2014 EMRA Rule Changes

DEFBOY35

either way, as said, it is all theoretical until we hit the full track and actually see first hand what the difference will be. west loop, other than one section i think the 600 had the advantage, but throw in the extra straights with the east side and who knows.
the big thing i think is this, will more riders compete in the sbk if it is split up into the 600's and 1000's. feeling they have a better chance. if it does that is a good thing. instead of having maybe 15 bikes on track, we can up that number to 20-25 that would be awesome, making it cheaper to hold that race. that does effect the sbk numbers, as i dont see that many riders jumping onto 1000's to replace the lost 600's.
but run the grids either mixed expert/intermediate like mission and calgary(pretty sure i remember rob saying they ran mixed) or do combined grid scoring the 600's and 1000's separate.
i personally like the idea of running expert/int combined, was a lot of fun in mission. helps the faster intermediates learn from the experts and would make for nice big grids.

Jason Henton

With the concerns of speed difference and want of more eligible classes for the 600s, would a second formula 105 type of class work? Formula 100 for lap times between 1:05 and 1.00 or similar?

AleksV

I never thought the speed defference/safety was a concern. I am more concerned over the power advantage of 1000cc bikes

sv-racing-parts

Any member attending the AGM gets Free Pizza and a Vote, :)

Lots of fun and a very pleasant informative evening, Time well spent,

Best regards,
Blair

macbayne

I like this one, my 2007 cbr is getting old in sportbike terms...

not really. cbr 600s, and r6s have not changed since 07 and gixxer 6s haven't changed significantly. if 7 years is the rule for sportsman, the grid would possibly be the biggest out there.

Spooner

not really. cbr 600s, and r6s have not changed since 07 and gixxer 6s haven't changed significantly. if 7 years is the rule for sportsman, the grid would possibly be the biggest out there.

That would be the point. A far cry from this years turn out of 2 or 3.

In the UtahSBk their Formula 5 (our sportsman, but they go with five yrs and older) was overwhelmingly the biggest grid and super fun race.

~S

Arctic Donkey

I'm driving up from Red Deer for the meeting. If anyone wants to jump in for a ride they are welcome.

We have a number of members that due to location will likely not be able to make the AGM (myself included). I would really like to see some means by which we can vote. Is there any reason that I couldn't email my vote(s) in? Clearly there would have to be a time limit to this.

sand.man

Proxy voting, appoint another member to represent your vote. Perhaps be available via text messaging or brief phone calls to portray information.

To make vote counting easier for Ian, maybe set up all members with a proxy vote all at one table or use a paper ballot system rather than show of hands (for clarity).

Schramm

There are a few 03-04 guys coming into the 10 year mark for sportsman, are there not? I know Lee and Justin ride 04 R6's, Cody's got his 03. Hell let's make it 15 years so my ZX can be competitive lol

Ducbert

In regard to Brake Guards...

I run Pazzo shorties, 2" shorter than a typical brake lever, still going to require brake guard?

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
In regard to Brake Guards...

I run Pazzo shorties, 2" shorter than a typical brake lever, still going to require brake guard?

So do I, but I picked up a lever guard anyways.
I figure if someone's elbow comes in on me from the side it will stop them from hitting my brakes.

M87

I would guess that would still be useful for exactly the reason stated above, to prevent contact.
Just a word of caution to people who run their lever out a long way. I ran mine so that they almost touched the guards. Vibration caused them to touch and my brakes " pumped up " very quickly. I was lucky to notice before they locked but I had remove the guard before I was able to make it back to the pits.
I'm thinking of running shorties next year.

Dave86

This is the wording from the AMA rule book:

3.12 Handlebars and Controls
a. All machines MUST be equipped with a brake lever guard
before being allowed through tech. It must be installed
properly and in place each time the motorcycle goes on
track. Approved guards can be found on the “Approved
Lever Guard List” on the AMA Pro Racing website.

Doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation, and that's the way it should be IMO. It's an easy, cost effective safety item, and I think it should be mandatory regardless of lever type. There are various different types that can accommodate different levers and mounting points.
We need clear rules in order to tech bikes effectively and consistently.

M87

Hi Dave,
I went to the AMA list of approved guards and could not find one that cost only $40 like the one you use.
I have a Woodcraft which is on the list, but are we going to follow the AMA list?
I think what the guys with short levers might want to know is what "installed properly" means.
One that goes over the end like mine or the Rizoma does not cover the ball on the end of the lever of a shorty lever.
I agree with the concise rules but this looks like something that will have to be hashed out.
I agree with the post after this and think that we should not restrict ourselves.
Perhaps "Any brake guard that protects the lever from unintended operation is suitable."

Last edited: