ktm 450 supermoto questions

fonzy

Hi all , i recently purchased a 2004 450sx that im using for ice racing but it was a x AMA factory KTM supermoto bike very highly built unit , im pretty sure id like to run this season , questions are its a 4 speed what gearing should i be running? and as far as tires? do i have to run supermoto specific tires? i have a set of dunlop slicks but id rather run pirelli , and other info that i could use would be great thanks:)

YZF1000jon

Supermoto tires usually come in smaller sizes that fit onto the samller rims with no chain issues, usually 150's for the rear. If they fit and don't rub, then run em. Tire pressures may be different due to the different weight and power but that's a matter of research or trial and error.

sand.man

As for gearing, that might be a trial/error scenario... I don't know if anyone else has a 4 speed KTM?

For tires, Superbike tires work but are not ideal. They are often wider and do not heat up as well when under a lightweight motard.

The Michelins are the best that are available in Edmonton, and the only brand with supermoto contingency as far as I know.

fonzy

As for gearing, that might be a trial/error scenario... I don't know if anyone else has a 4 speed KTM?

For tires, Superbike tires work but are not ideal. They are often wider and do not heat up as well when under a lightweight motard.

The Michelins are the best that are available in Edmonton, and the only brand with supermoto contingency as far as I know.

with the current gearing the previous owner could get 95 miles per hour on ice with the 4 speed, so i have no clue what it will do for me at stratotech ,

as far as tires i just want what works , Contingency money means nothing in my world lol

fonzy

so, i oops and didnt ask my main question , what do i use for case covers on this bad boy?

sand.man

If you have hand guards ( the type that wrap around and are metal ) you don't need reinforced case covers as far as I know. On a SM the cases won't touch the ground.

Planepower

Personally i have NOT found REINFORCED engine cases for dirt bikes - sure there are billet covers, but they are as thick, maybe slightly thicker than stock.

sv-racing-parts

:) The WMRC looks for Safety Wiring etc, but does not require Engine Covers for the SuperMotards, EMRA may also take the same view.

As for tires, I don't think that Pirelli has anything in the 150 size that would work with SuperMoto,

Michelin are well thought of and Dunlops are run a lot on SuperMoto at other tracks, Greg Worthrup at WMRC was the Dunlop Dealer out here last year, I can get you his contact information if you like,

The other brand that a lot of trophies have been won on with SuperMoto is Bridgestone, Chris at Vicious Cycle in Edmonton has them,

Hope that helps,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

YZF1000jon

Chris may not have any more, he was having trouble sourcing them last year. Believe it or not I know a couple of bikes out there wearing Shinko Supermoto slicks, for seriously cheap too.

sv-racing-parts

:) Hi Jon, I had forgotten about the Shinko tires, they work,

Too bad about the bridgestone, I did not know Chris had any trouble at all getting them.

See you soon,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

Dean

A lot of our Supermoto guys out here swear by Maxxis Goldspeeds. I've not run them. I have a Marchesini rear on my CRF that can just barely take a 160, so I run Pirellis on that one.

Spooner

Hopefully he doesn't give up on the Stones this year, that would suck.
Why, other than the disappearance of Bridgestones means less options for riders. only intermediate riders used em anyways.... (Komo doesn't count)

Not that it matters for any of the motard classes. Bridgestone didn't pay out for any of those races... :mad:

Guess I'm rolling with Michelin. :eek:

Chris may not have any more, he was having trouble sourcing them last year.

Thats being overly polite to Bridgestone. They don't want to pay, who wants to play? Poor business on their part. I don't blame Chris for dropping them/ walking away. Sourcing wasn't a problem.

~S

Last edited: