2017 rule change discussion

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
For those of you who are keen on making some of the races more laps, please remember a couple things.

1. The club is returning in less money per hour by extending the lengths of any given race.
2. The second half of the race is usually boring.
3. The second half of the race is usually when guys are shredding tires.
( - There are a bunch of guys who would race less races in a day if they were each a longer duration simply because they wouldn't have the tire left. We need numbers, like point 1.)

Also the nationals is not back to Castrol for 2017 (at least), so I personally don't think CSBK should have an impact on what the EMRA does with our races and our schedule to stay on time. Because making longer races will only hurt our schedule/offering.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
For those of you who are keen on making some of the races more laps, please remember a couple things.

1. The club is returning in less money per hour by extending the lengths of any given race.
2. The second half of the race is usually boring.
3. The second half of the race is usually when guys are shredding tires.
( - There are a bunch of guys who would race less races in a day if they were each a longer duration simply because they wouldn't have the tire left. We need numbers, like point 1.)

Also the nationals is not back to Castrol for 2017 (at least), so I personally don't think CSBK should have an impact on what the EMRA does with our races and our schedule to stay on time. Because making longer races will only hurt our schedule/offering.

This is missing the point of rearranging the schedule. The point is to figure out a way to get more bikes on the grids AND have more/better racing. Shortening races like you are suggesting was what we did last year, and that led unsatisfied racers. The answer to the clubs daily schedule problems is more than just cutting laps.

1. The club is a not for profit club. Quality of racing beats quantity any day.
2. The second half of the race is 'boring' as you say is more a factor of grid size and quality, has less to do with the number of laps.
3. Tire wear is a fact of life and different for every rider. So you speak for yourself on tire shredding. Invest in proper bike set up and correct compounds.

As for CSBK, that series is very competitive and successful. It offers great racing to a wide variety of motorcycles. CSBK has also done everything in its power to support and help the EMRA. So it is something to look towards. CSBK will be returning to the west, attracting and bringing a number of riders along with it. All it will take to land back at Castrol is proper sponsor and promotional support.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
This is missing the point of rearranging the schedule. The point is to figure out a way to get more bikes on the grids AND have more/better racing. Shortening races like you are suggesting was what we did last year, and that led unsatisfied racers. The answer to the clubs daily schedule problems is more than just cutting laps.
day. Uhhh, at no point did I ever suggest shortening the races.

1. The club is a not for profit club. Quality of racing beats quantity any day. i know, but without bringing money in from race fees the club will cease to exist in about two rounds right? We need to insure our return (race fees) of investment (rental fees).
2. The second half of the race is 'boring' as you say is more a factor of grid size and quality, has less to do with the number of laps. day. okay sure, I agree. But they are both factors, so lengthening the races will not do anything to help our show.
3. Tire wear is a fact of life and different for every rider. So you speak for yourself on tire shredding. Invest in proper bike set up and correct compounds.
day. Well to a degree I speak for anyone who shreds tires, as it wouldn't benefit those people. You also agreed with me that you think longer races is a bad idea on that ground alone lol so I don't know why this is debated. Plus it's not a matter of just investing. If there was a dollar figure that came with a guaranteed fix for tire wear, I'd be investing in it.

As for CSBK, that series is very competitive and successful. It offers great racing to a wide variety of motorcycles. CSBK has also done everything in its power to support and help the EMRA. So it is something to look towards. CSBK will be returning to the west, attracting and bringing a number of riders along with it. All it will take to land back at Castrol is proper sponsor and promotional support. Well one thing that won't influence whether CSBK comes back or not is the length of our races.

My comments are in red.

Now before you say okay what's your constructive ideas?... For the record, I think we nailed it when we chose 7/10 laps for the race length originally. And I think losing a lap each when we're behind schedule is reasonable. Any less than 6/9 is where quality suffers and I agree we will have unhappy racers.
I suggest combining Intermediate & Expert 600 Superbike and running split grids at the same start time (separated by 2 full rows) like Trevor B had suggested first. Those are the first two changes I vote we look at making to save time. Next step would be maybe combining another set of classes.

yak

I have a short attention span so I may have missed some of the above details, but I wanted to chip in on at least one subject.

The club is doing well financially; therefore within a pretty broad scope we do not need to base detailed scheduling issues on the financials.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
OK Just to clarify further, as this is a complex issue that is difficult to fully grasp based off information in multiple forum threads and post quotes. My comments are in blue (not Yamaha blue, just blue. Because green is just a super ugly color no one wants to see)...

1. The club is a not for profit club. Quality of racing beats quantity any day. i know, but without bringing money in from race fees the club will cease to exist in about two rounds right? We need to insure our return (race fees) of investment (rental fees).

I'm not totally up to date on the balance sheet but like Todd said the club is doing well. The club can afford to run over a year of track rentals fees and return $0 without ceasing to exist. It is offering safe quality racing over the years that has put us in this fortunate situation.

2. The second half of the race is 'boring' as you say is more a factor of grid size and quality, has less to do with the number of laps. day. okay sure, I agree. But they are both factors, so lengthening the races will not do anything to help our show.

Increasing the length will separate the men from the boys as they say. With our short season there needs to be something to help determine who the best racers are. The only race I proposed increasing more than two laps than currently scheduled is the Expert and Intermediate Superbike race. This was a request made by the top racers in those classes as well as a number of other riders.

day. Well to a degree I speak for anyone who shreds tires, as it wouldn't benefit those people. You also agreed with me that you think longer races is a bad idea on that ground alone lol so I don't know why this is debated. Plus it's not a matter of just investing. If there was a dollar figure that came with a guaranteed fix for tire wear, I'd be investing in it.

I don't think tire wear should determine the length of a race. If you want a tire that will last an entire weekend without any set up time run a Dunlop hard rear tire. It's indestructible. Not trying to sell Dunlops here (although they are the best and the hard compound tire will last forever) I'm sure Pirelli are ok-ish too.

As for CSBK, that series is very competitive and successful. It offers great racing to a wide variety of motorcycles. CSBK has also done everything in its power to support and help the EMRA. So it is something to look towards. CSBK will be returning to the west, attracting and bringing a number of riders along with it. All it will take to land back at Castrol is proper sponsor and promotional support. Well one thing that won't influence whether CSBK comes back or not is the length of our races.

Agreed, so lets not talk down about it not returning any time soon. Instead lets focus our efforts on talking about bringing it back.

I suggest combining Intermediate & Expert 600 Superbike and running split grids at the same start time (separated by 2 full rows) like Trevor B had suggested first. Those are the first two changes I vote we look at making to save time. Next step would be maybe combining another set of classes.

You touch on a couple good ideas, I'm glad you thought of those as well. Someone else might have made similar suggestions. You know what they say about great minds ;)

AIracing

lots of this is talk of time,
thought 1 racing on both days of the weekend just makes sense (if you want more track time for practice, go to trackdays).
thought 2 would doing a motocross style of timing races work (ie 30min plus 2 laps)

Peterjejew

Not sure where to ask this question, so here seemed to be as close as I could find. I tried to change my profile pic, and it loaded fine, but my old pic still shows up on my actual profile. Im not sure what do do about this. Am I doing something wrong? No link or anything.