Race fairings

Logan

Hey all,
I just replaced my race fairings on the bike I bought as the old ones were pretty toast. I got them fitted but I have a gap under the tail. The old fairing came down lower and the old owner had cut the undertail tray. I have a good 4-5" gap now. Is this acceptable?

On a second note, what are you guys doing for paint? I got quoted around 1000 for painting my fairings.... For a bike that I am at some point laying down I can't justify that. Rattle cans? Someone cheaper than a grand?

Thanks.

Attachments

• received_10160032069020486.jpeg
    received_10160032069020486.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 33

Cinder

my undertail section is all open... don't worry about it. Maybe smooth out the edges on the black piece

gixxer60_0

I use spray cans with a clear coat. Looks pretty good. Not like a true spray gun quality but looks good enough for my budget. I know some guys use Plasti Coat, this makes it much easier to remove and change colors. It peels off but don't get gas on it or it will peel off. If you can paint with out doing runs and have a decent place to do it giver the spray cans a try.

blam

Administrator
Logan, to answer your questions

1. the gap - makes no difference. as long as the tail is secure from flying off, it doesnt matter. if it was me, I'd probably just cover it with vinyl.

2. paint - professional paint job is expensive. at 100ft and 100km/h, no one can tell. as mentioned above, you can rattle can it if you care to do that. you can even leave it unpainted if you dont care. there's no rules for style.
lots of guys are switching to wrap vinyl. cost is varies from $35-50/linear yard. (comes 60" wide) you need 4 yards. 5 if you plan to fuck up a lot.

Logan

Logan, to answer your questions

1. the gap - makes no difference. as long as the tail is secure from flying off, it doesnt matter. if it was me, I'd probably just cover it with vinyl.

2. paint - professional paint job is expensive. at 100ft and 100km/h, no one can tell. as mentioned above, you can rattle can it if you care to do that. you can even leave it unpainted if you dont care. there's no rules for style.
lots of guys are switching to wrap vinyl. cost is varies from $35-50/linear yard. (comes 60" wide) you need 4 yards. 5 if you plan to fuck up a lot.

Thanks Brian. I'll look at vinyl, if not rattle can.

DEFBOY35

I've done rattle can the last few attempts and have been happy with the results. Looks great in pics. Ha

Like you I can't justify an expensive paint job that realistically might not even last a lap. I speak from experience.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
For those of you who do the rattle cans, where do you buy them?

I know Canadian Tire is an option, but I believe there are better choices out there, I just don't know what they are.

bgo62

I buy my paint from caps ( central alberta paint ) the have in house made spray cans or will make custom paint colors . as well they also offer 2 part or 1 part clearcoat and top quality primers

Snak

EMRA Executive Member
The 2k cans work well if you don't have access to a paint gun and compressor.

Just remember to read the instructions with the 2K rattle cans. There is a mixer you have to depress on the bottom to activate the 2nd part (hardener), otherwise the primer/paint/clear will not cure correctly.

Sk8sloppy

If you're in calgary and just want paint and clear on your bodywork I can spray it cheap (One color only). Send me a text. 403 519 8263