250 Gold Cup

WMRC #62

The class description is a bit vague. Is this based on the Gold Cup series in BC that only allows latest generation Ninja 250R's and CBR250's or is a 250 production class, like WMRC (we have both classes, 250 Prod and Gold Cup). I have a ZZR250 that I race in 250 production, but it's not allowed in Gold Cup in BC.

ian

Dean, The EMRA 250 Gold Cup is based on the WMRC Gold cup but we relaxed the rules a bit to hopefully make for a larger grid, we want to allow all production bikes 250cc and smaller but not motards or GP bikes, hopefully it will make for an entertaining and cheap class to race. Your ZZR250 would be legal for our 250 Gold Cup class.

Ian

YZF1000jon

Not having read the rules, would the Aprilia 2 stroke qualify? It is a production 250 that is kind of a GP bike as it's not road legal here?

sand.man

Jon I thought the Aprilia 250 was legal on the streets here... I know of one person who had one on the street right here in Edmonton.

mojobie

Yay, thread hijacks...

I have a question as well. I also have an old ZZR250, but it has no fairing at all (had an accident). Would it be alright to race without fairing (provided the vents and drains are routed to a bottle)?

Dean

The WMRC 250 Production class doesn't require fairings at all, provided catch cans are in good working order.

We also limit our 250 production to 4-stroke bikes, as the two stroke 250s create too much power to be considered competitive to the 4-stroke counterparts. Consider that the street version is around 75HP, vs the 25HP that a typical 4-stroke 250 has.

Fireman

Yay, thread hijacks...

I have a question as well. I also have an old ZZR250, but it has no fairing at all (had an accident). Would it be alright to race without fairing (provided the vents and drains are routed to a bottle)?

You can race naked bikes as long as all of the points in the rulebook are met. This includes numbers, case covers, etc. if the sub frame has any dangerously sharp or pointed edges not deemed safe by tech, it will need modification. Also all wiring must be located in a way so as to not get tangled with a sliding or falling rider.

So in a nutshell. Yes

tcasey87

there does seem to be quite a bit of difference between the WMRC 250 Gold Cup class and the EMRA 250 Gold Cup class.

Chapter 8A of The WMRC 250 gold class rules provides:

8.11a Unless specifically allowed in Chapter 8, no other part modifications, replacements, additions, or deletions are allowed. IF THE RULEBOOK DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY ALLOW THE MODIFICATION, THEN IT IS NOT PERMITTED.

So Chapter 8A refers to Chapter 8 for more information.
Chapter 8 of the WMRC rules (supersport rules) would allow a number of modifications, ie. aftermarket electronic fuel modules, clip-ons, changes to rear shocks, changes to fork internals, rear sets, removal of passenger pegs, etc. Does not clearly state that an aftermarket exhaust is allowed.

Rule 5.15 of The EMRA 250 gold class provides:

Unless specifically allowed in Chapter 5.15, no other part modifications, replacements, additions, or deletions are allowed. IF THE RULEBOOK DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY ALLOW THE MODIFICATION, THEN IT IS NOT PERMITTED.

Since Rule 5.15 of EMRA refers back to itself, ie. 5.15, there is not reference any other modification provisions. The words "unless specifically allowed in Chapter 5.15" could probably be deleted, since they add nothing.

Recently in the "Doin Time" section of the Motorcyclist magazine, there was an article about modifying the Honda CBR 250r to race against the Ninja 250. (google "doin time cbr250r") to make the Honda competitive with the Kawasaki.

The modifications were basic: aftermarket exhaust, power commander, changes to suspension internals. But those mods do not appear to be allowed under the EMRA 250 Gold Cup rules.

I heard that WMRC relaxed their initial rules to their present state since it was too difficult to enforce "no changes".

How does EMRA enforce the rules?

Last edited:

Fireman

there does seem to be quite a bit of difference between the WMRC 250 Gold Cup class and the EMRA 250 Gold Cup class.

Chapter 8A of The WMRC 250 gold class rules provides:

8.11a Unless specifically allowed in Chapter 8, no other part modifications, replacements, additions, or deletions are allowed. IF THE RULEBOOK DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY ALLOW THE MODIFICATION, THEN IT IS NOT PERMITTED.

So Chapter 8A refers to Chapter 8 for more information.
Chapter 8 of the WMRC rules (supersport rules) would allow a number of modifications, ie. aftermarket electronic fuel modules, clip-ons, changes to rear shocks, changes to fork internals, rear sets, removal of passenger pegs, etc. Does not clearly state that an aftermarket exhaust is allowed.

Rule 5.15 of The EMRA 250 gold class provides:

Unless specifically allowed in Chapter 5.15, no other part modifications, replacements, additions, or deletions are allowed. IF THE RULEBOOK DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY ALLOW THE MODIFICATION, THEN IT IS NOT PERMITTED.

Since Rule 5.15 of EMRA refers back to itself, ie. 5.15, there is not reference any other modification provisions. The words "unless specifically allowed in Chapter 5.15" could probably be deleted, since they add nothing.

Recently in the "Doin Time" section of the Motorcyclist magazine, there was an article about modifying the Honda CBR 250r to race against the Ninja 250. (google "doin time cbr250r") to make the Honda competitive with the Kawasaki.

The modifications were basic: aftermarket exhaust, power commander, changes to suspension internals. But those mods do not appear to be allowed under the EMRA 250 Gold Cup rules.

I heard that WMRC relaxed their initial rules to their present state since it was too difficult to enforce "no changes".

How does EMRA enforce the rules?

This is club racing. We hope that a rider is not willing to cheat for a plastic trophy. If a bike is reported to be illegal or is suspected to be illegal, the onus is upon the owner of that bike to show that the bike meets rules for their class. In this particular instance, a fork teardown will not happen, however a aftermarket pipe, rearset or power commander is fairly easy to identify under scrutineering.

If a bike is found to be illegal for a class that rider will not collect points in that race round.

We also make the rider wear "the cone of shame" for the rest of the season.

ian

Thanks Justin, I was just going to say 'Castration" and leave it at that, disqualifying the rider is probably more appropriate.

Our concern with this class was that there would be little or no entries so we tried to open it up to as many small bikes as possible, it is meant to be a cheap, easy, and fun way to get into road racing. The bike rules are more strict in an attempt to keep the costs down.

tcasey87

Justin and Ian

Thanks for the information.

I think it is a good idea to have a small displacement "production" racing class. Low cost can help get a new racer started (hooked). Sandi and I got started in the "Spec Thunder" class of the AMRA.

Of course, once you get started, racing is "an addiction only cured by poverty".

Kent

Fireman

Justin and Ian

Thanks for the information.

I think it is a good idea to have a small displacement "production" racing class. Low cost can help get a new racer started (hooked). Sandi and I got started in the "Spec Thunder" class of the AMRA.

Of course, once you get started, racing is "an addiction only cured by poverty".

Kent

I need to use that quote. :D

GSmith

I guess I should have looked at the EMRA rules for the 250 Gold Cup a little closer. I had just assumed that the two series (with identical titles) would have the same rules. Two completely different configurations for the same bike depending on which track we are at? Disappointing to say the least. Does the EMRA rules really require the bike to race with the stock exhaust? (weighs about the same as a small battleship and would cost the same to replace if/when the riders come off their bikes).

ian

I guess I should have looked at the EMRA rules for the 250 Gold Cup a little closer. I had just assumed that the two series (with identical titles) would have the same rules. Two completely different configurations for the same bike depending on which track we are at? Disappointing to say the least. Does the EMRA rules really require the bike to race with the stock exhaust? (weighs about the same as a small battleship and would cost the same to replace if/when the riders come off their bikes).

Grant, we started with the WMRC rules and then opened them up a bit, the stock exhaust rule came from the WMRC rulebook so you might want to check whether you can run an aftermarket exhaust there?

Ian

tcasey87

Ian

If I do a search of "exhaust" in the WMRC rules, the word appears in very few places. As I mentioned in my earlier post re the 2013 WMRC rules and the EMRA rules, I could not find a reference to the allowance of an "aftermarket exhaust" in Chapter 8 (the supersport rules), which are incorporated into the Chapter 8a 250 gold cup rules.

It does seem odd to me that the 2013 WRMC rules would allow electronic fuel injection control modules, but not allow aftermarket exhausts.

There is a reference to "exhaust" in the Chapter 8a 250 gold cup of the WRMC rules:

8.12a When racing at WMRC, all exhaust systems must meet sound requirements of 88db; and, when racing at PCMRC (Greg Moore Raceway), all exhaust systems must meet sound requirements of 78db

Why would WMRC refer to sound tests if you have to use a stock exhaust in the 250 Gold Cup class?

There is an interesting list of mods to a "2012 Championship winning 250 Gold Cup CBR 250" for sale on the WRMC website:

http://www.westwoodracing.com/forum...nning-250-Gold-Cup-CBR-250&highlight=250+gold

-Steel Braided Brake Line
-Race Tech Fork Springs
-Race Tech Gold Valves
-Race Compound Brake Pads
-Bazzaz Fuel Injection ECU with a custom map developed on a dyno
-Penske Triple Adjustable Shock (high and low speed compression)
-Renthal Race Chain
-Aftermarket Aluminum Sprockets with gearing for Mission and Greg Moore
-Yoshimura Frame Sliders
-Custom Waterpump and Engine case sliders
-Vortex Clip Ons
-Sato Adjustable Rearsets with Custom Peg Sliders
-Yoshimura Race Stand Spools
-Custom Swingarm spools/rear axle sliders
-Flexi Glass Bodywork with Custom Paint
-Custom Fitted Titanium GSXR 1000 Muffler
-Full Carbon Yosh Exaust setup
-second set of wheels complete with Discs and Rain Tires
-2 sets of race take off Dry Tires
$7500.00 Firm

Very sharp looking bike, but not a good one to buy for the EMRA 250 Gold Cup class. You would be paying a lot of $$$ for mods that would not be allowed.

Kent

GSmith

Both clubs are silent (no pun intended) on the stock exhaust issue. All the photos of bikes I have seen running in the BC series have aftermarket exhausts on them. My understanding is that you are o.k. as long as you can meet the noise requirements. That is why some are running mufflers off larger bikes (quiet and lighter than stock but don't restrict the exhaust flow too much). The other big restriction at Greg Moore is restricting metal to asphalt contact by way of sliders...everywhere on the bike that can make contact with the track.

I am getting help from a number of folks that are involved with the series and hopefully we will be able to get the bike through tech when we go in April. I will update this thread when we get back highlighting what we had to do to pass tech.

My next challenge will be to get the Honda RS125 through tech at Mission for the noise restrictions. I'm also getting some help/advice for that issue but it will most likely take a lot of work to get the bike attenuated sufficiently without completely compromising the performance. Getting the R6S through tech at Mission will be a piece of cake once we get the RS125 sorted out!

Fireman

Here are the rules for the EMRA Gold cup series

5.15 250 Gold Cup - The intent of the 250 Gold Cup class is to provide an inexpensive class for Novice, Intermediate
and Expert racers.
All motorcycles must meet the equipment standards in Chapter 5.2 plus the following:
 The replica bodywork must mimic the silhouette of the stock O.E.M. bodywork and tail section. The complete
stock O.E.M. seat must be used. Any available windscreen for your model can be used. V1.3 January, 2013 14 of 22
 Airbox must retain stock O.E.M. appearance.
 Adjustments may be made to the swingarm for gearing and chain adjustment.
 No quick shifter devices allowed.
 CDI/Igniter may be replaced with an aftermarket model.
 No master cylinder modifications or replacements of aftermarket master cylinders.
 Aftermarket levers are allowed.
 DOT tires must be used. Their original tread pattern may not be grooved or modified. Non-DOT grooved rain
tires are allowed.
 Slicks are not allowed.
 Engine displacement not to exceed 250cc
 Motards and GP bikes are not allowed.
Unless specifically allowed in Chapter 5.15, no other part modifications, replacements, additions, or deletions are
allowed. IF THE RULEBOOK DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY ALLOW THE MODIFICATION, THEN IT IS NOT
PERMITTED.

As you can see, the stock exhaust is required as per the highlighted area. For 2013 stock exhaust will be required. These rules will be like always enforced based from racer protests.

Meaning: A illegal modification will be investigated in the event of a rider protest.

So if for 2013 it turns out that we have 5 racers in the class, and all 5 of you then decide that together you want to allow the stock exhaust......don't protest each other.

If the above happens, and you would like to see that rule changed for the 2014 rulebook. Please bring it up at the 2013 AGM to be discussed and voted on. I hope that this helps clarify any misunderstanding in this regard.