Safety Castrol racetrack

Julien

Now that the full racing schedule has been released and confirmed can someone from the executive confirm that the safety modification requested by the Emra have been completed and confirmed?

I am talking about the safety modifications that we were told were a mandatory change and would be a basis for not running 2019 racing season if not completed (move off wall turn 1, removal or wall turn 3, removal of tombstone turn 4, move of wall turn 11 and so on).

blam

Administrator
I'm not exec, so I am a bit out of the loop, but i believe these changes have not happened as of the AGM. with the festival of lights running i doubt they were able to do anything.

they have removed fencing poles from turn 1, but have not moved the wall yet
wall 3 cannot be removed.
tombstones are likely still being used for the festival of lights
and turn 11 wall has not been moved.

I do firmly feel turn 1 will be done for season start, as will the tombstones and other poles being removed/cut short.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Now that the full racing schedule has been released and confirmed can someone from the executive confirm that the safety modification requested by the Emra have been completed and confirmed?

I am talking about the safety modifications that we were told were a mandatory change and would be a basis for not running 2019 racing season if not completed (move off wall turn 1, removal or wall turn 3, removal of tombstone turn 4, move of wall turn 11 and so on).

Hi Julien, a few things. First, glad to see you have an interest in improving safety, do you plan on racing with the club next season? Just curious because I thought I saw that you were moving and selling your race bike?

Second, on the topic of what has been done at Castrol raceway, this was discussed in great length during the AGM by all the members present. Minutes will be posted ASAP, but as you can see our website is also currently undergoing construction to better suit our members. Long story short, to answer your question as best I can, the turn 1 wall has been partially removed, other changes remain in the works, the EMRA executive has reached an agreement with Castrol raceway that satisfies our requests so far to the point we are able to confirm our 2019 race dates. The construction schedule remains a fluid one as we are clearly in the middle of winter. The EMRA members and executive is and always has been committed to making racing as safe as we can and we will always continually improve this.

Third, I have to say the information you have is not accurate "move off wall turn 1, removal or wall turn 3, removal of tombstone turn 4, move of wall turn 11 and so on." and the spread of misinformation in this case has led you to make false assumptions and false promises. Just like any news we get these days it is up to us as individuals to question the source, accuracy and motives of the information we get.

Last, Please remember the EMRA, it's executives and all it's members are just a bunch of guys and girls with a love for motorcycle racing, that just want to put on and be a part of the best racing we can.

Julien

Hi Julien, a few things. First, glad to see you have an interest in improving safety, do you plan on racing with the club next season? Just curious because I thought I saw that you were moving and selling your race bike?

Second, on the topic of what has been done at Castrol raceway, this was discussed in great length during the AGM by all the members present. Minutes will be posted ASAP, but as you can see our website is also currently undergoing construction to better suit our members. Long story short, to answer your question as best I can, the turn 1 wall has been partially removed, other changes remain in the works, the EMRA executive has reached an agreement with Castrol raceway that satisfies our requests so far to the point we are able to confirm our 2019 race dates. The construction schedule remains a fluid one as we are clearly in the middle of winter. The EMRA members and executive is and always has been committed to making racing as safe as we can and we will always continually improve this.

Third, I have to say the information you have is not accurate "move off wall turn 1, removal or wall turn 3, removal of tombstone turn 4, move of wall turn 11 and so on." and the spread of misinformation in this case has led you to make false assumptions and false promises. Just like any news we get these days it is up to us as individuals to question the source, accuracy and motives of the information we get.

Last, Please remember the EMRA, it's executives and all it's members are just a bunch of guys and girls with a love for motorcycle racing, that just want to put on and be a part of the best racing we can.

Ok i’ll answer point by point as well.

-Not that it matters to this whole topic but yes i plan on making it to a couple rounds.

-Minutes were posted mid December but since taken down (due to website work). I had a chance to read them but the level of detail regarding safety improvements is vague. I couldn’t personally make it to the Agm and believe me i tried.

-If my information are a trail of misinformation it would be appreciated if you could set the record straight and list exactly what what requested, what was done, what is to be done.

To finish i want to say that Sean was my best friend and it is partially why i take this matter at heart. I would hate to see anyone hurt again due to negligence.
I fully understand that the EMRA is run by a bunch of guys and girls (like you said) but that may also be where it falls short. The track hasn’t been as safe as it can be. The club was fully aware that the post were a major hasard, the club did nothing about it and i would hate to see the same type of scenario happen again.

DEFBOY35

-Not that it matters to this whole topic but yes i plan on making it to a couple rounds.

-Minutes were posted mid December but since taken down (due to website work). I had a chance to read them but the level of detail regarding safety improvements is vague. I couldn’t personally make it to the Agm and believe me i tried.

-If my information are a trail of misinformation it would be appreciated if you could set the record straight and list exactly what what requested, what was done, what is to be done.

To finish i want to say that Sean was my best friend and it is partially why i take this matter at heart. I would hate to see anyone hurt again due to negligence.
I fully understand that the EMRA is run by a bunch of guys and girls (like you said) but that may also be where it falls short. The track hasn’t been as safe as it can be. The club was fully aware that the post were a major hasard, the club did nothing about it and i would hate to see the same type of scenario happen again.

I agree it did come across very vague in the minutes. The only thing clear at the agm was that we want to see changes and that very little has been done at this point.

I think having a dedicated thread as to what was requested and initially agreed upon by Castrol would be a good thing so all membership can be on board. Not everyone is able to attend the agm. And as already said wasn't very clear in the minutes which are not accessible at the moment.

As for us racing in the past. We all knew what we were dealing with and constantly tried to have improvements made. And have done what we could as a club to try and improve what we could on our own. Including removing poles. Unfortunately it wasn't enough with hindsight being what it is. That being said. It has been an item that Castrol was well aware of and should have dealt with sooner. It hurts us all that it came to the loss of Sean.

It will be important that the racing community and the track day community stay strong together if we hope for any improvements to be completed.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Hi Julien, I've responded within your quote... you might have to click to expand it to see my thoughts.

-Not that it matters to this whole topic but yes i plan on making it to a couple rounds. Cool! Come say hi at round 1 or your first one back

-Minutes were posted mid December but since taken down (due to website work). I had a chance to read them but the level of detail regarding safety improvements is vague. I couldn’t personally make it to the Agm and believe me i tried. I believe at the time this meeting was held, there had not been complete answers from Castrol and there was little to update the membership about, as Jon said its very fluid and an ongoing situation. Castrol management takes time away from work just like all of us and since the season ended they have been gone for several weeks, plus the MOL festival has occupied all of their time as of late. We're pretty confident in the future improvements at Castrol (which can be relieving to everyone), confident enough to confirm our 2019 dates and begin promoting the upcoming season.

-If my information are a trail of misinformation it would be appreciated if you could set the record straight and list exactly what what requested, what was done, what is to be done. How much time do you have? We could have a phone call if you wanted, its a lot to type out but basically we have made several requests. Castrol was very receptive and open to all of them. The list of changes has been prioritized, and hopefully the weather cooperates (amongst other factors) and they can get more than just the most critical changes made before round 1.

To finish i want to say that Sean was my best friend and it is partially why i take this matter at heart. I would hate to see anyone hurt again due to negligence. Agreed

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Hardnox and OTP pulled out...
That in itself raise the question of who is running the race school

Just give us a bit more time, we're working on putting together some good news and information to give the members. Please remember we try to manage this club in our spare time, yet its often like its own part time job.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Hardnox and OTP pulled out...
That in itself raise the question of who is running the race school
Hi Julien, I can't stress enough in this case how important it is to post pertinent, accurate information to prevent the spread of untrue rumors and create false expectations.

The race school is and always has been run entirely by the EMRA. It's racers, executive and volunteers. Rob Darlington helped instruct one group last year, and the last time Justin Knapik helped out at the race school was 2017. Their contributions in the past are greatly appreciated and as always they are more than welcome to help out this year.

Thad, we will be in touch, enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Julien

Jon I was asking the question about the race school and not trying to spread rumors.

I understand it takes time to put a plan together but the members are pretty much left in the dark and all they can see is the other two track renters pulling out because of safety concerns.
We really are in an unprecedented situation and transparency is something that would be appreciated.

Brian, thank you for your answer on the matter. I look forward to the news.

ps: Jon it would be appreciated if you could post pertinent, accurate information to prevent the spread of untrue rumors and create false expectations. I haven’t been on vacation in a long time...

Hi Julien, I can't stress enough in this case how important it is to post pertinent, accurate information to prevent the spread of untrue rumors and create false expectations.

The race school is and always has been run entirely by the EMRA. It's racers, executive and volunteers. Rob Darlington helped instruct one group last year, and the last time Justin Knapik helped out at the race school was 2017. Their contributions in the past are greatly appreciated and as always they are more than welcome to help out this year.

Thad, we will be in touch, enjoy the rest of your vacation!

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Jon I was asking the question about the race school and not trying to spread rumors.

I understand it takes time to put a plan together but the members are pretty much left in the dark and all they can see is the other two track renters pulling out because of safety concerns.
We really are in an unprecedented situation and transparency is something that would be appreciated.

Brian, thank you for your answer on the matter. I look forward to the news.

ps: Jon it would be appreciated if you could post pertinent, accurate information to prevent the spread of untrue rumors and create false expectations. I haven’t been on vacation in a long time...

The entire plan was reviewed during the AGM, sorry you missed that. That conversation was hours long. If you like next time you are in Edmonton let me know, we will go to the track and walk it and I will personally show you the changes being made and discuss the plans we have. The only thing I ask is please understand I work a 9-5 job, as well as over time so I can afford my hobbies, so I need a bit of heads up. To be very brief the changes to turn 1 and turn 3 are underway. Castrol raceway has purchased hay bales to be used much like they were during CSBK. We are trying to arrange a date for an first aid course with the Dees, Castrol raceway has donated their classroom for this. Castrol Raceway has also donated another Air fence fund raiser evening track attack, stay tuned for more info on that. I hoping to arrange a fund raiser event in Calgary for our community there. A plan is in place to meet on site as soon as the snow melts, as some of the changes planned will require the ground work they are proposed on to be reviewed (for example we can't put a 10000lbs block in mud and we can't eliminated it because it separates 2 way traffic on track).

I hope this helps, please understand none of us will be on track if changes aren't made. Also please, take the time, take my invitation to see the changes yourself. Give me a hand with this, March 10 well be the date for the fund raiser, want help me organized one in Calgary? You mentioned race school, what are you doing May 18th, want to come help out with it? We could use your help. Let me know if you can help.

DEFBOY35

To be fair in regards to the race school. It's a common misconception being that justin was the one heading it up for the Emra for quite some time. As well the majority of the OTP instructors also help out with the Emra race school. So pretty easy to see how many people may have thought that.

As for the information which has been requested. The excuse of its too long to type out is pretty silly. Since it could easily be copied and pasted from the emails it originated in.

Here's to hoping the changes are actually made.

Last edited:

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I want to highlight something Jon wrote in here in case it was overlooked.

I hope this helps, please understand none of us will be on track if changes aren't made.

This has come to the forefront again lately because of HardNox cancelling. Right now, a lot of the exec feel like the bad guys and feel under attack. Part of being on the exec is understanding that we'll never make everyone happy but it still sucks sometimes. There have been negative comments towards the EMRA from some people because they think the EMRA doesn't take the same stance as HardNox. We DO take the same stance with Castrol as HX does. Like Jon's quote above, the EMRA would be making the same public service announcement if the changes weren't going to be done. They will be done, but they weren't done by November as we originally asked of Castrol and so therefore HardNox decided to cancel their season on the (totally fair) grounds that they felt Castrol's commitment was not there. The EMRA is sticking it out over the winter (for our members!!!) to keep Castrol accountable of their promises and make sure the changes get done, that involved the EMRA taking a potential risk (external factors like bad weather) by putting forth a non-refundable deposit of $16,500. This was what it took to ensure we have a 2019 season.

Are the changes all done yet? Nope.
So do we have an update? Not yet, i personally would rather update the club with good news not no-news.

What we want to do is put together a good news post with pictures and proof to set everyone at ease but please be patient. What we DON'T want to do, is say changes have been made until they have actually been made as that would bite us all in the ass. We want to under-promise and over-deliver. If there has not been enough updates for the members its because there has not been much to update you with, and because we have jobs to focus on primarily so that we can do this on the side. I've personally spent probably 8hrs of my last two days when i should have been working just managing some of the conversation regarding the EMRA to keep people from raising their pitchforks prematurely.

As far as the race school goes, like Shane said yes its always been an EMRA thing. Rob Darlington and Justin Knapik have such a great deal of experience and we always wanted a good partnership so they were awesome to help run and direct the school. When the changes have been made at Castrol and the race school date is approaching I will be calling both those close friends of mine in hopes they are free to participate. I need competition in the mock race, Brad Gavey doesn't try to win anymore ever since he got in shit for crashing with a Pilipino kid in 2017.

Also Julien that vacation comment Jon made was for Thad (Gixxer60_0) He's visiting some fancy tracks in some fancy part of the world right now. :)

DEFBOY35

Thanks brian. As much as I know the exec would rather wait to post up good news and updates showing actual work being accomplished this goes back to conversations you and I have had. When members. Or fellow exec for that matter ask questions. A simple. Sorry. There is no updates at this time. Goes a long way and puts the memberships mind at ease and it only took me approx 12 seconds to write out that sentence. 12 seconds that goes a long way towards transparency as Jullian suggested.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Small update for everyone on the edge of their seats.... We will be having another MotoGP air fence fund raiser at the Provincial Pub, 11am, Sunday, March 10, 2019. Once again we will have some great food and good times and watch the start of the MotoGP season. Castrol Raceway has once again kindly donated another evening track night for us to help raise funds at this event. So for everyone that makes it out to the Provincial Pub we will have another track night special, $75 donation to air fence and you are in.

For our Calgary friends and riders, the fine folks at Wild Rose Brewery will be hosting a fund raiser event. I hope we can make it a huge success! Same time, March 10, 11am at Wild Rise Brewery we will have an air fence fund raiser. MotoGP will be on the big screen and Wild Rose will be serving their delicious beverages. I recently discovered Barracks Brown, oh man, amazing. If you don't know a brown ale from a IPA, from a lager, give this Brown Ale a try. It has some great chocolate and espresso notes followed by a body that not too big and not small, it's just right. and I digress....

Air fence is huge for our on track safety, every dollar raised goes to maintaining and acquiring new blocks for our club. Please bust out the calendar, circle the dates, there's one in Calgary and one in Edmonton, together we can all build something better. See you guys there. I will of course post full event details as they come, so stay tuned.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
We are currently putting together a massive purchase of air fence, working on price and some design details. It will probably be between $35000-$40000, this purchase will repair the damaged blocks from last year as well as put around 15 more blocks on track. Hay bales and covers for the bales have been ordered.

One thing that makes a purchase like this possible is our Airfence fundraisers, lets all do our part and have some fun in the process and make it out to these events. At the upcoming fund raisers we will once again be offering a special track night. HUGE THANK YOU to Castrol Raceway for giving us this opportunity! This year's track night will be Sept 9. $75 at either the Wild Rose or Provincial Pub fun raisers will get you a spot. It will be the cheapest track night of the year by a long shot and every dollar from it will go to maintaining and improving our track safety. Right now Sept 9 is scheduled will be the final time in 2019 bikes will be on track at Castrol raceway, so it should be a great send off for the season. I hope you all can make it out!