Steering Dampers

McLovin

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a steering damper and was looking for some input / advice / experience with the ones I'm looking at. I'm looking in the $500 range and trying to decide between the Scott's ($480), Pit Bull ($450 USD), and Hyperpro ($430 USD).

First, after considering the GPR V4, I think I might as well spend the extra $30 and get the Scott's since it has more adjustments and seems like a more reliable damper. Also, it seems like people have had issues with the GPR leaking. Anyone experience this? I was concerned about having to drill holes to install the Scott's, but talking to their customer service, it's a pretty simple process. They recommend service about every 4 years, and they do the service if you send them the damper. Should cost about $100 for service which is alright. Anyone have a Scott's damper?

Second, the Pit Bull damper seems like a good choice also. No drilling required for install and Pit Bull will do a free service every two years. Has anyone heard anything about Pit Bull's dampers? There's a good review of the damper here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0NaDET0ep8

Finally, Hyperpro seems like an affordable alternative to Ohlins' dampers. No drilling for install. Every online review is positive, and they seem like a quality product: http://www.hyperpro.com/hyperpro/en/node/22
The active damping function of the RSC seems cool. The only thing I'm wondering about would be their repair/rebuild services since Hyperpro is a European company.

I'm also considering the aspect of where the damper is installed, i.e., on top of the triple vs. 'inside' the triple. I'm not sure if the Ohlins can mount below the triple, and not that I'm planning on crashing, but I assume that it would be much better protected in the event of a crash if it can be mounted below triple.

So all that being said, I know that Ohlins is the best out there, I just find it difficult to cough up $700. If the boss (my wife) allows me, I might go all-out and get it. But if not...

I think I have it narrowed down to 1) Scott's; 2) Pit Bull; or 3) Hyperpro. And if I win the lottery, Ohins!

I appreciate any input!

Last edited:

M87

Hi,
You might want to see what Blair (SV Racing Parts) can get for you.
It might save you a little cash. I have a ROBY mounted above the triple that has survived a couple of crashes, the Ohlins that mounted on the side was not so lucky.

Last edited:

sv-racing-parts

Hi,
You might want to see what Blair (SV Racing Parts) can get for you

:) Thanks for the Kudos Mike, I appreciate it. You are right. I do have the Scotts and Pit Bull here.

Let me know whatever you need Taylor and I will get you looked after right away,

Email me Directly at [email protected] No PM Please, I need to be able to retain and recall the conversation threads in order to be sure everyone gets all the right parts,

I am here whenever you are ready,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

Goatse

Also, it seems like people have had issues with the GPR leaking. Anyone experience this?

My GPR was new this year and it had a slight sweat by the year's end. Granted I did have one crash that was hard enough to break a clipon, so who knows if that was a contributor. I also crank it up to full stiff whenever I transport the bike because I use the rear axle Pitbull setup want my triples to stay where I left them (I'm super anal like that).

My rebuild will be free though, because the first one is complimentary. Any one after that is only $25 as well.

I do like the radial style much better than the Hyperpro I had on my previous bike. Being able to change the damping on the fly was nice. Sure you don't do it often, but it made it a lot easier to dial in perfectly when you did feel like messing with it.

McLovin

Thanks Dana. I remember we talked about your GPR at one point over the summer. I've never had a damper before on any bike, so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference. How much of an improvement on the R6 did you find? The only place at Strato where I wished I had one was on the gas between turn 2 and turn 3; I'd get a bit of head shake every lap. Not sure if that's a suspension adjustment I should make, or if a damper would help. But I guess at this point it doesn't matter for that spot in particular. That being said, I'm wondering if there is some other improvement I should invest in prior to a damper...perhaps a new rear spring (or new shock $$$), or a quick shifter/fuel manager?

Goatse

The R6 is typically a bit twitchy. As mentioned earlier, I'd always have my damper set at 20 for transport, and then when unloading I would just go straight to 1. If I forgot to set it to my typical setting of 8, I'd know right away. The bike also got a bit more twitchy the faster I got because I'd be harder on the throttle out of a turn (making the front lighter). The bike had noticeably more composure with the damper.

McLovin

Well I'm going to go with a Scott's from Blair at SVRacingParts, for a great price! Can't wait to get it, and then wait 7 months before I can try it out!

McLovin

She's a thing of beauty!

But I learned the hard way not to turn the high speed valve (under the black cap) all the way counter-clockwise... there is no stop, and the cap comes off spilling oil and letting air in the damper. Awesome. No warnings in the instructions or anything. So I guess now I have to order Scott's oil and purge the air out. Oh well, live and learn! Otherwise, it looks great, the install was easy enough, and I got one little ride around the block with it just before the snow. Can't wait to get it on the track!

Thanks for the great service Blair!

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 23

sv-racing-parts

Scotts Steering Damper

:) Get in touch with me this afternoon Taylor and I will help you out,

Heads up for the benefit of all. There is no need to remove the Black cover and adjust that control at all, leave it on and set as it comes from Scotts.

Do all your personal setting adjustments with the control on the left side of the stabilizer. It is the one with the pointed directional arrow.

Email me Directly at [email protected]

Best regards,
Blair