2014 EMRA Rule Changes

sand.man

Black guy riding a midget while going down a slip n slide and eating pound cake.

QN7AlT8.png

DEFBOY35

well done sir

ok back on topic, i just talked to LeoVince, who has been great to me all year. they are the distributor for the Dion Device, which is the AMA official lever gaurd.
I ran one this past season, and liked how it did not block the end of the bar, as well as springs away from you not causing a potential spot to get hung up with your bike.
they have the privateer line out now as well which retails at 199.
he is willing to do a group buy at crazy low pricing, which i am not allowed to post here, lol. if we can get 10 or more units.
so i will start another thread and go from there.

Ducbert

Taking Blairs suggestion, I was wondering, how does everyone feel about making the Middleweight twins race and turn it into Battle of the Twins?

FT has evolved into a class where odd ball configs can race, no longer a pure twin race., however I'd like to see a pure twin race. The middle weight race could be a combined grid of middle and heavy weight twins. FT would remain evverything that is not I4 600/1k...........

I would also like to add I4 750's as an exceptipon to FT, giving the middle weight I4, the 750, some place to compete.

Thoughts?

sand.man

No disrespect Norbert, but I'm strongly against allowing I4 750's into FT... It just takes away from everything that is FT (which is anything BUT an I4, basically).

I do agree that the 750's get the shaft when it comes to classes they can race competitively in, but aside from the GSX-R 750 how many other inline 4 750cc sport bikes are out there? It's not very feasible to cater to one model of motorcycle from one manufacturer, when there doesn't seem to be an abundance of them out there looking to race.

(And yes, I'm still looking for an opportunity to get your bike to the shop)

Arctic Donkey

Regarding Blair's suggestion for MW Twins, I see how that would make it more attractive for sponsors (larger grid) but if I was an intermediate rider I'm not sure I would be so keen. I definitely would NOT want to see TZ250/RS250s in MW Twins.

Whether it be this class or any other, I think we need to make sure any changes don't act to lower our overall numbers.

Ducbert

No disrespect Norbert, but I'm strongly against allowing I4 750's into FT... It just takes away from everything that is FT (which is anything BUT an I4, basically).

I do agree that the 750's get the shaft when it comes to classes they can race competitively in, but aside from the GSX-R 750 how many other inline 4 750cc sport bikes are out there? It's not very feasible to cater to one model of motorcycle from one manufacturer, when there doesn't seem to be an abundance of them out there looking to race.

(And yes, I'm still looking for an opportunity to get your bike to the shop)

None taken, that is what this is for. Throwing idea's out etc instead of spending time at the AGM, where we can bring up an idea and vote.

Regarding Blair's suggestion for MW Twins, I see how that would make it more attractive for sponsors (larger grid) but if I was an intermediate rider I'm not sure I would be so keen. I definitely would NOT want to see TZ250/RS250s in MW Twins.

I agree with Steve. I don't understand why running a split gird is a bad thing? Let guys be competitive in their own classes there is no real benefit I see to lumping the MW Twins into one class. As far as the TZ250/RS250s I also would not want to see them running with the MW twins.

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
I like what Norbert is onto. I think we need to allow the 750 into a special class.

Id like to see middle weight twins and heavyweight twins, battle of the twins, formula thunder, GP class etc etc to all be reviewed and maybe shuffled up a bit.

sv-racing-parts

Whether it be this class or any other, I think we need to make sure any changes don't act to lower our overall numbers.

:) I can live without have the TZ250 in the class, I don't think that there are many of them anyway.

The thing I like about the one class is that it really does pull the intermediates along by being in the same grid as the experts. We saw a number of the Intermediate Twin Riders really improve their times this year,

There really is no difference other than there are 3 less trophies at the end of the year so maybe give trophies in this class as far down as 5th,

At the end of the day I am good either way, I was looking for a way to include bikes like Neil's single into the class and make it even more fun that it was this past season,

Best regards,
Blair

Arctic Donkey

More support from sponsors is always good in my books and I certainly appreciate the support Blair has offered in MW Twins this past season. For the most part, the point of having different classes is to group bikes and riders with similar levels of performance together. I think our current and past EMRA executives have done a great job of setting up classes to accommodate the many different bike/rider combinations that we see every weekend.

jetfixer15

Having raced on split grids with multiple classes for years, I don't see a problem with it as long as there isn't a huge disparity in power between the bikes in each class. Having an R1 in Sportsman and a 450 single in Motard on the same grid wasn't great but the field was never so crowded it posed a significant problem, and you were racing the people in your category, not the person on the 130hp I4 1000cc bike, if you were on a Motard. Formula Thunder has always seemed wacky to me as the HP difference between bikes on the grid is ridiculous. It may not have been as obvious at Stratotech, but at a larger track it will be. 60hp bikes and 170hp bikes in the same class made no sense to me. There is a reason most race organizations have big cc twins and V4's race with I4 1000's, and why 675cc triples and 850cc twins race with I4 600's. I like the idea of seperate MW and HW Twins classes in a combined race. Once bikes go around the track for the first race weekend next year, the club will have the substantive information they need if restructuring of classes is needed. I sure hope I have the time to bring my 14 year old, tired SV out to Castrol next year. One of the few draw backs to living on Vancouver Island ;)

Last edited: