Helmets on Bicycles...

electrobiker86

We started bringing a mountain bike to get around the paddock earlier this year, no one has asked us to wear a helmet yet; however I was surprised to see that Castrol requests that helmets be worn by everyone. Has anyone been asked to wear a bicycle helmet in the paddock? Not that I have an issue, just do not recall seeing anyone wearing helmets on pedal bikes, or boards....

From Castrol site.

NEW POLICY FOR 2018

SCOOTERS, BIKES & SKATEBOARDS: In the interest of safety, Scooters, hover boards, roller blades, bikes, or any self powered transport is strictly prohibited in the competition pit area, staging area, and public access areas during on-track operating hours for all persons under the age of 16. On regularly scheduled Bracket Race days, Youth (Age 15 & Under) are permitted to operate in the Concourse area (i.e Playground Area) with an Adult chaperone present - not permitted under any circumstances on large public or specialty drag events.

Adult participants wishing to operate a self powered mode of transportation during on-track operating hours must apply for a Castrol Raceway compliance tag- see Castrol Raceway Management for approval. Youth participants and Guests may utilize self powered transportation at the conclusion of race day on-track activities. Please ride carefully and with all due consideration for the safety and rights of others. Accidental collisions may seriously injure yourself, pedestrians, bicyclists, other skaters, and/or cause damage to property.

· Users must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians at all times.

· Speed of the device must not exceed 5MPH and the user must remain in control of their device at all times

· One seat per rider- No riding on handle bars, bush bars, standing, etc.

· Helmets (Bicycle or equivalent) are Mandatory for All persons at All times.

· Use of the devices for acrobatics, racing, or other stunts is strictly prohibited.

· Riding on any architectural or landscape features other than designated asphalt areas is strictly prohibited.

· When not in use, all self powered transportation must be properly stored as to not infringe on pedestrian or vehicle pathways or roadways.

· No impaired persons may operate ANY vehicle (self powered or otherwise) at Any time- Violators will be subject to immediate expulsion.

Failure to comply will result in the confiscation of self powered vehicle for the remainder of day, second infraction is subject to disciplinary action, 3rd infraction will be considered grounds for facility expulsion. Vehicle Owners are responsible and subject to compliance for all Crew, Drivers, and Guests.

Jefferson

EMRA Executive Member
The rules for the pits during an EMRA event are as follows:

Helmets must be worn on all motorized devices
Helmets must be worn by any minor riding any motorized OR self propelled device.

IF and WHEN a Castrol employee asks you to wear a helmet, wear one. Until then, id prevent bringing up or causing an issue where there isn't one. I suspect that information you found is directed at the packed/busy drag pits.

-Jeff

electrobiker86

Prevent causing issues, wow, asking if I need to go buy a helmet to be compliant causes issues, Ok... I miss the good ol' days when bikers, or excuse me; motorcycle enthusiasts, weren't such sensitive snowflakes.

DEFBOY35

Prevent causing issues, wow, asking if I need to go buy a helmet to be compliant causes issues, Ok... I miss the good ol' days when bikers, or excuse me; motorcycle enthusiasts, weren't such sensitive snowflakes.
I think it’s less of a you are causing an issue and more of a, it hasn’t been an issue and sometimes things are better left alone type thing.

Jefferson

EMRA Executive Member

Being a sensitive snowflake, and making sure you don't go asking Castrol personnel about it so they start making all adults wear helmets on bicycles and long boards in the EMRA pits, are two different things. You asking around, and causing people to question the current rules, could cause exactly that. Its better left untouched, as Shane mentioned.

The quote you provided specifically mentions bracket racing weekends, which is in regards to drag racing events. Again, see my previous post about the EMRA rules for helmets in the EMRA pits. Next time you have a question about rules that no one else appears to have asked, feel free to message me directly, Much quicker and more concise.

-Jeff

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
Speaking of sensitive....... that’s not how Jeff meant it. He was merely saying it hasn’t been brought to us yet and that if we don’t bring it up at the track we should be able to continue as we were.

But Jeff CAN be pretty sensitive. Lol