First Trackday

Kurtz

Hi guys~

New to this site and I'll be a first timer when I hit the track @ Stratotech for the trackday on July 23rd.

I had a number of questions regarding the trackday that I attempted to ask a Stratotech park employee on the phone recently but they weren't much help and deferred to you guys. I'm hoping this is the right forum to ask my questions!

Anyway, I got a new tracksuit and have followed all of the instructions on how to prep my bike. I need to know if my "boots" are ok for the track though... more specifically will they be permitted? I have a pair of Sidi Streetburner's that I was planning to wear if I can. They do cover the ankle as required, but I know they aren't really "boots". I am aware that in a get off they won't protect as well as a full boot, but they are well constructed.

I could buy a pair of boots if it is absolutely necessary, but thats gonna be another $300 or so and I already shelled out $700 for a two-piece, all for a single track day (although I'm sure I'll be back!).

Also, when you guys do full-day, weekend track days what do you do about lunch? Does everyone bring something to eat, is there a concession, or can you just head into the fort for an hour to grab a bite and come back?

I am looking for someone to help me set my front suspension (rear is already done via a custom shock). I have read on the R6 forums that I frequent that at many tracks in the States they have suspension techs and whatnot on site during trackdays offering their services. Anything like that here? If not, any idea where I should go to get a pro to set my forks?

Last question... I'm guessing that it would probably be a good idea to bring my bike stands as you gotta wire up the kickstand. Anything else you can recommend I take with me?

Thanks for your help guys. I'm a little nervous, but I have been wanting to do this for years now and am excited I'll finally get my chance! Hope to meet some of you there.

YZF1000jon

The lunch break is the break you have between sessions, so bring your own lunch as a run into the Fort may take longer than the 45mins you may have. Bring your stands, tire gauge (good street tires work well at 30psi ft and rr cold), water (you should be drinking 500mls everytime you get off the track at least), sunscreen and bug spray...
I'd worry about suspension setup later in the day as the first sessions out there are led and will be very slow, to make sure you get the lay of the track and lines fugured out before any speed is involved. I'm not sure about those boots, someone else may be better qualified to speak to that.
If you're trailering your bike then I'd recommend taking most of the plastic off, just in case.

Snakes709

on the topic of boots, if someone can answer this for me. I been tied up on other projects so i was never able to get racing boots, so i got a odd question, will army issued, leather boots be ok? I seen some racing boots and they dont look as strong as my issued boots.

sand.man

I wouldn't go out on anything that's not a racing boot... I've crashed without boots and I've seen from many other cases what happens to your feet in a slide/impact.

That's just my 2 cents, I'm not sure what the rules are on this topic but somebody will answer soon enough I'm sure.

Being ex-army myself, I've worn out many pair of combats riding. They make a great street boot, but sadly won't offer up any impact resistance for your heel or ankle. Trust me, this impact resistance is very important. They will stand up to quite a bit of abrassion though, and they will pass tech inspection but you'll have to tape the laces so they can't get caught in any moving parts. But I would still highly recommend a propper race boot.

Norm

Snakes709

thanks norm. i plan on buying a set of boots, i just wanted to know if the option was there for me to wear my combat boots (which i dont use anyways for work)