WTB Transponder

Rd2ride

Looking for advice whether to buy a new one, rent one, or purchase a used one.

I've booked my work accordingly to be able to attend every round if that makes a difference on decision.

Thanks in advance

Jefferson

EMRA Executive Member
If you get lucky, you COULD find one of the old ones, which doesn't require a subscription. They are few and far between though. Otherwise, the units come with a minimum 1 year subscription when purchased new. There was a group buy last year for subscriptions and units, but i doubt that will be a yearly thing as most guys buy 2-5 year subscriptions at a time.

Edit- the transponders do have some value without a subscription, as renewing a unit is cheaper than buying a unit.

-Jeff

Last edited:

electrobiker86

Edit- the transponders do have some value without a subscription, as renewing a unit is cheaper than buying a unit.

It appears there is a small difference, apologies for misleading. Saving the 30$ a year, to me anyways, isn't worth dealing with used equipment.

DEFBOY35

Don't bother with the direct charge units. You pay extra at the beginning but what they don't tell you is that the subscription renewals are also more which is complete bs.

DEFBOY35

It appears there is a small difference, apologies for misleading. Saving the 30$ a year, to me anyways, isn't worth dealing with used equipment.
I am not 100% on this but I also remember something about there being a transfer fee if you want to have it in your name etc for all the speedhive functions

Ride_Bikes

I would sell mine as well, there is no subscription left on it though. If I remember correctly, there isn't a transfer fee for the unit, but it does require the seller do something on their side to transfer ownership so the name appears correctly. PM if you're interested in buying a used unit, would sell for $70