Critique my novice session! Also tell me why I crashed :)

d.b

Novice session from Saturday's hardnox. I feel like I need to get closer to the tank, and out even further?

Also why did I crash? Best I can tell, I think I ran out of traction? Asking too much of the tires? Or something else? (Stock street tires).

Any advice/critique welcome and appreciated!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ecFiwrkpPU

DEFBOY35

Novice session from Saturday's hardnox. I feel like I need to get closer to the tank, and out even further?

Also why did I crash? Best I can tell, I think I ran out of traction? Asking too much of the tires? Or something else? (Stock street tires).

Any advice/critique welcome and appreciated!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ecFiwrkpPU

ill start off by saying you are correct, you definitely ran out of traction, our bikes will not hold 65 degrees of lean angle, especially on street tires!!
body position would help a lot. you are not really getting off of the bike much which is forcing you to use more lean angle for the turn.

have you thought about taking an otp class before? the best thing i have done for my riding has been riding with instructors who can work with you throughout the day and give you some good advice and things to concentrate on every time you get out to the track.
some food for thought. you were looking fairly smooth for the most part though, a few tweaks and you will be there in no time.

Ryno

Watching the video it appears to me that on the lap he crashed his entry speed was aprox 10kph higher than previous laps. I think that combined with what shane mentioned was the cause.

DEFBOY35

Watching the video it appears to me that on the lap he crashed his entry speed was aprox 10kph higher than previous laps. I think that combined with what shane mentioned was the cause.

That tends to happen while chasing a ryno. Lol.
With the corrections I mentioned that 10km/hr wouldn't be an issue I'm sure.

Bongo

agree with Mantis. Sounds like you add throttle, then let off at over 50 degrees of lean overloading the front contact patch; down she goes.

the_fornicator

It's seriously anybody's guess, but the one thing that is clear is that your rear tire came out and around you which may mean any of the following:
a) Your rear suspension bottomed out (i.e. too soft and didn't have any more travel) so when you hit the bump in T4, you had nothing to absorb the bump which cause your rear tire to lose traction
b) Your rear suspension is too stiff (same difference as above)
c) This is 95% of the reason why most new riders have their ass end slide out like that: too much throttle when at larger lean angles.

You can hear yourself get on the gas about a second before your bike slides out so that might be your culprit. Either too much gas or not smooth on the gas.

One thing that can help you mitigate lean angles is body position as shane mentioned -if you get off the bike more, you won't have to lean the bike over as much.

d.b

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. I think the takeaway here is that I really need to work on body position. I really _felt_ like I was getting off the bike, but watching the video tells a different story.

A video from a previous day showed me sticking my chest out but not getting my ass moved over... So I was focusing on moving my butt this time. Seems like in doing so, I forgot about the top of my body...

I have a ton more to work on (braking, especially, I think) but I was trying to work on body positioning and cornering this session (oh, the irony).

Also I think I need to work on looking through the corners more. The helmet cam is basically centered on my view, I think I'm focusing too close.
Thanks again all!

Last edited:

d.b

The telemetry is from a Garmin virb, it's what I'm using as the tail cam. The overlay is with the virb edit software. Then I used Sony Vegas to put the video in video from the helmet cam (sena 20c).