2013 Season Rule Changes

Fireman

I would like to see a 4th practice session on practice days. 15 minute sessions. This would help with keeping more open track in each group for safety, as well as helping with less congestion during qualifying.

hubley

I would like to see a 4th practice session on practice days. 15 minute sessions. This would help with keeping more open track in each group for safety, as well as helping with less congestion during qualifying.

What lap time cut-off would you suggest? 1:00 and under?

sand.man

What if it was 4 rotations:

A: All novice, intermediates under 600cc

B: Intermediates 600cc and up slower than 1:05.00, all experts under 600cc, (possibly all experts slower than 1:03.00 600cc and up?)

C: Intermediates running 1:05.00 or better

D: Experts 600cc and up, 1:02.9 and faster consistently

That's the best format I could come up with to group similar pace, while trying to maintain equal size groups.

Fireman

What if it was 4 rotations:

A: All novice, intermediates under 600cc

B: Intermediates 600cc and up slower than 1:05.00, all experts under 600cc, (possibly all experts slower than 1:03.00 600cc and up?)

C: Intermediates running 1:05.00 or better

D: Experts 600cc and up, 1:02.9 and faster consistently

That's the best format I could come up with to group similar pace, while trying to maintain equal size groups.

I would suggest a

1:01.0 or faster
1:01.0 - 1:06 group
1:06 and slower
Novice and intermediate under 600

But that can be massaged by the exec once numbers can be established. It can also be massaged after round 1 as well.

sand.man

Last year or maybe the year prior there was a rule change regarding quickshifters in a particular class. Which class was that?

madmax

I would suggest a

1:01.0 or faster
1:01.0 - 1:06 group
1:06 and slower
Novice and intermediate under 600

But that can be massaged by the exec once numbers can be established. It can also be massaged after round 1 as well.

What about the guys running 56's all u slow 59 guys will get in my way!

sand.man

Last year or maybe the year prior there was a rule change regarding quickshifters in a particular class. Which class was that?

Touching back on this, I'd like to see them allowed in lightweight. They are now available fairly cheap for just about any bike you can think of and it's a big help on a low-powered bike like a Supermoto when you're up against faster bikes like SV's.

Another topic I'd like to re-propose is one Heiko brought up in 2010 for the 2011 season which was to separate intermediates from experts in Formula Thunder. I hope Komo takes this as a compliment, but an intermediate on a dirt bike cannot compete with a seasoned expert on a 1000cc superbike.

One could argue that nobody on a dirt bike could compete with anybody on a 1000cc superbike, and while that's partially true, there are still very few intermediates on superbikes capable of competing with :58 lap times and much less on superbikes meeting the Formula Thunder class requirements.

I know it's very hard to class everyone where they can be competitive within their respective class - but I'd love to hear some more discussion on this.

MyTTwin

Another topic I'd like to re-propose is one Heiko brought up in 2010 for the 2011 season which was to separate intermediates from experts in Formula Thunder. I hope Komo takes this as a compliment, but an intermediate on a dirt bike cannot compete with a seasoned expert on a 1000cc superbike.

I know it's very hard to class everyone where they can be competitive within their respective class - but I'd love to hear some more discussion on this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the FT grid seemed to average out to 9-10 riders, which 2-3 of these were intermediate...??... not sure what there is to discuss here.

sand.man

Correct me if I'm wrong but the FT grid seemed to average out to 9-10 riders, which 2-3 of these were intermediate...??... not sure what there is to discuss here.

Exactly... Not a lot of intermediates willing to do this race maybe?

Score them separately and maybe spark an interest for a bigger grid.

YZF1000jon

Sportbike. So, Int/Exp Open Sportbike and Int/Exp Lightweight Sportbike.

But given that The Rulebook does not specifically ban quickshiters in any class (pages 11-13), and some classes like Superbike, Formula GP, and Middleweight Twins specifically say "Unlimited Modifications" or "Open to all modifications", the only class I can see a successful protest based on quickshifters being made would be Vintage.

sand.man

Hmm, the "race classes" section under "club information" on this website needs a good going-over. Earlier in the year it stated lightweight was restricted to twins up to 550cc (I see it's corrected now) and here is the classification of sport bike:

Sportbike:

• Sportbike racing class machines must be standard models as catalogued by the original equipment manufacturers and sold to the general public in Canada or U.S.A. for street use and available from all of their authorized dealers.

• This class is also opened to the Motard Style motorbikes within their respective classes.

• Tires - DOT or slicks.

• Front Suspension must use the original front forks both inner and outer tubes. Fork internals may be modified.

• Rear Suspension must retain the original swing arm and the swing arm must be left unchanged. The rear shock linkage may be substituted. The rear shock may be modified or replaced.

• The original frame must be retained. Unnecessary brackets may be removed.

• Engine modifications are unlimited except for the following

• Stock cases, barrels, cylinder heads and throttle bodies must be used but may be altered.

• Stock carb bodies or fuel injection systems must be used but carb internals; velocity stacks and injection management systems may be altered or replaced.

• After market exhaust systems may be used, but must meet noise restrictions.

Electronic quick shifters are not allowed. Manual secondary hand operated kill/quick shifters not allowed.

• Clutch actuation may be modified to a racing kit type.

• Dry clutches are only permitted if used on the stock motorcycle.

• Stock air box is not required but an air box is required. An air filter is not required. Larger air boxes may be used but the stock tank and tank placement/mounts must be used. Ram air systems, including ducts and scoops, must be identical in spec to the OE fitment.

• Engine capacity must fall within class size as follows. There are no horsepower limits for these classes.

Thus my concern about quickshifters, I don't keep a paper copy of the rule book, I refer to this website for info... Maybe we can update it? :)

YZF1000jon

The rulebook is available for download and viewing under Club Information-Downloadable Forms and Info-2012 Rulebook, and has the rules for Sportbike description on page 11 of 24. (so yes, one should be updated, but that happens easily when there is duplicate info) And has the Quickshifter rule removed.

macbayne

Hmm, the "race classes" section under "club information" on this website needs a good going-over. Earlier in the year it stated lightweight was restricted to twins up to 550cc (I see it's corrected now) and here is the classification of sport bike:

Thus my concern about quickshifters, I don't keep a paper copy of the rule book, I refer to this website for info... Maybe we can update it? :)

quick question about the "Standard Model" bullet from the rules book. does that mean that the 675R is not a standard model? this affects my winter purchase plans.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I'm all for the lapped rider flag in theory. But in reality it is much easier said then done at our track. It could only really be shown in the tower (there is enough trouble keeping yellow flags standing or waving at the right time, I'd hate to see a blue flag get added to the corners stations), and it would mostly be used on lap 8 or 9 of a race. At which time the poor guy in the tower is already giving the last lap flag, watching the leaders waiting to give the checkered flag, and keeping an eye on turn 1 for incidents. I think it is best left to the passing rider to ensure a clean pass.

Fireman

It would be a corner worker flag, not a tower flag Jon. Also it is there as a courtesy flag or safety flag instead of a procedural indicator.

MyTTwin

Would like to suggest the possible change of "red flag" procedure, instead of stopping off the race line at the next corner worker station just proceeding to the hot pit at a cautions pace...

Thoughts?

Fireman

Would like to suggest the possible change of "red flag" procedure, instead of stopping off the race line at the next corner worker station just proceeding to the hot pit at a cautions pace...

Thoughts?

If a rider goes down in 8 (unconscious on the track), and a red flag is shown in the tower. Riders would then need to ride past his corpse...er body...er, you know, in order to get back to pits. During this time no ambulance can be put onto the track.

MyTTwin

1) Nobody has suggested this yet but I've heard it discussed plenty of times in the pits during race weekends.... Moving the Superbike races to earlier in the afternoon...?
One argument made is the Superbike races are "THE" races of the weekend and it should be the last two races of the day.. Other side arguing say perhaps more people would be in these two races if they were earlier in the day??

Let the discussion begin on that one :)

2) I am a fan of having a second 600 race to the existing 600SS race.... perhaps an Open 600 Sportbike race of 10 or 15 laps...?

I do have my concerns about a couple other races being depleted in numbers because if most 600 riders were to run this race they might choose not choose to run the Superbike and/or Open Superbike (Fast 25) and/or Open Sportbike.

3) Again I've heard this quite a few times from others but hasn't been brought up here sooooooooooo Qualifying seems to be enjoyed by the majority on practice day for the Open Superbike (Fast 25) so how about qualifying every weekend for Superbike, 600 SS and Open SB as well? Lots of arguments for or against this but I'll just comment that it makes for a safer, fair grid every weekend for everyone.