Novice racing questions?

solo

Just trying to figure out what some of the costs will be for racing novice class this year? I have a few questions that would really help me plan my budget for the up coming season.

1. Noticed last year that there was some sort of metal thingy on the helmets, was wondering if that is for lap times and does every rider need one? and what do they cost?

2. Caught a bit of a conversation last year about numbers, but was busy and didn't have time to ask a question. Does it cost money to reserve numbers? Is there a list to choose from?

3. Was thinking of picking up another helmet for a spare, a lot of helmets say Snell approved, I have a Scorpion EXO 700 that I really like, it says Snell approved, does that mean it is Snell 2005? Will it pass tech with only Snell approved being on it, instead of a sticker that says Snell 2005 approved?

4. Entry fees? Since I plan only doing the novice thing, what does it cost for Entry fees for the weekend?
4a. Is there any other fees I'm not aware of?

I'm looking forward to the fun track time this year, I already know I can't do every race weekend, but knowing what costs are now will help me keep things in perspective.:rolleyes:

yak

Hello and welcome

A typical racing budget is all the money you have plus another 10%.

Answers
1. The cost of the timing stickers is nominal. I think the first set is free and replacements are 2 for $5.

2. It doesn't cost money to reserve numbers, but we don't have a great reservation system either. Look at the racer directory from last year and pick a couple of red numbers that weren't in use. We'll set you up at the first round.

3. Look underneath the comfort foam in your helmet. All Snell helmets will have an official looking sticker inside which will also show the year of the standard.

4. The fees haven't been set yet for this year but I don't expect they will change much. Last year a practice day cost $85 and race day registration for a novice was $90 (includes 2 races). You will also be charged a $10 gate fee each day. Finally, you will also have to purchase a $35 club membership (if you haven't paid for one already). I can't think of any other fees at this point.

Good luck making it out to the track.

Todd
#42 B

solo

Thanks! Didn't know that about the helmets. Also didn't know they also charge you at the gate.

triple

A typical racing budget is all the money you have plus another 10%...

I'm running over budget, who told you about the 10% rule? If you run all your money plus 10% and then add 10%... you're still gonna come up short. ;)

Have fun this summer...you don't know what you're getting into :D.

Richard

sand.man

I'll throw a couple questions into the hat as well.

A: How do you know which class you fit into?

B: If it's your first season racing with EMRA, are there steps to go through before the first race weekend in regards to licensing or anything else related?

triple

You must do the race school to obtain race license, check schedule.

You also have to do 4 races without incident (ie: crash) with novice group, with this group, anything goes...motards, singles, twins, triples etc. any bike any size.

have fun!

solo

Are we allowed to electronically record the classroom time? ie: video cam? Or are we only allowed to take notes? I have a real short memory, that is why I am asking.

triple

Are we allowed to electronically record the classroom time? ie: video cam? Or are we only allowed to take notes? I have a real short memory, that is why I am asking.

I'm sure some "teachers" wouldn't mind the 5 minutes of fame... :p

Start a new thread and ask! You will surely get an answer. I think taking notes is good enough, as most everything is common sense when explained to you.

racer51

good sense

I'm sure some "teachers" wouldn't mind the 5 minutes of fame... :p

Start a new thread and ask! You will surely get an answer. I think taking notes is good enough, as most everything is common sense when explained to you.

I dare say good sense is no longer common... :p

Check the rule book to see what classes your bike qualifies for. you'll find it on our web site home page.

You have to complete 4 novice races without incident, but you also have to display good bike control and be able to maintain lap times under 1:25. Once you feel you would like to move up to the intermediate class, you'll need to come see a riders rep. We'll make sure you meet the requirements, and consult with the other riders reps and executive members. If there are no objections from the exec, then we'll move you up. I know this sounds complicated, but it's really quite simple. We've found this is the best way to promote riders from novice.

If you want to video record the classroom instruction, go ahead. As long as you're not being obtrusive to the other students there won't be a problem.

See you at the school! Cheers!

Norm