Concerns?

Andrew

Why wife and I really enjoy coming out to watch you guys race. We were looking at the castrol track layout and we have a question. Are you guys concerned about that big turn with full concrete barries on both sides of the track? Looks pretty sketchy and leaves no room for error. It would have been nice to see them give more space.

Planepower

I think a bigger concern is where spectators like yourselves will be when the new season arrives? Thank you for your support in the past, let us hope to have an audience in the future - motorcycle racing is exciting!

Fireman

Hi Andrew. The wall layout at castrol will be substantially different in 2014. We hope to see you out there.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I understand your concern, but lets not forget the track is still under construction. My understanding is the various concrete barriers and their locations has been temporary and constantly changing as construction of the track continues. Castrol ownership and the EMRA exec have been working closely together to make the track the best they can for all of us to ride on this summer. Things like concrete barriers, curbing, grand stands, track surface, land scaping etc are all still a work in progress.

vcms72

Concerning..

I think thats a big concern Heiko. Not sure if you were in Mission where the guy died right infront of us after slamming into a concrete wall. So its a little concerning. Hopefully they are temporary.

Last edited:

Dean

Chris, that was a very unfortunate accident, but also happened in a very strange place, along the straight. I'm not trying to make light of the situation, but that was not a dangerous spot, and it was a combination of bike, damper, and rider experience that all contributed to that incident, and not really the location of the wall.

Motorcycle racing is dangerous, regardless of walls.

sv-racing-parts

Chris, that was a very unfortunate accident, but also happened in a very strange place, along the straight. I'm not trying to make light of the situation, but that was not a dangerous spot, and it was a combination of bike, damper, and rider experience that all contributed to that incident, and not really the location of the wall.

Motorcycle racing is dangerous, regardless of walls.

Hi Dean, It is true that Cam died on the straight but he lost control coming out of the corner and went down into the wall as he and the bike were entering the straight. It was pretty much directly in front of where James and I used to park our trailers together.

It was a very sobering day and ironically Kelly had just walked up to James and I that morning and commented on his concern that with the way the track was being laid our at that time that it was only a matter of time until someone came across and hit that wall.

If you recall that was also the same corner that Mick came off the track and went into the wall prior to entering the straight at an earlier racing event,

That was also I believe the last time that the track at Mission was run in that configuration.

Walls are always worthy of great respect. Especially if they are not generously padded with Air Fence or the like,

I hope that the end layout at Castrol is as bike friendly and well padded as the club can possibly arrange.

Best regards,
Blair

Planepower

I'd like to reiterate that the executive members will ensure that us AND them will have a safe a possible place to race, in other words, there are a few other concerns besides track / wall layout.

sv-racing-parts

I'd like to reiterate that the executive members will ensure that us AND them will have a safe a possible place to race, in other words, there are a few other concerns besides track / wall layout.

:) Hi Heiko, I would be interested in knowing what are the other concerns besides wall and track layout. I am sure that they are all valid concerns,

Best regards,
Blair

Planepower

:) Hi Heiko, I would be interested in knowing what are the other concerns besides wall and track layout. I am sure that they are all valid concerns,

Best regards,
Blair

My opinion only, the track itself is built, but there doesn't seem to be amenities that we took for granted at Stratotech. Grandstand, visitor parking and ease of access, toilet facilities. There is good facilities on the other side of the ¼ mile track, but nothing available on the south side.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
This information is from Castrol Raceways website...

Castrol Raceway annually holds a comprehensive schedule of events ranging from Sprint Cars on the 3/8 mile clay Oval to Top Fuel Dragsters on the ¼ mile Dragstrip.

With nationally recognized events like the IHRA MOPAR Rocky Mountain Nitro Jam Nationals, Race of Champions, World of Outlaws Oil City Cup: Sprint Car Series, and the Manufacturers' Series: Fun Ford Weekend, Mega MOPAR Action Series, Super Chevy Show; Castrol Raceway has made the leap from regional exposure to a nationally televised motorsport complex.

Our concessions offer a full menu for the whole family and we're home to a great playground facility to keep the kids entertained between race events. Full bathroom facilities and change tables are available for you convenience, as well as a Merchandise Zone to get the hottest Castrol Raceway and event merchandise.

Racing season runs May thru October.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]¼ mile IHRA sanctioned dragstrip[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3/8 mile Clay Oval Track[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]10 acre Full Pro Motocross Track[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2.7 kilometer Road Course[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]A Mini- Sprint Cart track[/FONT]

On average, Castrol Raceway welcomes over 300,000 spectators per season.

One Million people within a 20 km radius
Two Million people within a 100 km radius

Castrol Raceway facility features:

• [FONT=&quot]A $75,000.00 Playground (developed by the Leduc/Nisku Rotary Club)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]A fully functioning 12 window main concession[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Oval Pit concession[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]A 2-Window Drag Pit Concession[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]On-Site operators and accounting office[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Beverage service building with walk-in cooler[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Full concourse washroom facilities[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]13 portable restrooms[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Full Control tower restroom facilities[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]A 4-Window spectator entrance gate with Will Call[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Separate Oval and Drag competitor entrance gates[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Permanent grandstands (8500 Drag / 3500 Oval)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]5 portable grandstands (each holds 500 seats)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]22 Private Drag Sky Suites[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]22 Private Oval Skyboxes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Two- (2) Drag Tower Hospitality Suites[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Drag Tower Media Center[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Drag Pit shower units[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Semi-Private Hospitality area[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Thunder Alley, Hot Spot, Checkered Flag Club, Champions Club; Private VIP Hospitality Center[/FONT]

DEFBOY35

not to mention , that there are more amenities in the plans to go along with the new road course from what i have heard, but as anything, these things all take time and money and will be done in stages.
the best way to ensure that things are continually improved out there is to do our part in making things a success for the road course. more racers, more spectators will do two things, hopefully keep fees in check, as well as make castrol want to provide more to bring in even more people.
it is in all of our own best interests to promote the shit out of not only the club but castrol to ensure the club remains a success.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Keep an optimistic outlook everyone, the track is not finished and everything on the 'To Do List' will be progress in our favor. Many changes have been made to make it a safe track for the club and I for one am no longer worried about the dangers of racing there any more than I was worried about the dangers at Stratotech. We may not have a tower set up yet, and the grandstands in place, but safety has been more important on that list of things to address than having a place to shit and watch. All concerns will be addressed and questions will be answered as the track nears it's opening date. So please don't jump to any conclusions or question it's safety, Castrol has been working very hard with the EMRA for the benefit of our best interests.

It's going to be awesome, let's all just focus on having our bikes ready :)

Last edited:

Jason Henton

It's going to be awesome, let's all just focus on having our bikes ready :)

Speaking of being "ready" is there any feedback on the staging\parking area? Are we supposed to pit in the paved staging area south of the drag strip entrance, or the grassy area to the east? What about leaving gear setup/camping in trailers etc?

DEFBOY35

actually im curious as to the pit situation as well. would be nice to not have tohaul around 8 sheets of plywood again this year.