Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Not interested in Action Cam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

S-african

Hi guys,
Just getting back to racing in 2015, very excited, and would love to share some race videos with Family in South Africa.

For those of you that actually do race videos, which cams do you use? And why?

Obvious choices are GoPro (Hero 3 and 4) and Sony (HDR AS20/100 AZ1VR)- but feel free to add other makes you use.

I know GoPro is very much associated with sports and racing, but they are a little more expensive. I like some of Sony's features with remote including a live view (although there are apps for GoPro) but also the live viewing streaming via WiFi.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get many opinions, but thought I'd ask and get some views.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

macbayne

i have a hero 2. records well, has good battery life, and crashes well too.

i don't think you should worry about a live view. a 32 Gig card will get you a day's worth of trackday sessions. some guys mount 2 cameras front and rear to get more of the action, but i just run the one up front through the windscreen for reviewing my personal performance. reviewing your session in the comfort of my easy chair teaches me how much i truly suck.

sure lots of guys will chime-in about newer cameras, but the hero 2 is just enough for what i need. no need for a 3.

DEFBOY35

have a hero, hero 2 and hero 3's. i personally have not found the need just yet to upgrade to the 4 as im fine with the slow motion capability of the 3. biggest reason to go to the 4 would be if you use a lot of 1080 slow motion. insane frame rates. or if you plan to shoot in 4k video a lot. again higher frame rate than the 3's there is slightly improved colors and sharpness as well, and i believe upgrades to the protune mode. but that is more going to affect if you really get into the editing side of things.

G.NYUS

I use the Drift Innovation HD Ghost and Ghost-S most of the time.
It's got a nice low profile design, rotatable lens, LED remote, and a solid 3 hour battery life. The only complaint I have with it is that it produces high wind noise (it doesn't need a case, unless you go below 10 feet underwater). I get around that with an external mic tho, which seems to work pretty good.
Like others have said, you don't always have to get the latest and greatest. I rarely film in the highest frames rates and definition unless I know I want to edit in slo-mo or need the best quality possible. If you drop the frame rates and film in 720P, you can save your battery and save room on your SD card. So you can save a bit of money if you get the mid-level model.

I also use the Contour+2, just haven't had it on the bike yet. I've mostly used it for downhill mountain biking so far. Same thing tho, it doesn't use a case, so wind noise is higher than with a GoPro. Pretty impressed with the Contour, but I haven't been able to see how it handles capturing/processing high speeds on the track.

Good luck! You pretty much can't go wrong with the cameras out nowadays. Just depends on what features are most important to you.

gixxer60_0

I have an go Pro the 2nd generation. Unfortunately I have crash tested a few times even lost it in a crash found it off the track. For what I want it works great. The only thing I would like is the rear view but that's more for diving. Works great for snorkeling and other activities.

mnorton

I have an go Pro the 2nd generation. Unfortunately I have crash tested a few times even lost it in a crash found it off the track. For what I want it works great. The only thing I would like is the rear view but that's more for diving. Works great for snorkeling and other activities.
I just got a GP 3 White edition and I'm wondering how you are mounting your camera to your bike(s)? Has anyone used the roll bar mount on your forks? Also, do you feel it on your helmet if that's one of your mounting points?

DEFBOY35

I just got a GP 3 White edition and I'm wondering how you are mounting your camera to your bike(s)? Has anyone used the roll bar mount on your forks? Also, do you feel it on your helmet if that's one of your mounting points?

i personally did not like having it on the helmet, can definitely feel it at speed if it is on the top or side. i have seen some with it set up on the chin, which may not be as noticeable. and still gives the rider view.

Jason Henton

Mines on the tank, not the best view but it works. I also have a rear mount on my battery box. I thought about a fork or front fender mount but on my bike I don't have the clearance as the forks compress.

jetfixer15

I have a Rollei Actioncam. I comes with a lot of accessories and it was on sale for $150 CAN from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK. I just couldn't bring myself to drop $400 on a new GoPro. There are comparisons to the GoPro's on You Tube. I have used it a sub zero temps snowshoeing, mounted to my truck while driving and also underwater. I have yet to test it on my mountain bikes or any of my motorcycles. Video quality is equal to any other action camera footage I have viewed. It looks like a GoPro unti you see the name on it. Rollei is an old German camera company (founded in 1920's) better known in Europe than North America. Here is a link to check out the specs:

http://www.rollei.com/products/actioncams/cams/