ADVICE FOR NEW RACERS

Sam

Hi all. I thought I would start a thread for new racers / trackday junkies (me being both of those). There is lots of good information all over this site - and many many members that have a ton of good knowledge and experience to share.

I would like to pick the brains of all you experienced racers: What sort of gear / equipment do you bring to the track that us new guys and gals would easily overlook thinking about..... Things like a fire extinguisher, bag of ear plugs, first aid kit - just the basic things that are easily overlooked. Tools, rags, zip ties, duct tape, and drinks/food are obvious things.

What other useful items do you all suggest?

blam

Administrator
fire extinguisher is a requirement if you are a racer.

Personally, I don't arrive to track without the following:
Tent (costco has a really nice Coleman one right now with eaves for $170 - they go fast so buy it ASAP)
Gear Bag with Helmet Bag and Hanger - I put all my gear into this bag. I hang my suit between races to let it dry and air out
Bike fluids - oil, chain stuff, brake fluid, water/wetter,
Table and chair - both collapsible
Sports drinks. Water is not enough to keep you hydrated. bring at least 2 sports drinks for the day. (Gatorade/powerade etc)
Shop towels & Garbage bag
Dry clothes for after racing
Glasses Cleaner - dont use windex, it will mess up the coatings on your visor.
CASH. for vendors or parts from your fellow racers if you end up needing something in a bind
Power bar for your generator - I dont unplug my warmers. I just hit the power bar and off i go.
a strong FAN

my list is kind of long, but i only load a handful of items. all small items i keep in a crate. and I have 1 tool box. my load list is short:

bike, stands, crate, tool box, generator, tent, chair, gear bag, fan, cooler. nothing else.

if you want really easy loading get a utility cart with big wheels and roll it on/off your trailer with all your stuff.

Reactions: Sam

DEFBOY35

Having spares such as clip on bars and foot pegs, frame sliders could be the difference between going down and being ready to go in 20 minutes vs calling it a day or scrambling hoping someone has the parts you need. (As awesome as it is to have vendors at the track. He can't stock everything!)
A pit tent is definitely nice to keep you a bit cooler in some shade. And a bit drier if it's wet.

Reactions: Sam

Snak

EMRA Executive Member
On the subject of spares I highly recommend a tackle box to hold everything. I picked up one of these http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plano-drawer-1374-tackle-box-0786622p.html#srp last year. It cuts down on the amount of stuff you have to load and nothing spills if it tips over.

The other thing I bring for a pit is some kitchen garbage bags. The castrol garbage cans are pretty spread out/inconvenient, this way at the end of the day just throw the whole bag out.

Jason Henton

I have a pretty long list of stuff I pack, But some of the stuff that might not come to mind are towels (think drying sweat off yourself)), sunscreen & sunglasses, bug spray, cash for gate fees, and a broom also helps for keeping your pit tidy...

411ninja

Bring your food and snacks. Sometimes the concession is open and sometimes it isn't - especially on track nights.
Duct tape - red and bike colored.
A notebook - racers are great at giving advice, rather than trying to remember it start a notebook to keep all your idea, tire pressures, and changes you have made to the bike. (That's the librarian in me!)

electrobiker86

The tackle box idea has also saved me a lot of time and wondering do I have the... ? Now the parts, oils, sprays etc.ear plugs, are already in the box.
Some way to take tire temps, I use non contact thermography.
Way to let air out, put air into tires.
Looks like anything else I bring is mentioned above or on the obvious list!

DEFBOY35

A good tire gauge. One that is consistent and measures on par with the tire guys so that when you are asking for pressures it's oranges to oranges.
And when doing your pressures try to always use your gauge for the same reasons.

blam

Administrator
for those that are super anal about your stuff being properly calibrated, I get my stuff calibrated (tq wrenches, heat gun, tire gauge) at westech labs in nisku.

great guy and he loves motorcycles.

majikx

Here are some tips for everyone..

First round is done and we have had a month between. How many can say that they ha e actually worked on their bikes. I mean worked on things like setup, suspension, geometry. Maybe the brakes? Clean lube make sure that the front wheel spins freely?, air cleaner?, checked all the bolts in handlebars, pegs, ect..?

Maybe it's because I now sell tires, but I was always under the assumption that all guys used new tires each round for a min at least race day.. however it is very surprising to me to see how many guys use, used tires, try to use them till there is absolutely nothing left on them, and then the struggle to lower their lap times.. there is nothing more important then tires. Guys spend money on motors getting more hp, guys spend money on brake levers or fancy bolts or decals, rad lines, dyno runs, full exhausts, clip ons, but won't spend the money that connects all of that to the asphalt.. or the suspension that connects the tire to the bike.
I watched last race round how many guys simply go out in practice and ride.. then come in, put warmers on the bike, and sit and wait to the next session only to do the same. Then they come over and ask me why they can't go any faster? What's wrong.? if you watch at least in the ZBM pits youll probably notice we are always working on the bikes, changing things, trying new things. this is why you have all the adjustment on your bikes... last weekend I spent 2 sessions moving and adjusting my bars and brake lever to a point I felt comfortable.. how many have actually tried moving bars and a lever to see if they find a more comfortable position?

Practice days are practice days.. you should be trying all sorts of things to see if you can get the bike setup a bit better. Going out each session changing nothing will result in nothing changing.

You mark your settings before you start to change and if you dont like you go back to where it was and at least it's back, but if you dobt try things how is it going to get better.

If you goto a sbk weekend, ama, CSBK, wsbk, motogp.. you'll notice guys frantically working adjusting things in between sessions. They are trying different things to find a better set-up. Why is it only them that do this? Why not You? there is alot of info on the internet, there is your coaches from your race school.. there is top guys that would help if you asked.. use the experience of the guys.

And one last rant about tires. Dobt be cheap with the 1/2 inch of rubber connecting to to the ground at 200kph... think about it.

Mike

DEFBOY35

Another bit of advice for not just the new racers but all. Be active within the club when you can, help out with track set up or tear down a couple times a year. If every racer helped out just once a year we would never have a shortage of people doing it. Don't let it always be the same people always doing it. And it definitely shouldn't be left to our volunteers picking up the slack after they put in a full day making it possible for us to race in the first place.
Other clubs make it mandatory to put in time to be promoted out of novice. I'd like to think we shouldn't have to force people to want to help out.