Safety Castrol racetrack

DEFBOY35

I'd imagine there must be some unreported progress on castrols part in order to feel confident in dropping the 35-40k at this particular time.
Are the bales and covers coming out of the clubs pockets. Or did that mean that Castrol has ordered them?

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Nothing to hide hear Shane, take off the tin foil hat haha.

$35000 was the number I had given at the AGM and no one opposed. Might go up to $40000 due to increased production costs, as Owen had mentioned at the AGM. Brian is working on bringing the costs down with Norseman.

This order must be made shortly to ensure we get it before race school, simple as that. Castrol Raceway has ordered the hay bales and covers and is paying for the costs as they will remain on the track all season.

Of course we are confident, we have a signed, very favorable contract with Castrol Raceway, who have made it clear to us through this contract changes will be made at the track. No sense being negative or keeping this money in the bank when it could be put towards the best year yet and used to further improve our safety.

Things are really shaping up, the executive has put in a TON of work already towards this season. Everyone has worked towards positive change on so many levels. Already we have doubled our efforts in terms of fundraising for air fence purchases. Response to the Calgary fundraiser at Wild Rose Brewery has been over whelming. The responses we have received from vendors, everyone at Castrol Raceway and sponsors in all areas of the EMRA and motorcycle community has been incredible. The EMRA is set to offer all its members more than ever before, and is building towards an incredible 2019 season.

So get ready, race season is coming, if you smell a delicious, crispy smell, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!

DEFBOY35

I appreciate the answers to questions asked regardless of the condescending opening line.
Being that there is little information made public and the website being down making meeting minutes unavailable at the moment, Questions I would think are to be expected.
I'd love to see the favorable contract in order to have the same optimism.
Don't forget that at the same agm. It was also brought up that the track wasn't designed for motorcycles and that they would be fine if we decided to not come back.
But I do truly hope that things get done, and that there will be racing at a much improved facility to make it the best year yet.
I do understand the timeline of trying to get the order in time for the first event. But up until this point the talk has been the club is willing to risk the 16k hoping the changes get made. Now that risk is potentially up to 56k if the changes are not completed as promised. I am sure you can respect that being questioned as there has been no progress on castrols part (other than the freshly mentioned ordering of bales) in order for you to put out an update since the agm.

toybm

It's probably safe to say the answer is no if they are not replying.
I was just thinking the same thing.
I'm not sure how I feel about this year. Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Or maybe it's because this has been an ongoing topic and concern since I started racing at Castrol, with seemingly little action by the facility.
Or is it a combination of both?

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
February put a lot of outside work behind schedule, but they’ve cleared the snow to prepare to move turns 1 and 3 walls since the weather turned. Only physical update at this time.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I was just thinking the same thing.
I'm not sure how I feel about this year. Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Or maybe it's because this has been an ongoing topic and concern since I started racing at Castrol, with seemingly little action by the facility.
Or is it a combination of both?

This year is going to be unreal! More track time, for cheaper, at all levels, from track days to racing. We have worked our butts off and built a club that is capable of that. I'm staying optimistic and pushing for the best, quitting gets you no where and doesn't inspire or contribute to any kind of change.

'You don't quit the game because you get old, you get old because you quit the game.'

The track is changing, little bit by little bit, Rome wasn't built over night.

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
Hey Jeremy,
Sorry for the late reply as we don't watch the forum daily.
All the safety changes we agreed upon with Castrol will happen.
There is no way they could afford to lose their largest renter (we have the most days booked out of any organization at Castrol)....
Plus on top of that, they need us to help run their track days they are putting on this year.

toybm

February put a lot of outside work behind schedule, but they’ve cleared the snow to prepare to move turns 1 and 3 walls since the weather turned. Only physical update at this time.
Hey Jeremy,
Sorry for the late reply as we don't watch the forum daily.
All the safety changes we agreed upon with Castrol will happen.
There is no way they could afford to lose their largest renter (we have the most days booked out of any organization at Castrol)....
Plus on top of that, they need us to help run their track days they are putting on this year.
Thanks Sean, thanks Neil I appreciate your responses. I'm happy to hear that something is happening and that concerns are being looked at. I like others, enjoy being a part of and supporting the EMRA family.

This year is going to be unreal! More track time, for cheaper, at all levels, from track days to racing. We have worked our butts off and built a club that is capable of that. I'm staying optimistic and pushing for the best, quitting gets you no where and doesn't inspire or contribute to any kind of change.

'You don't quit the game because you get old, you get old because you quit the game.'

The track is changing, little bit by little bit, Rome wasn't built over night.
While I do appreciate the time you took to pen a response, I really don't know what to do with it. I was trying to follow up on a concern I believe is legitimate but your response addresses things that have little to do with the thread topic. I'm also puzzled by the "quitting" theme of your reponse because agian it has nothing to do with actual topic and even worse I find it dismissive to a legitimate concern of your membership.
Hopefully, I misunderstood your post.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
Jon is just trying to get everyone excited about track season again and attempting to bring the narrative into a more positive light. You can imagine the pressure of inquiries the exec is receiving especially approaching spring time and the negativity towards it from certain parties. Lack of physical updates isn’t helping, we are all well aware. Jon being prez, he naturally gets the bulk of them.
But as has been said, Castrol has committed to the required changes and we are committed to making sure they happen. Now that the weather is finally cooperating we should start to see more physical progress sooner rather than later. Everyone wants to ride, but first local bikes on track is still 2 months away. Plenty of time.

Rd2ride

I don't know about you guys but I'm really excited for the 2019 year of racing. Doing every round, every track except may 17th, and heading to Washington and Oregon end of May for pre season track days to see how I like my new to me, not yet ridden by me, s1000rr.

Happy the track is becoming safer, and hopefully, fingers crossed, everyone will have a great, safe, and fast year!!!

toybm

Jon is just trying to get everyone excited about track season again and attempting to bring the narrative into a more positive light. You can imagine the pressure of inquiries the exec is receiving especially approaching spring time and the negativity towards it from certain parties. Lack of physical updates isn’t helping, we are all well aware. Jon being prez, he naturally gets the bulk of them.
But as has been said, Castrol has committed to the required changes and we are committed to making sure they happen. Now that the weather is finally cooperating we should start to see more physical progress sooner rather than later. Everyone wants to ride, but first local bikes on track is still 2 months away. Plenty of time.
Thanks for the reply. I do understand that many people find this a hot topic and rightfully so, the replies that you and Neil have provided would have been enough for me. They were on point.
Maybe as I age I'm getting grumpier, I don't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Also, if I haven't done so before, I'd like to thank everyone involved in runnung this club and making it what it is today.

marmstro

EMRA Executive Member
To add my two cents, I have to say that witnessing the passion, commitment, and hard work the executive gives really inspires me and hopefully all of you. These are really good people committed to getting everyone out there on a safe track. it`s a tough job, with a lot of difficulties. Trust me...

Last edited:

electrobiker86

Thanks Sean, thanks Neil I appreciate your responses. I'm happy to hear that something is happening and that concerns are being looked at. I like others, enjoy being a part of and supporting the EMRA family.

While I do appreciate the time you took to pen a response, I really don't know what to do with it. I was trying to follow up on a concern I believe is legitimate but your response addresses things that have little to do with the thread topic. I'm also puzzled by the "quitting" theme of your reponse because agian it has nothing to do with actual topic and even worse I find it dismissive to a legitimate concern of your membership.
I took the reference to "quitting" as the club not quitting and ensure the stated improvements are made, I don't think there was intent to reference your decision as to race or not.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Sorry racer gang, I know I had been responding to lots of these posts before but I was just in Mexico and dealing with my own life.

Jon's trying to get everyone excited about race season because we really do have tons of things to be excited about. Improved safety, cheaper racing, cheaper track days, better show for the fans and investment in club resources/ tools etc. Plus he's trying to keep things on a positive note while we wait for physical progress because all he's getting lately is flack from a couple loud members. Everything he says lately gets torn apart lol I actually laugh at how he's been treated like the bad guy over so much and so easily. There are a couple loud members who aren't offering any solutions, only causing problems and some of them don't even race anymore so wtf is the point besides causing us a headache?. All they're doing is internet bitching and hating, not coming to meetings to get a true understanding, not supporting us, just spreading incorrect information on internet/social media and its not helping our sport. Lol seriously some people forget he's a racer exactly like all of you but has OFFERED to put in SHIT TONS of work without hardly any compensation just for the passion and dedication to the sport, you really think he would do that if he didn't give a shit about the same things as us?

UPDATE: Like Sean said (and i mentioned before), Bad weather will cause delays and the coldest February in 40 years put things behind schedule. I talked to Collin today and they had 29 men and almost 20 pieces of machinery out there last weekend working away. They've done snow removal and FOL removal and now with the improved weather it looks like turn 3 wall should be getting moved back 10+ feet soon. That's the first step because its so weather critical that they have a short timeline to do it. Colin asked that we give them two more weeks to see some real progress because it has only been up to now that the weather has allowed for some real movement to take place, so they are highly motivated right now. I'll be out there when i get a chance in the next week(s) to take pictures and share with everyone.

If we don't give updates its because we don't have them. Look i talked to Colin at 2pm and here i am not even 6hrs later once i got home, sending an update. We're not advertising when there is no update because all it does is give a couple of the most vocal and annoying people a chance to bitch that there's nothing getting done. Thanks tips, we know, but we are on it. Lol believe me I can't wait until I don't have to spend an hour and a half on my Friday night typing up a response like this instead of hanging out with my friends.

While I do appreciate the time you took to pen a response, I really don't know what to do with it....
Anyways, Jeremy, thank you for your interest! I'm glad you're looking forward to the season, stay tuned and hopefully any concerns can be put to rest shortly. Castrol has been making changes to the facility consistently almost every round since we started there in 2014 but some are small changes and others are just plain hard to see unless you're on the exec really, but no worries. These changes are going to be more obvious and are also more complex, costly etc. Like Neil said, we are Castrol's biggest renter and with HX pulling out they decided to hold those weekend track days. If Castrol doesn't make the changes they will lose well over 100K in business and profits from us, and will have no one to man those track days for them. If the EMRA pulled out like HardNox did then nothing would change, and that would be the worst thing to me and that's why I'm sticking this out.
PS. The reference to quitting is not directed at you or a deflection. A couple past racers have quit but still take it upon themselves to bitch on social media (again not helping) even though they have zero clue what's actually going on. I question their sources and if you want to help and support the EMRA you should question their sources too. See you at the track.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
If anyone wants to chat with me, I'm open for phone calls. 780.257.9388
Next meeting is March 26th, any member is welcome to attend just give us a heads up beforehand so we can add it to the agenda, get the extra chairs etc.