To keep or sell

Logan

Hey guys I have an 05 r1 that Im trying to sell but I'm not getting the price point I want. I was thinking I was going to convert it pending on how much more money Ill have to sink into it. Do we get a deal on fairings anywhere? What are the essentials I should do first? I already have Graves block off plates and Velocity stacks, bcm air filter, race baffles and a pc5 installed. I'm on the old 99 r6, should I even consider stepping up to a 1000? I'm conflicted and could use some honest input.

Thanks.

DEFBOY35

Sounds like you have a decent base to work off of. In my mind. Essentials would be the bodywork, clip ons, rear sets, shark guard, and lever guard. Otherwise I wouldn’t get too carried away until you are either destroying tires or past the limits of the stock suspension.
Throw a set of braided lines on the front and some decent pads down the road when you feel they are needed.
And when it’s time for a new chain do a 520 swap with your sprockets.
Neil May be able to help you with some flexiglass.

Logan

Sounds like you have a decent base to work off of. In my mind. Essentials would be the bodywork, clip ons, rear sets, shark guard, and lever guard. Otherwise I wouldn’t get too carried away until you are either destroying tires or past the limits of the stock suspension.
Throw a set of braided lines on the front and some decent pads down the road when you feel they are needed.
And when it’s time for a new chain do a 520 swap with your sprockets.
Neil May be able to help you with some flexiglass.

Flexiglass? Just looked it up, never heard of it before. What does Neil sell a set of those for? Also I don't think I need a shark fin as the chain goes through the swing arm?

Last edited:

DEFBOY35

Flexiglass? Just looked it up, never heard of it before. What does Neil sell a set of those for? Also I don't think I need a shark fin as the chain goes through the swing arm?
Not too sure what he sells them for. Forgot about the swing arm. So that saves a bit of cash right there.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Also you might be able to mount newer R1 bodywork on the older frame. Lots of guys do that. I have a 2011 BMW S1000RR and 2007 CBR 600RR both have the newest model of race bodywork because the frames are very similar and the bolt holes still line up with minimal fuckery.

If you sell your 99 R6 for super cheap it would be an easy sell, especially in winter or spring when new racers are looking for a cheap race bike to get into the sport. Then use that money to get bodywork, rear sets, clipons and the tech necessities (lever guards, case guards) to make your R1 a race bike. That might be the way to upgrade with minimal costs.

Good luck!

Logan

I'll have to look into that, I think there's some major changes with the r1 body work but I've been wrong before. I already have the 99 sold. Buddy of mine that comes to every round is buying it at the end of the season. He's going to do race school and join the emra next year. I just had a guy offer to trade me a 2012 r6 for the r1. I have to go look at it and weigh my options, might be a pos lol.

Also you might be able to mount newer R1 bodywork on the older frame. Lots of guys do that. I have a 2011 BMW S1000RR and 2007 CBR 600RR both have the newest model of race bodywork because the frames are very similar and the bolt holes still line up with minimal fuckery.

If you sell your 99 R6 for super cheap it would be an easy sell, especially in winter or spring when new racers are looking for a cheap race bike to get into the sport. Then use that money to get bodywork, rear sets, clipons and the tech necessities (lever guards, case guards) to make your R1 a race bike. That might be the way to upgrade with minimal costs.

Good luck!

electrobiker86

I'll have to look into that, I think there's some major changes with the r1 body work but I've been wrong before. I already have the 99 sold. Buddy of mine that comes to every round is buying it at the end of the season. He's going to do race school and join the emra next year. I just had a guy offer to trade me a 2012 r6 for the r1. I have to go look at it and weigh my options, might be a pos lol.
If the R6 is decent I would go that way, IMO Castrol is better suited for the 600s.

Racin Jason

Hi Logan.
The 05 R1 is a solid race platform. It is a fast bike.
Sounds like you have the right parts to get started. Step up to the big bikes. Do it.
Having said that, it will be a big change from your R6. (I have raced both of these bikes)
Approach learning the big bike smartly and you’ll be fine. The one thing I would put on the bike if you can, is Traction Control. If you are somewhat aggressive with the throttle, the R1 will spin up. It has enough revs that once it starts to spin it can get violent in a hurry.
Sorry if you’ve already sorted all this out, but I just seen this post. I’m a little disconnected with the club this year.
If you have any questions about this gen R1 or any questions about racing one, send me a message.