upcoming 2012 changes

JD96

5 year old machines in sportsman just isn't right. I like the class and appreciate the fact that it is generally a safe, curtious, less competitive, gentlemanly class without the 'chomp at the bit', agressive nature of the more competitive race classes. No more need to tweak the rules in sportsman than there is to manipulate and mess with the other 2-3 classes that are running at the same time. There is always 10-15 bikes grided for the combined classes. I could understand a need to change it to 7-8 year old machines......maybe........ if it were to be run as it's own event, but it's not. I think you would be eliminating the class. How many of you that will make a vote on this issue will have it effect your racing (personaly) in anyway? I planned on 'racing' a 99 YZF R7 next year. Do you have a machine you'd like to come play with?
I'd bring my 04 zx10r if it was limited to 8 years and I'd dominate it by far. Its twitchy and a handful to ride but I'm pretty sure I can break into the 1:00 mark next year. I think I was running sixth in the fast25 this year. Leave it at 10 IMO. 2004/2005 brings a lot of fast bikes into the picture

Calgary was bumping based on performance, most of us got promoted after 2 or 3 novice races... Even faster than what the emra does. I know I've spoken with emra novices who complained it takes too long to move to AM with the current format.

I don't think back markers in am were an issue at all. If anything it can create a dramatic finish to the race. Id be lying if I said it hasn't helped me out in the past lol. Someone else said they hate to see that, IMO that's racing! As a racer, make it stick and deal with it!

I don't like combined grids. There's no glory for the am winner. No victory lap, what about podiums? Get six racers to wait for a speech at the end of sbk?

Last edited:

Fireman

I'd bring my 04 zx10r if it was limited to 8 years and I'd dominate it by far. Its twitchy and a handful to ride but I'm pretty sure I can break into the 1:00 mark next year. I think I was running sixth in the fast25 this year. Leave it at 10 IMO. 2004/2005 brings a lot of fast bikes into the picture

Calgary was bumping based on performance, most of us got promoted after 2 or 3 novice races... Even faster than what the emra does. I know I've spoken with emra novices who complained it takes too long to move to AM with the current format.

I don't think back markers in am were an issue at all. If anything it can create a dramatic finish to the race. Id be lying if I said it hasn't helped me out in the past lol. Someone else said they hate to see that, IMO that's racing! As a racer, make it stick and deal with it!

I don't like combined grids. There's no glory for the am winner. No victory lap, what about podiums? Get six racers to wait for a speech at the end of sbk?

We have some video this year of a expert level rider going through a lapped rider. http://emra.ca/Video/EMRA061911.wmv with grids of over 40 in a combined Int. Exp. class I can guarantee a safety issue. It would work well in a larger venue, but Stratotech is sadly just too small. You are also right we cannot have 6 riders doing podium speeches. None of the fans will be listening by the end anyways.

And Novices can be moved up within 2 race rounds of their very first race ever into intermediate. The Executive can choose to move up a rider if they are substantially faster than the entire grid as well. I can't see how we could make it any faster to move through the ranks.

Racin Jason

We have some video this year of a expert level rider going through a lapped rider. http://emra.ca/Video/EMRA061911.wmv with grids of over 40 in a combined Int. Exp. class I can guarantee a safety issue. It would work well in a larger venue, but Stratotech is sadly just too small. You are also right we cannot have 6 riders doing podium speeches. None of the fans will be listening by the end anyways.

And Novices can be moved up within 2 race rounds of their very first race ever into intermediate. The Executive can choose to move up a rider if they are substantially faster than the entire grid as well. I can't see how we could make it any faster to move through the ranks.

All very good discussions. I think our current promotion system works well. There was a time when you didn't have the luxury of the Novice class to go out and get your feet wet, before you had to sit on the grid with guys with championships on their mind. The present system weeds the people out who don't feel the need to take it to the next level and thats fine. I believe that is what the class is intended to do.
Thanks Yak for correcting Fast 316. I recall the rule change as it delayed my arrival into Senior Open by a year. I don't really feel the need to change the age rule. The fast guys in this class will still be there and it may take away from the fact that there is always somebody of the same skill to race with which IMO is what makes it such a popular race.
The idea of combining the amatuer and expert grids at Strato is NOT SAFE. It does work on bigger tracks but even then if the grids get big enough there are issues. Its not the good amateur riders I would worry about, it would be the new guys and sketchy riders. Mixing them in with some of the speeds of the expert class has danger written all over it. As well I think the arguement of pushing guys past their skill level too early is valid. As Ev says, its something about the oxygen levels inside a racing helmet. LOL
I think evolution of the club is great, and our leaders have done super in this regard, but I also think with the closing of Calgary we are not sure how the club will change (if at all) next year as far as grid sizes and type of machinery out there. So rather than make some big rule changes and then have to revisit them next year, why don't we see how the transition goes? Just something to think about.

JDS

True, what Komo said. "So rather than make some big rule changes and then have to revisit them next year, why don't we see how the transition goes? Just something to think about."

Combining the Inter's & Exp would not likely work at Strato. Hopefully grid sizes expand a little next Yr.

Last Yrs entries in Exp SBK & EXP Open SportBk were identical. Same riders, same bikes, different trophy.
How do the Experts feel about changing Open SportBk to SBK 2 ? 6 races just doesnt seem like enough for what is considered our main event.

I just love to relive that moment, oh the good ol' times, thanks!:rolleyes:

I don't mind riding with slower riders(sometimes I am one). The problem being safety, you can't know what the person your trying to pass is going to do. Can you trust they will hold their line and be "safe and predictable"?

Spooner

Just went through the novel. Here are my inputs and suggestions. Don’t get all poopooed if I pooed on you.

How about podium speeches for the first place finishers in the supermoto/lightweight/middleweight twins/sportsman races?
You want to talk? Play in the big boy races… I’d personally like to see everyone get to talk but in the combined races, though it’s hard as a spectator to keep track of who is in what and what place there in. A speech would be a tad confusing for the spectators and potentially boring…

Most people running the Senior Open would probably agree it is there favorite class to run
For sure, but what about us young guys who still want to race with the pros? Let SB1 (fast25) be that race.

I brought this thread forth for ideas to culminate prior to the AGM. What else would we as members like to see happen?
1. Change status of intermediate / expert to Amateur / Pro.
2. Hold 2 heats of Superbike races.
3. Combine Amatuer / Pro grids for Superbike.
4. Change status of Sportsman to bikes 5 yrs or order.
5. Eliminate Vintage class.
6. In an attempt to have larger grids, eliminate classes with 5 or less racers. (or combine together to have a fuller track).
7. Requirement for 2010 Snell or similar helmet approval. Any other safety issues we could implement?
8. _________...
1.Sure
2.absolutely
3.Only superbike heat 1 (in the am)
4.no
5.why, what if Stu (I think that’s his name from CMRA wants to come up?) so, no
6. They’re already bended into a larger race, which are 15+ riders… Why axe a whole field?
7.Already done, in the 2010 rules.

I bring up red 114 earlier this season, he got into a situation where he was riding with guys who were faster and were riding above his skill level, he pushed to hard to keep up and had a nasty crash that put him in the hospital. Two other novices that moved up as soon as they could also were in crashes that damaged their bikes quite badly.
That’s part of learning and racing. Sometimes you have to take your lumps, before you get to speed.

I would just like too see a better promotion system set up( similar from going from intermediate to expert or amateur to pro). I feel this would develop riders in a better way to move into far more competitive classes and as a club promote a new design of racer development.
I do agree with this. The four-race rule would be left intact, but I would like to see an actual rule saying you can’t cherry pick in-group. Ie, if your avg. time is a 107.999 or better, you’re forced to move up.

Still, there were a couple riders I noticed in some of the races that were genuine safety concerns it seemed. But I think in those cases it was pretty plain and obvious and I don't think changing the whole structure of advancement would be needed to deal with them.
The problem now is that there isn’t a asshole, (someone who will say it as it is) on the board that will call it as it should be. I’m not necessarily saying that there should be but there could be room to add a “Referee” to pass judgment on current events. I’d like to get more info on the CMRA’s referee’s job description was/is.

I like Scotts idea on SBK. 2
Thanks, its all because I’m made of awesome. ☺

how do we rearrange the race day schedule to fit an extra superbike race in a way that makes sense?
Kill the payout in the fast 25 and call it a "limited superbike 1". Mixed grid of 15 experts and 10 intermediates. There is only maybe 10 anyways in int sbk now anyways and about the same in expert.

The boys and I from redline will be there to play every weekend! :D
SWEET!

• Stock open class - Every bike regardless size and rider skill (Int/Exp) is on a stock bike: ie stock motor(mapping allowed), no bazzazz TC, no quick shift or any other technical gagdets that aid the rider. :rolleyes:
That is ridiculous. I bet over half the grid would have to remove high dollar parts to fit into that. That and its going backwards to the system that is already in place.

Simply winning a class with no 'fast' competition shouldn't warrant a promotion in my books.
Here here! Though, I can only think of one rider that shouldn’t be racing with black numbers.

Last Yrs entries in Exp SBK & EXP Open SportBk were identical. Same riders, same bikes, different trophy.
How do the Experts feel about changing Open SportBk to SBK 2 ? 6 races just doesnt seem like enough for what is considered our main event.

That could work, but a small combined class is what I'm hoping for. It is the one knock against the EMRA. I int rider can't race against a exp unless there in the old fart class. Hence my push to change the fast 25 to superbike 1. That and I'd like to ride in the am next year.

Oh and I'd also like the C group to be explained as a 102 rider and not a 103.000 or faster rider. It pisses me off to no end that a mid-103 rider can manage to sneak into riding in C, when they haven't earned that position. That and if there is a boned head, that someone actually deals with it then and there. (Again, personally I believe that should be the ref and that position needs to be created.)

~S

YZF1000jon

Thanks, its all because I’m made of awesome. ☺

Nah, that's cuz you're an asshole :eek: HEY! I think we have a job for you!! :D, I am just kidding, honestly.

There is no reason to remove Vintage from the books other than to save ink right now, if we leave it there, the option for someone to come and race in it is always open.

It may not have been expressed clearly, but anyone that puts their money down for Fast 25 can race in it, based on qualifying times. If 10 fast experts entered, and no one else, I could run it, scary I know. So it is a superbike race just with a payout.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I've been trying to think of ways to get more volunteers out for race weekends. How about we make 8 hours of volunteer work part of going from novice to intermediate license? The novice rider could do the volunteer work themselves, or sponsor someone else to do it for them. I can think of 6 spots every weekend that could be filled in easily by a rider just showing up.

Spooner

I've been trying to think of ways to get more volunteers out for race weekends. How about we make 8 hours of volunteer work part of going from novice to intermediate license? The novice rider could do the volunteer work themselves, or sponsor someone else to do it for them. I can think of 6 spots every weekend that could be filled in easily by a rider just showing up.

Could work, or could backfire huge. I wonder if it was more of an off year?

~S

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member

Brilliant Jon.
In WMRRA race club (seattle) to graduate from Novice you must do two half day corner working sessions.

Planepower

Well done Scott!
Now that's the type of input we as a club need (attitude!).
The idea of novice and volunteering is good.
This thread is a good place to brainstorm ideas and debate the positive and negatives prior to a formal meeting.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's already being done or not but a good thing to put into place might be that when people register you take their email address down and send out E-newsletters.

Just have a graphic made so all that has to be done is to throw in some text and output. You could just use some of the blurbs that go into the booklets for race days.

And you could put a big reminder in there for people to really pro-actively try to scout out volunteers from their friends and family. A great way to get more volunteers is to have the people racing probing their circles for interest. They are going to be the ones capable of delivering the best sales pitch directly to people who already have a reason to attend the race weekends as it is.

YZF1000jon

That's a great idea, but keep in mind there are only a handful of people that put all the details together for every round, it's a lot of work for each person involved. Adding another job can be pretty tough without more people getting involved. Just food for thought.

Lehbs

As someone who will hopefully be in this position early in the year, here is my opinion. I don't mind volunteering to help out where needed, but as I am going to be travelling to race not sure how motivated it gets me to think that one of the days spent up there is going to be on a corner. If there was a way to work in the time while also being able to get in the practice and novice races then sign me up. Not to sound like a dick, but I don't want to pay for a night in a hotel just to spend the next day watching.

As someone who will hopefully be in this position early in the year, here is my opinion. I don't mind volunteering to help out where needed, but as I am going to be travelling to race not sure how motivated it gets me to think that one of the days spent up there is going to be on a corner. If there was a way to work in the time while also being able to get in the practice and novice races then sign me up. Not to sound like a dick, but I don't want to pay for a night in a hotel just to spend the next day watching.

I agree even though I am expert now. It is kind of like forcing someone to volunteer and pretty much saying "If you don't work the corners, then you can't race in the intermediate levels". It is not really "volunteering" anymore then.

YZF1000jon

The problem is if no one works the corners nobody races. We were very close to that for almost 1/2 of our races this year. We need help and suggestions.

Lehbs

The problem is if no one works the corners nobody races. We were very close to that for almost 1/2 of our races this year. We need help and suggestions.

But then by that rationale, why subject only the novices to it? All members enter into a draw and if your name is drawn then you have to work. That would really suck if you were in a points race and suddenly you had to sit on a corner and miss a race, so I don't think that is the solution either. Perhaps there could be an incentive for those who bring a volunteer with them. Bring a volunteer and get a discount on your fee for practice? Makes for a bit of headache keeping track of those who have brought volunteers on the Sunday for a credit on their account for the next round, but then you aren't having anyone miss out on track time. And I want all the time I can get.