Hotel for banquet

blam

Administrator
5 minutes, no, but on the corner of gateway and ellerslie might be the closest? or the holiday inn on gateway and 23rd isnt too far. maybe a 20 minute stumble?

the_fornicator

Dave T (Tromfinuk?? I'm butchering that spelling) was gracious enough last year to have a friend that owns/manages a hotel reach out to the EMRA to give us a group rate on his hotel regardless of how many (little) people we had booked in. I think we had less than 5 the previous 2 years.

This year, that hotel is reaaaaaaally far away so it's not a feasible option. I've reached out to several hotels in the surrounding area and most hotels require a minimum number of rooms to be booked first before they give us a group rate -the magic number seems to be 10 rooms. The group rate saves people, on average, around $20.

If 10 people can commit to booking a room, it's easy enough to sort out. We just need to know 10 people can commit. Otherwise, 1 person bailing can cost 9 other people a bit of money.

edit: I'm not with exec -just helping out.

blam

Administrator
yeah, you probably want to make a plan to shack up with others coming from calgary if thats where you're coming from.

i imagine there will be at least a few people coming in from there. either that or make friends at the banquet. I heard that wilson kwan guy puts out.

Jason Henton

Thanks for the info, I was more asking in case anyone had a sponsor etc already lining something up. Support the people that support us (racers) type of thing!

the_fornicator

But there are a TON of hotels near South Common that are inexpensive. During my search for group rates, I found a group of hotels on Calgary Trail and Ellerslie (so a 10 min cab away).

$93/night dependent on demand.
Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South, Alberta, Canada
Website
Directions
4.3Address: 10020 12 Ave SW, Edmonton, AB T6X 0P9
Phone: (780) 801-2600

$95/night dependent on demand.
Sandman Signature Hotel
Website
Directions
4.1Address: 10111 Ellerslie Rd SW, Edmonton, AB T6X 0J3
Phone: (780) 430-7263

$113/night
Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton Gateway
Website
Directions
4.4Address: 10010 12 Ave SW, Edmonton, AB T6X 0P9
Phone: (780) 801-4000

$104/night
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Edmonton South
Website
Directions
4.4Address: 1115 103A St SW, Edmonton, AB T6W 1A1
Phone: (780) 540-5110

the_fornicator

Also, I do not suggest staying in a hotel like the Raddison on Whitemud + Calgary Trail. You cannot escape the traffic noise in a hotel like that since Calgary Trail in on the west side and Gateway is on the east side of the hotel.

Whatever hotel you go with, ask to be placed in a room not facing the main road.