Race suit tailor

d.b

Started breaking in my new suit, one piece leather. It's mostly good but a little long in the leg and arms...

Is tailoring these a thing? If so any recommendations?

blam

Administrator
Started breaking in my new suit, one piece leather. It's mostly good but a little long in the leg and arms...

if its just shortening the legs and arms, most tailors will be able to help you out, but it isnt cheap

Do you need it taken up from the elbow to the shoulder? Knee to hip?
Or off the cuff and ankle.
How do you know which you need/ does the elbow and knee armour sit where it should when you are on the bike? If the armour is below the elbow/knee you need to pull it up above the elbow/knee. Expensive one.
If the armour is right then off the cuff/ankle,,cheaper of the two.

Now, you can not just hack of the end and make it look pretty. It has to be re shaped/tailored to fit snug around your cuff/wrist. So the suit does not ride up in a crash.
We typically remove the zippers and cut it then re-size it. But some suits the armour is very low. And if you need it above the elbow/knee...one would need to see if it can be done.
A lot of suits today can not be altered,,,and look anywhere near decent let alone function properly.

Yes ,some tailors can do the work. But I have also seen tailors use vinyl that looks like leather for replacing panels. Which would be fine on fashion leather. Not so much sliding down the road. Best to get references first.
feel free to ask me what can or can't be done.
But best e-mail me [email protected]

d.b

Just off the cuff and ankle. The elbow/knee are fine where they are, the issue is that from knee-ankle and elbow-wrist are long enough to interfere with putting on boots and gloves. Like the arms are trying to push the gloves off when they are in place, and I have to pull the legs up just to get the boots on (so the knees end up higher and it's bunched up around my thigh).

It's also very tight in the chest, which I'm ok with, but I'm a bit concerned about getting a back pad in there. I'm not sure there's much to do about that though. I'm hoping it stretches.

I'll email you John, thanks. The suit is a perforated Dainese Laguna Seca.

if its a brand new suit, it will definitely stretch out.
You can also wet it and then wear it,, but you HAVE to wear it until it dries 100%. You may have to do it a few times. When you just need a bit.
Best thing to do is,, put it on at home and try to get two back protectors on. That way you slightly over stretch it and then it will not shrink back as much.
But wear it for a while.
I try to frequent this forum but as we get busier it's hard to keep up. Anybody can e-mail me anytime for help/questions.
[email protected]

John