Crash Update and Thanks to EMRA

diesel

Hey everybody, Steve Kozicki red 9x from Calgary riding the red R6

So been wanting to write a big thanks to everyone in the Emra for the great weekend until my crash :) They were still great but my weekend wasnt. Ambulance crew etc were great. Very nice and helpful with my leathers etc. NO Cutting. Track was pretty cool to learn and ride on coming from Calgary and being the first time out in Edm.

So the other thread about Tylers crash I think some people are mixing up with mine. Not to take anything away from Tyler. Hope he gets better soon. He took more personal injury then I did.

So on the first lap of the int open sportbike race I out braked 2 or 3 guys into turn 2 and tried taking the corner but someone in front of me took the corner and apexed like they should and I tried hard (brakes and steering) to avoid them but couldnt. That person didnt go down which was I was glad to hear. Pretty sure the bike was dark red. Would like to know who I tagged. So my front wheel just tagged their back wheel and my bike wobbled and then I hit the pavement. Landed hard on my right side. I didnt get knocked out and the bike hit the gravel trap and didnt flip :)

Bike needs some fiberglass work, a windshield, clip on and maybe a brake master but Im not sure yet as Rob Darlington took it home with him after the weekend (thanks Rob) I just slide to the edge of the track and gravel and lay there on my left side. Tried to get up but couldnt as I was winded and hurt. Lay there till the ambulance came and we sat me up and took off my leathers and eventually I felt the broken collar bone sticking against my skin.

So the aftermath.... Yup my right collar bone was broken in 3 pieces. One really good break and another smaller. The ambulance people at the track and from the city were great . The people in the hospital were great in Fort Saskatchewan. But got the xrays etc. In the time I was there in Fort Saskatchewan the bone settled and was flat . Could still feel the break but wasnt poking my skin. So this whole time I was telling the doctors I would really like to get it plated and screwed if I could since I am a mechanic by trade. It took awhile but the doc in Fort Sask was talking to an ortho guy in U of A hospital and they agreed to get my the surgery but I was on the waiting list for 2 - 3 days:( Had a place to stay in Edm so not too bad but my girlfriend would have to go back to Calgary and probably my dad would come up to pick me up later. So we left the hospital with the arm in a sling and went back to the track briefly to let people know what happend.

They after a hot dog (thanks EMRA) drove back to edm to figure what we were going to do. Didnt take that long on the highway for my collarbone to start hurting and sticking up again. Was almost sticking ou of my skin. Could feel the sharp edge of the bone. So decided to head straight to the U of A hospital and show them what was going on . After talking to another ortho guy again and him looking at the xrays they decided to do the surgery :) Got a plate, and six screws put into my collarbone on Sun around 1 oclock in the afternoon. Woke up around 4 and felt groggy but no real pain.

Now being wed afernoon got to say that everyone at work (stopped in toady) is amazed at how much movement I have and how well I am doing. Really the only thing that really hurts is the incision and my chest is sore from the impact. Got some road rash threw the leathers on my shoulder, elbow hip and leg. Havent looked at my leathers yet :( but do need a new helmut as it got scrapped along the pavement as I was slowing down.

Turned into a pretty long story. Thanks for reading or skimming it all haha Probabaly forgot some stuff but hey you get the jist hahah

But seriously thanks to everyone who helped me out in my time of need and to the organizers of the event. Enjoyed racing and will again in Edm next year hopefully.

P.S. Mike Cormier number 87 from edmonton give me a holler here and we can exchange emails want to know your perspective on the crash and enjoyed racing against you in edm and mission this year and later this year in calgary.

Dave86

Glad you could get in for surgery so quick, hope the healing process isn't too painful, and hope to see you back here next year

Planepower

Thank you for posting about your condition. Good know you are alright and well taken care of. Everything about the EMRA is top notch and am glad to know it was an overall positive experience. Hope to see you return.

I'm glad to hear it's not more serious than the collar bone. Heal up well and hopefully we'll see you back at Stratotech again. Cheers!
Norm