Spammer

sand.man

Sand.man Hey,I'm new here, how's it going?"The most fundamental harm we can do to ourselves is to remain ignorant by not having the courage and the respect to look at ourselves honestly and gently" - Pema Chodron---Eternityhttp://alturl.com/h59f

Re: Sand.man Hey, welcome to the site and go @#$^ yourself,

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

racer51

Forum BOT

Thanks for the heads up guys. Eternity is no more.:cool:

Time will tell. This is not a "real" user but is an application that registers itself then creates automated posts. Usually they try to sell something. I suspect this is a newbie hacker testing their skills.

The provided URL is most likely used to deliver a viral payload to anyone who visits. DO NOT REPLY or FOLLOW THE LINK as you are sure to regret the outcome.

With these open source vBulliten forums we can expect more of the same.

Last edited:

eric92

Yeah I got the same private message from Destiny too, and when i tried to respond, it came back with (Eternity has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Eternity from the recipient list and send the message again.)

thanks for banning this douche bag.

Eric

Juan42

I think you are right Duke...we've had quite a few spammers in the past months. Not sure we can do much other than ban the account. Hopefullly no one gets the viral payload you speak of:eek:

Time will tell. This is not a "real" user but is an application that registers itself then creates automated posts. Usually they try to sell something. I suspect this is a newbie hacker testing their skills.

The provided URL is most likely used to deliver a viral payload to anyone who visits. DO NOT REPLY or FOLLOW THE LINK as you are sure to regret the outcome.

With these open source vBulliten forums we can expect more of the same.

mojobie

I had almost this exact same PM on a totally different forum that I visit. The message board software looks (to me) to be the same, so it might be a more widespread problem than just the EMRA. Perhaps this should be reported to the software providers?

racer51

Nothing can be done

I had almost this exact same PM on a totally different forum that I visit. The message board software looks (to me) to be the same, so it might be a more widespread problem than just the EMRA. Perhaps this should be reported to the software providers?

Indeed, this happens all over the 'net. There is nothing that can be done about it other than to move to different technology. vBulletin is free open-source software. Once the hackers figured out how to do this...it was "all over".

Just don't get fooled into responding...DO NOT CLICK THE LINK OR EVEN WASTE YOUR ENERGY WRITING TO TELL A PIECE OF SOFTWARE TO F**K OFF.

Dave86

Indeed, this happens all over the 'net. There is nothing that can be done about it other than to move to different technology. vBulletin is free open-source software. Once the hackers figured out how to do this...it was "all over".

Not quite. vBulletin is not free nor open source. The service vBulletin uses for verification at registration (called reCAPTCHA) is free, and spammers cracked it some time back.

It still keeps the majority of the spammers out however, we just have to keep an eye out for the few that do manage to get through.

I just installed an update for the forum, and added an extra step to registration so with any luck that should help prevent this from happening.

Whether it is e-mail or forums, the spammers are always one step ahead, all we can do is delete the obvious spam, ban the bots posting it, and make it as difficult for them to register as possible, we'll never be able to stop everything from coming through.
Have to try and keep a balance of not leaving it wide open for them, but also not causing frustration for legitimate users signing up.

Last edited:

racer51

not personal

Not quite. vBulletin is not free nor open source. The service vBulletin uses for verification at registration (called reCAPTCHA) is free, and spammers cracked it some time back.

It still keeps the majority of the spammers out however, we just have to keep an eye out for the few that do manage to get through.

I just installed an update for the forum, and added an extra step to registration so with any luck that should help prevent this from happening.

Whether it is e-mail or forums, the spammers are always one step ahead, all we can do is delete the obvious spam, ban the bots posting it, and make it as difficult for them to register as possible, we'll never be able to stop everything from coming through.
Have to try and keep a balance of not leaving it wide open for them, but also not causing frustration for legitimate users signing up.

Try not to take comments personally. We appreciate the volunteer work you do to keep the forum going...for the 109 or so of us that participate.

Last edited: