Tire choice for weekend

scratch

So currently my bike has slicks on and am looking at this weekends weather. Some rain for sure and so far questionable as to how much on which day. I personally have not changed tires/wheels over myself and am thinking a race weekend is not the ideal time to learn. Thoughts on how much wet is too much for slicks?

S-african

Any wet is too much for a slick. some damp patches might be ok, but any rain falling makes them super slick. I'm sure some of the guys in 1000 class will answer more (im on DOT's)

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
how much wet is too much for slicks?

Depends how much fun you want to have. Lol

But seriously you're better off buying a set of rains and shredding them if it dries up than learning how to ride in the wet on slicks or dots.

tcasey87

At the track, there are race tire vendors/changers >> old to new, slick to rain, rain to slick. $10 per tire change was last year's rate. You need to get your rims off and on your bike. If it is your first time taking wheels off/on, there are lots of people you can ask for help with that.

Sam

So currently my bike has slicks on and am looking at this weekends weather. Some rain for sure and so far questionable as to how much on which day. I personally have not changed tires/wheels over myself and am thinking a race weekend is not the ideal time to learn. Thoughts on how much wet is too much for slicks?

I am putting rain tires on the bike tomorrow morning, if it is wet at the track the vendors will have a ton of tires to change :) Most likely the track will be damp at minimum with the weather that has been forecast......also, the temp Friday evening is supposed to dip to 8, your slicks might have a hard time getting hot unless you have warmers....

Sam

Depends how much fun you want to have. Lol

But seriously you're better off buying a set of rains and shredding them if it dries up than learning how to ride in the wet on slicks or dots.

This is good advice......consider the cost of the rain tires as insurance...I crashed last year in the rain, it cost me 1000's to repair the Duc