2011 race school question

Snakes709

Assuming this deal with the track comes out possitive. I looked back on the dates of previous race school weekends and it seems to be the first weekend of may, correct? If thats the case, for the 2011 year it would be May 6th, 7th and 8th?

Reason why im asking is cuz im with the army and we are all over the place getting ready for afghanistan. I know between now and the summer ill be in Germany, Wainwright and possibly California. Just wanna find out for sure that way i can (doubt it) put in for leave for that weekend so i can attend.

Fireman

Yes, historically the School runs the first week of may. Unfortunately we will not have the dates confirmed until the beginning of January. Usually just before the bike show.

Carver

2011 race school

Will someone be accepting registrations for race school at the bike show this weekend?

MyTTwin

Perhaps Ian or someone could chime in to confirm but I do not believe applications will be accepted at the bike show this year. Go to "Downloadable forms" under "Club information" to print application and info for payment... If choosing to paid via web site I think Ian will be updating "Fees and Payments" shortly after the bike show.
Also, the Race school will be May 13-15 this year.
Hope that helps.

yak

Hi folks

There are 2 ways to reserve your spots in the race school.

One is to pay via paypal. The club Fee and Payment page on the website will be updated shortly allowing for this method of payment. (Dave is very busy with work and I only recently emailed the info that he requires to make the changes.) I'm hoping that the updates will be made by the end of Sunday.

Two mail a cheque to the club PO Box shown on the Contacts page. ($265 for Level 1 or 2 and $495 for both Level 1 and 2, these rates include a $35 club membership).

Note: the race school has never sold out before the end of February so there shouldn't be a problem for anyone getting on this in the next couple of weeks.

Regards,

Todd

Last edited:

Snakes709

well hopefully it doesnt get sold out because i wont know if i can attend until i find out the final word about being deployed over seas.

YZF1000jon

Race school is the May 14 weekend, if you pay for it and find out you are being shipped out I'm sure you could sell your spot.

yak

Similar to what Jon said. Pay for your spot now to reserve it and if you give us 2 weeks notice that you won't be able to make it we will give you a full refund.

Regards,

Todd

JDstealth

There just one weekend per year for the school? I've only rode for two months and I would like to get into racing, but probably just track days this year. Should I get more seat time before taking the school?

yak

That's a tough question, but I believe that the track and the structure of the race school create one of the safest environments to learn how to ride your street bike better. The club only runs one race school weekend per year (due to scheduling limitations), but it presents a great opportunity to kick off the season on the right "track".

There are other options out there including Justin's On Track sessions. And if you expand the scope further another option to consider is picking up a used dirt bike and playing were the ground is (a bit) softer.

As a side note: one of the most enthusiastic students that I ever worked with only had 800 km total riding experience and they learned a lot and had a great time at the school.

JDstealth

Ok thanks for the advice, i'll have to think further on the subject...

Where can i find more on "Justin's On Track Sessions"?

YZF1000jon

Justins school is www.ontrackperformance.ca It would be great to see you at the race school, but if that makes you nervous, track days are an option and combining that with Volunteering with the EMRA (volunteers are eligible to collect track vouchers) makes for a great track experience. Like Todd said, it's a tough question.

That's a tough question, but I believe that the track and the structure of the race school create one of the safest environments to learn how to ride your street bike better. The club only runs one race school weekend per year (due to scheduling limitations), but it presents a great opportunity to kick off the season on the right "track".

I did the OTP level 1 and 2 last year. Committed to track only this year. I have been thinking about the cost effectivness of entering the odd race weekend as opposed to just doing track days. Just have a few questions:

Once you take the race school and obtain your race licence, are you allowed to attend the Saturday practice only on race weekends? Or are you obligated to register for a race on Sunday if you want to attend on Saturday? I think I read somewhere that you must enter at least one actual race a year to keep your licence.

And is the Saturday practice ran in a similiar manner to the track days, more or less the same amount of track time?

oldskool

I did the OTP level 1 and 2 last year. Committed to track only this year. I have been thinking about the cost effectivness of entering the odd race weekend as opposed to just doing track days. Just have a few questions:

Once you take the race school and obtain your race licence, are you allowed to attend the Saturday practice only on race weekends? Or are you obligated to register for a race on Sunday if you want to attend on Saturday? I think I read somewhere that you must enter at least one actual race a year to keep your licence.

And is the Saturday practice ran in a similiar manner to the track days, more or less the same amount of track time?

You are allowed to do as you please, there are no rules suggesting that you can't PAY to play whenever you feel like it.

Saturday has three 15 min groups ((a,b,c) depending on machinery, experiance and speed) that alternate all day. You will get lots of time on the track, or at least as much as you really need in one day, assuming you're ready to go for the first session.

You must race at least once every 2 years (I believe?) to 'keep' your license. I'm sure any ex-racer would be able to bypass this rule with a check out session but that's just my hunch.

You should at least race a round or two considering the ever increasing chances of having no track in Alberta.

yak

In reply to your questions thumpthump.

If you have a race license, all the safety equipment required by the rule book, and a race bike that passes tech (which is not the same as track day tech) you can register for a race weekend practice session only. That being said you have to race every 2 years to maintain your license or a check out will be required. Additionally your riding will have to be viewed as "safe" (consistent and sufficiently fast) to exercise these privileges. The once a year note that you read refers to avoiding paying a race license renewal fee in addition to an annual club membership.

I highly recommend you start racing in the Novice class as soon as time and money permit. It is difficult to put to words the experience of racing as an activity above and beyond turning fast laps in practice. If you register in the Novice class it will cost ~$90 for the race day which will give you 2 practice sessions and 2 races. It's an unbelievable deal.

Good luck,

Todd

Thanks for the replies guys,

Is there a special rate for Novices on race day? I just thought it was ~$85 for the first event and ~$20 for each additional event? Or does the race day include 2 separate novice races?

Fireman

Thanks for the replies guys,

Is there a special rate for Novices on race day? I just thought it was ~$85 for the first event and ~$20 for each additional event? Or does the race day include 2 separate novice races?

The novice race you enter will consist of 2 heats (races) One in the morning and one in the afternoon.