2018 Rule Change Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEFBOY35

I would be willing to rig up something that could accomplish this, as long as the club is willing to pay for parts.

If we have a reliable air/power source, I could even set it up to run off that, so the club wouldn't have to buy the air canisters anymore.
Do you have a rough idea of what all would be needed and an approximate cost? I think with how much we spend a year on air horns that if we could build a system that could be mounted at the top of the stands it would travel well over the pits would be great. Especially if it relieves the gate volunteers from having to leave the gate to do so.

Being that it's not a rule change , you can send me your idea and estimated cost over email and we can discuss with the exec on potentially implementing this for next season.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I'd like to propose that the team who won the team championship one year, cannot return the immediate next year as the same group. My reason for this is that after the first year where ZBM ran away with it, we thought that would be repeated again. This may have held back a few people from being interested in throwing in a team.
This year with Trevor missing some rounds and the whole ZBM team doing less races it became a race between two other teams which I felt made it pretty exciting between those guys with a shot at it.

My idea is basically to try and spread the trophies around. I'd like to see more members getting an opportunity to bring home some hardware. Instead of just the same handful of people taking home everything every year.

Dave86

Lots of good points brought up...
What about getting one person from each class needing to be gridded on points to do up the grid fro a race weekend. And giving that responsibility to someone else for the following weekend. Is it easy enough for the registration person to just email the points (May even be available on line) and the registered riders for the race weekend to a specific person on Thursday (Please make sure you email to someone actually racing that weekend) and get that person to do the grid. Could even get 2 people to do the grid separately, that way you have someone double checking points and you have a back up? Takes time and stress off registration person, and means the person doing the points grid only does one race. Just a thought

While I appreciate the idea of spreading the work around, ultimately all the grids still have to entered in the timing system which can only be done by one person, whether the points have been matched up to entrants already or not.

I've been trying to automate as much of the registration and timing process as possible to make things run more efficiently, and thought this might be a good next step but it's not sounding like a popular idea from what I'm reading, and this is why I wanted to put it out there to get feedback. It's really not that huge a deal to keep doing gridding the way we have, and the process can be sped up a bit by having somebody read off the championship order to the person ordering the grids.

From what I've read, it sounds like MotorSportReg (registration system) have future plans to interface directly between their registration system and the Orbits timing system, which would make the process a lot more streamlined, but that's a lot of programming so it may take a while to get there.

Disco Duc

Personally, I don't think that the previous Intermediate Champ needs a special number coming into the next season. To me its like giving the MVP from the AHL the same number as the NHL MVP. (you make up a different analogy, but you get my point)
Yes, that rider did win the premier intermediate race class, but that rider is now in a new class. .....although, I do like the fact that the club wants to reward the intermediate SBK champ!
What about giving the Intermediate SBK champ number "00"?

Disco Duc

On a completely different topic,

I would like to propose that we modify the 600 class rules to accept the Ducati 848.
Mission, and Gimli both run the 848's in the 600 class, and they are also legal to run in events like the Daytona 200.
Horsepower and weight numbers are very comparable to all the current 600's.
Please let me know what you guys (and girls) think.
Thanks!
Ryan

Goatse

I would like to propose that we modify the 600 class rules to accept the Ducati 848.
Mission, and Gimli both run the 848's in the 600 class, and they are also legal to run in events like the Daytona 200.
Thanks!
Ryan

A quick Google shows Ducati advertised those at 140 (crank) hp and many different sources show 115-118 at the rear wheel when stock, and mid 120's with a simple tune and exhaust. That would be one heck of a stout 600. I would think the 848 would be more comparable to the GSXR 750, which we do not allow in the 600 classes.

Scotia

I wanted to propose changing all classes (with the exception of Novice, which would remain random grids) to qualifying, as the process of gridding would take around 20 minutes instead of a couple hours (the MyLaps Orbits system cannot generate grids automatically based on championship points, it can only automate grid spots based on qualifying times).

Hey, everyone!

I’d like to second this.

As it stands, “qualifying” has seemingly, and simply, been a glorified practice run. The current system keeps the rich, rich, and the poor, poor. And, ultimately, penalizes those who may have missed a race due to life, injury, or having simply moved up in class.

We’ll all have good days, bad days, injuries we’re nursing or parts that aren’t quite working. This - proposed - way, it keeps you, and the race, in a real-time momentum of actual state, instead of what historically was.

As for the concern toward those who may potentially miss the Friday session of a double header: most business owners won’t have a 9-5, Monday to Friday, nor do most of us within the oil industry. The day itself is a formality. Beit Tuesday, Friday or Sunday, any day off is a vacation day taken for a fair few, here in Alberta.

Cheers

Last edited:

Scotia

In regards to the topic of Formula 112 and the entry into Fast 25: I’m one of those riders who does not -yet- make the list of the fastest 25 registered racers, yet has gone faster than the formula. It’d be nice to have the eligibility to continue onward to -and, enter into-, another race that would allow for progression, rather than being held back and asked to sandbag.

For myself, this wasn’t a relative case until the last weekend of the season anyhow, but it’s one that I’m sure others have faced, and one that I’d like to not, next year.

Might I propose the creation of guidelines for such an instance -to enter into Fast 25..?

Thanks!

Disco Duc

A quick Google shows Ducati advertised those at 140 (crank) hp and many different sources show 115-118 at the rear wheel when stock, and mid 120's with a simple tune and exhaust. That would be one heck of a stout 600. I would think the 848 would be more comparable to the GSXR 750, which we do not allow in the 600 classes.

When we raced the 848's in Calgary (middleweight class etc), all of our classes were dyno classes. My 848 with a tune and exhaust ran roughly 113-115hp. Most, if not all of the top 600cc bikes that were in that class were all in the same area.
Some of the top 600cc bikes were pushing over 120hp at the rear wheel with an exhaust and tune.
Regardless of the numbers, ALL of these bikes were dyno'd on the same dyno.......

Snak

EMRA Executive Member
5.14 Fast 25 (Combined class Intermediate-Expert)
  • Open to all Intermediate and Expert racers.
  • Motorcycle must meet Superbike technical requirements.
  • Entrants will be restricted to the fastest 25 racers from the Saturday (or Friday) Practice day as recorded by the EMRA timing system.
  • Gridding will be determined by lap times (as recorded by the club timing system) the fastest lap time will be gridded first and so on. If there is no practice day; gridding will be by points.
  • If there are more than 25 entries then those that qualify 26th or lower will not race but they will have their entry fee refunded
It's the perfect race to bridge int and experts together.

A few ideas I had thought of this season were to make it a bracket race like f112 but on the other side of the cut off time.
The rider must have completed a 1:28 (or what ever we figure the time) in a race or in practice.

I like the idea of making it a lower cap of 1:28 (break out of F112) and removing the fastest 25 and the 25 racer cap from the rules. Honestly, the pay out is cool but I just like the opportunity to get on grid with some of the experts.

As Neil said a re-name might be in order for the class.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
As for the concern toward those who may potentially miss the Friday session of a double header: most business owners won’t have a 9-5, Monday to Friday, nor do most of us within the oil industry. The day itself is a formality. Beit Tuesday, Friday or Sunday, any day off is a vacation day taken for a fair few, here in Alberta.

Cheers

I used to think the same thing till I actually couldn't get the Friday of the last round off. And there are quite a few with mon-fri (or mon-sat) jobs. Reality and responsibility sucks.
As few of us are cash sponsored racers, reality is we are slaves to work to afford this hobby.

Scotia

I used to think the same thing till I actually couldn't get the Friday of the last round off. And there are quite a few with mon-fri (or mon-sat) jobs. Reality and responsibility sucks.
As few of us are cash sponsored racers, reality is we are slaves to work to afford this hobby.

I apologize if my text came across with such ambiguity. Your statement is akin to what I was attempting to say, and, as such, I’m
in agreement with you. What I was trying to convey is that - especially here, in Alberta- many jobs are Monday-Sunday, week after week. Meaning, whether it’s a Friday, Sunday or a Tuesday, that person has to use up their allotment of vacation time, just the same.

electrobiker86

I would be willing to rig up something that could accomplish this, as long as the club is willing to pay for parts.

If we have a reliable air/power source, I could even set it up to run off that, so the club wouldn't have to buy the air canisters anymore.
I have some electrical parts and pieces / cables I would be willing to donate if needed

electrobiker86

For those close enough that can actually hear the speakers.
And only over fm when Stu has the chance to announce it. He's usually on top of it, but things happen.

An air horn mounted to the back of the stands would travel pretty well.
Would also have the added benefit of scaring the crap out of the spectators :)
I agree if you can't hear the horn, not much chance of hearing the speakers.

bgo62

Thanks!
Ryan
im in favor of this motion ....It would be nice to see the 848 running with the 600's .

Helios909

Thanks!
Ryan

Agree - Ducati needs all the help they can get to be competitive! I think the "600" class is a misnomer anyway due to various engine types and displacements versus RWHP output...

Status
Not open for further replies.