meantime, things are looking good so keep building those race bikes ;)

roadrash

"Or we could just quit like HardNox and nothing would get done, but i think we all want to race on a safer track. "

I'm sorry Brain but that is uncalled for.

I dont think I need to remind anyone that the EMRA ANNNND HX agreed that after Sean's death that the appropriate course of action was to create an agreement where the ENTIRE motorcycle community were a united front and that we ALL would pull the pin if changes weren't made by Nov 30th, 2018.

YOU thought it was a good idea and gave your full support and committment, Jon gave his full support and the rest of the Exec gave full support, even after multiple opportunities to back out before delivery to the facility management.

Now, I certainly am not here to further the flames and propogate anymore negativity, we went our way and the EMRA went theirs....cool beans.
But I would appreciate if the name calling would stop!
We are far from quiters, we are long time enthusiasts trying to make their way through a difficult and dynamic situation.

electrobiker86

This, and really your whole post was well said. Thanks

And yes i like ball busting Shane because he's been annoying but i get where he's coming from. Like he said, the thing is we are at the mercy of Castrol... Or we could just quit like HardNox and nothing would get done, but i think we all want to race on a safer track.

What the EMRA needs right now the most is supporters, not detractors. People complaining about Castrol are really just making the lives of the executive more of a headache. We are on the same page, and we are paying close attention to make sure these safety changes happen, and we'll keep you all posted as often as we can. Hopefully issues with the website will be sorted soon too, Trevor just recently got the ability to edit things himself so we aren't relying on a volunteer outside the exec. Lets stay positive, the track will be improved and racing will be great this year.
Thanks B, I sincerely hope no one takes my post as me taking the tragedy lightly,

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
"Or we could just quit like HardNox and nothing would get done, but i think we all want to race on a safer track. "

I'm sorry Brian but that is uncalled for.

Huh? That was definitely not negative towards HX. Like you said, you guys went a different way. Originally the plan was to throw in the towel in November if the changes weren't made. HardNox stuck to that (all the power to ya) and the EMRA decided to give Castrol another chance and stick it out in hopes for a good 2019 season. What's wrong with that? It's the truth

Besides, if we had quit pursuing this then nothing would get done. But we all want to keep racing, just on a safer track.

Not throwing shade, not saying anything bad about HX, just stating if the EMRA quit doing this then Castrol has no motivation to make these changes. All good ?