requesting a Miller Motorsports thread

JDS

Totally bored here at work. Can one of U guys fill the rest of us in on how the Miller weekend went?

Thanx

Dave86

Miller was epic :cool:

Drive was about 18 hours straight from south Edmonton to Tooele, we only stopped for fuel and ate in the truck.

We stayed in at a hotel in Tooele, which is about a 10 minute drive from the track, if you stay in Salt Lake City I think it's about 45 minutes or so.

Facilities are pretty much mind boggling. Rent a pit garage, they're $50 a day and can easily fit 4 riders with all their gear. Garages have power so you don't need to bring a generator or air. Don't need to bring race gas either as they actually have race fuel you can buy right from the pump behind the pit garages.

Check out this thread for requirements in regards to tech etc, need to have a shark fin guard on the bike, everything else is pretty much the same, also need to have an AMA membership and check out Matt's link for travel insurance from ATB - very good deal.

Tire wear wasn't bad at all on the Pirelli red stripes, I ran the same set of tires I ran at Strato for round 6 for 3 straight days in Miller and they're still good for another couple days. That said, on a liter bike you'll have to watch your set up because they can tear up very quickly there.

Everything ran really smoothly, they have a very efficient system going for registration and tech, we were able to get our race registration finished (we submitted online before leaving) after the track day Friday, and get our bikes tech'd that evening. Riders meeting was early - 7:30am, it was short and to the point and everything got going quickly. Live timing TV screens in the garages were cool to see where you were at through practice day and the races. The only part that seemed to be a bit chaotic was pre-grid.

I ran 3 races, Formula 5 (bikes 5 years and older) where I was pretty much out on my own, got a decent start but the guys ahead of me where about 5 sec. a lap faster so I couldn't hang on, and the guys behind were about 3 seconds behind me. GTU (600cc and under) was fun, we were gridded fifth or sixth row because we had no points in the series, but got good starts and I was up to 8th going into the first couple corners. Jon Bullee ran a brilliant race and ended up taking 8th, I was battling with an R6 on the last lap and just missed out on 11th to end up in 12th.
GTO (over 600) race was fun as well - Jon, Ali Ben and I were all battling mid pack that race.

Jesse Sherstan and Scott Decker represented the province well by taking a combined 7 championships I believe:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?lnk=rss&article=46274
In the same article you'll see Geoff Gerbrandt and Matt Elder had some top 6 finishes too

Pete Degraff had ridiculous pace, and actually worked his way up to challenge Jesse in a couple races.

Knapik took a sixth in open superstock and had some good battles with local fast guys pitted next to us, there should be some sweet video of that coming up.

Track itself was pretty spectactular, apparently there's 70 feet of elevation change around the track but you don't really feel it, just the small downhill in the attitudes. Absolutely fantastic layout though, first session felt like I was all over the place but in the next couple everything starting falling into place very quickly and it actually flows really nicely when you figure out how to link it all together. The biggest thing that left an impression on me is just the outright speed of the track - for example, come out of turn 3 and swing out wide at the top of third gear, click up to 4th and lean it in for 4th and come through WOT.. same sort of thing through "fast, faster and gotcha", up from third to fifth, down to fourth for "gotcha" and dragging knee at well over 200km/h, quite an experience.

Glass smooth surface, and wide track so you can really pick any passing line you want, which is one of the things that made racing there so fun.

Here's a track map for anybody interested:
http://www.eurasia.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/MMPFullCourse.jpg

If anybody wants to see my photos, you can check out the gallery here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150853951180187.748500.652440186&l=95905116d9&type=1

Also check out the Round 7 gallery here, some awesome shots:

http://latebraker.com/galleries.shtml

To summarize, it was a great club that was very helpful and welcoming to us out of towners, awesome track and facility, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back there. I want to go for the last round again next year (they run different configurations each round (perimiter, east or west track, then full track for the last round of the year)

We took lots of GoPro video and we'll get it posted up when we've had time to edit it.

JDS

:D:D Nice. I like the Pic of 186 coming out of the S's
Thanx Dave

Sounds like Miller is a premium track. Must be one of the better, if not best facilities?
Did u get lots of track time?

Definetely looking for the video(s)

Dave86

Yup, loads of track time, rode until my quads were seizing up Friday haha. Saturday sessions got extended to 30 minutes I think, so plenty of time to get comfortable with the track layout.

I can't speak for it being the best facility because it's the only place I've raced in the US, will have to let the guys who've been doing California trips give a comparison, but I really can't think of a single complaint about Miller. If you get a chance to go, find a way to make it happen.

madmax

It was like paradise spread out with a butter knife I personally still like Thunderhill better just because of the track configuration but this place is still a 10 out of 10. The fuel consumption there was crazy since your pretty much balls out most of the entire 4.6 mile lap LOL. All the pics from the weekend were free i thought that was awesome check them out on http://www.latebraker.com/

I think the idea of having a masseuse there all day to get rubbed down in between sessions is spectacular. and no I'm not talking about Fireman.

Fireman

I think the boys have said it all. Miller is big, fast and smooth. The experience was awesome and I will do my best to make this happen again next year.

Of all of the tracks I have had the fortune of riding this is definitely top 5. The facilities are probably the best in the business.

Video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlZ9AMNwUIY

JDS

That puts a smile on my face. Thanx guys.
Count me in for next yr. Was very close to heading down myself this yr.

Dave86

I was running 15 / 46 which is -1 / +3 from stock. It was right where I wanted it everywhere except the front straight where I was on the limiter in 6th before the brake markers. Same gearing I've been running for Strato and Race City

JDS

Do you have room in your trailer for a Yamaha? :)

Should have Jamie. Your in.

I think the boys have said it all. Miller is big, fast and smooth. The experience was awesome and I will do my best to make this happen again next year.

Of all of the tracks I have had the fortune of riding this is definitely top 5. The facilities are probably the best in the business.

Video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlZ9AMNwUIY

Which (in your eyes) are the top 5?

Fireman

Should have Jamie. Your in.

Which (in your eyes) are the top 5?

Thunderhill
Infineon
Lacuna seca
Miller
Buttonwillow

In that order. The first 3 have big elevation changes. I seem to enjoy those alot.

JDS

Which of these are best suited for motorcycles? Run off room.

I like that shot in the video, of the bike off roading at 200 kph

oldskool

Awesome! That track looks crazy fun and.....FAST!

Buttonwillow seemed to have really good run off (packed dirt) which made it REALLY easy to learn and push hard (even though I didn't get a chance to test it). I didn't notice the same run off at the other 3 tracks I played on (I think laguna was more fine gravel or sand).

Never been to infinion and miller but my 1 2 3 would be:
Laguna
Buttonwillow
then Thunderhill

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I think the idea of having a masseuse there all day to get rubbed down in between sessions is spectacular. and no I'm not talking about Fireman.

Too bad she closed up shop early.

Miller was pure awesome, I must go back there, I see their seasons typically start in mid April....