2014 EMRA Rule Changes

Hi Dave,
I went to the AMA list of approved guards and could not find one that cost only $40 like the one you use.
I have a Woodcraft which is on the list, but are we going to follow the AMA list?

I don't really think we need to specify a specific brand(s). The rule could read to include any functional guard.

Dave86

Hi Dave,
I went to the AMA list of approved guards and could not find one that cost only $40 like the one you use.
I have a Woodcraft which is on the list, but are we going to follow the AMA list?

I think that much like case covers, we should keep the rule simple, and just require a lever guard period - we can recommend a few different styles, but leave it up to the membership as to what they can choose from, as long as it serves the intended purpose.
With case guards, some were welding and reinforcing stock case covers to save some money, at the end of the day as long as it does the job I don't have an issue with what people are going to put on there, the number of people who are going to go down and race AMA are relatively few, so while I think it's wise to look at their rule book as a reference for new ideas like this, I don't think we necessarily need to require specific, more expensive parts.

Jason Henton

I think that much like case covers, we should keep the rule simple, and just require a lever guard period - we can recommend a few different styles, but leave it up to the membership as to what they can choose from, as long as it serves the intended purpose.

If the club votes in the mandatory usage of lever guards, could they also use this as a type of sponsorship support? Ie. Have it promoted/arranged to have them purchased through one of the shops/vendors that support the club? I am thinking along the lines of some sort of group buy, in return for some advertising space or ?

JDstealth

If the club votes in the mandatory usage of lever guards, could they also use this as a type of sponsorship support? Ie. Have it promoted/arranged to have them purchased through one of the shops/vendors that support the club? I am thinking along the lines of some sort of group buy, in return for some advertising space or ?

Great idea, should be easy to get a decent deal since we can buy as a large number through the club.

Ryno

I think that you are over thinking this.. lever guards are a reletively inexpensive and a great safety feature. Im not sure what all of the fuss is about... its not like this is a 500 dollar piece of equip. If you would like to do the group buy idea, then I invite you to start talking to the shops and see what you can get lined up for the club members and present it at the AGM

Fireman

And if you get 20% off you can buy coffee and a muffin from Starbucks with the 12.00 you saved.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I think that you are over thinking this.. lever guards are a reletively inexpensive and a great safety feature. Im not sure what all of the fuss is about... its not like this is a 500 dollar piece of equip. If you would like to do the group buy idea, then I invite you to start talking to the shops and see what you can get lined up for the club members and present it at the AGM

Thaaannnkkk you. Agreed. Everyone get a lever guard, now lets talk about something other than that.

I think a Formula 105 type race will be really inefficient this year.

The pace from rounds 1 to 2 will be very different as everyone gets better on a new track. Then the pace from round 2 to 3 will quicken again. More so than with a track we all have plenty of laps on...

I see a TON of disqualifications, and an overall pointless class IMO.

I think it will take half a season before real solid numbers come out with the intermediate class. I say that because let's face it, most experts won't be running in the 'bracket' race, so this class is more towards the intermediates. It will take more than one practice day (or race round) to find the plateau of the intermediate racers so we can determine what lap time we set the Formula 105 race at.

Don't get me wrong, I love the race. If we have one, I'll enter it and compete. But if we pick a lap time like 1:34 and in the second round almost everyone crushes it, then we have to reassess(sp?) the time. Then we aren't using the facilities rental time wisely.

On a tighter schedule, I just don't think this makes sense this year.

Thoughts?

macbayne

Thaaannnkkk you. Agreed. Everyone get a lever guard, now lets talk about something other than that.

I think a Formula 105 type race will be really inefficient this year.

The pace from rounds 1 to 2 will be very different as everyone gets better on a new track. Then the pace from round 2 to 3 will quicken again. More so than with a track we all have plenty of laps on...

I see a TON of disqualifications, and an overall pointless class IMO.

I think it will take half a season before real solid numbers come out with the intermediate class. I say that because let's face it, most experts won't be running in the 'bracket' race, so this class is more towards the intermediates. It will take more than one practice day (or race round) to find the plateau of the intermediate racers so we can determine what lap time we set the Formula 105 race at.

Don't get me wrong, I love the race. If we have one, I'll enter it and compete. But if we pick a lap time like 1:34 and in the second round almost everyone crushes it, then we have to reassess(sp?) the time. Then we aren't using the facilities rental time wisely.

On a tighter schedule, I just don't think this makes sense this year.

Thoughts?

completely agree. let's get a core race schedule with solid grids and tweek what works.

Jason Henton

Yes they are, and that is why I had already decided to put one on my bike. My original issue was concern for the club mandating an increase in costs, when I believe that there is more pressing (cost) concerns to deal with. Its not that I don't agree with them, or think they are overly expensive. Sorry for any confusion. Let me also try to clarify about my last post. If the guards are voted in, Could the club mandate a specific vendor (or brand) that the guards were to be purchased through, in return for a sponsorship package? Kind of like a spec class? If we setup a group buy, and had 75-100 guys buying, it would add up to something.

Ryno

Yes they are, and that is why I had already decided to put one on my bike. My original issue was concern for the club mandating an increase in costs, when I believe that there is more pressing (cost) concerns to deal with. Its not that I don't agree with them, or think they are overly expensive. Sorry for any confusion. Let me also try to clarify about my last post. If the guards are voted in, Could the club mandate a specific vendor (or brand) that the guards were to be purchased through, in return for a sponsorship package? Kind of like a spec class? If we setup a group buy, and had 75-100 guys buying, it would add up to something.

I understand where you are coming from with this.. and like I had mentioned, feel free to source this avenue with the shops and see what can be lined up. I know last year sv racing parts did a emra deal on woodcraft guards. If they were mandated im sure he will offer the same deal.

sv-racing-parts

Hi Jason and all, In regards to the Brake and Clutch Side Lever Guards, Regardless of whether or not the Club mandate the use of the guards I will have great pricing and lots of them so all anyone needs to do is Email me Directly at [email protected] and I will take good care of everyone interested.

Hand Guards are one of our new products that we are in production for distribution of right now. EMRA members will very happy with what we have to offer for the 2014 Season.

As to the AGM, unfortunately I will be overseas for that week and not be back in time to attend.

I would like to see Expert and Intermediate Middleweight Twins become a combined class, known as Battle of the twins.

It would be all 750cc and under 4 Stroke Twins, and any 2 of 4 Stroke Single, and any 450cc and under 2 Stroke Twin.

Covers a lot of bikes and gets a great grid going. This is a class that SV Racing Parts could really get behind supporting and would be very competitive and interesting to watch.

It would allow bikes like Neil's single and TZ 250 bikes to run and compete and bring a few more riders out of the woodwork,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

Spooner

My original issue was concern for the club mandating an increase in costs, when I believe that there is more pressing (cost) concerns to deal with.

Such as? Please clarify.

If the guards are voted in, Could the club mandate a specific vendor (or brand) that the guards were to be purchased through, in return for a sponsorship package? Kind of like a spec class? If we setup a group buy, and had 75-100 guys buying, it would add up to something.
In a short answer no. How would the club enforce the use of a specific guard and enforce that a specific vendor was used?

For all of those looking, a quick look on ebay brought to my attentions the following.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f289869b7&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VORTEX-RACI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2953af2f&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOODCRAFT-R...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7bf52a1d&vxp=mtr

~Scott

the_fornicator

Agreed. The F105 won't be feasible the first year as timings aren't established -it'd be more of a gongshow and potentially a hazard than anything else. Even if it were introduced the 2nd season at Castrol, the "105" will probably even be tweaked. We should get the times down first, IMO.

I suggest omitting the F105 as Brian suggested and try something else in its place -something that people have been hankering for but scheduling/timing hasn't allowed for it. e.g. someone suggested a 600SS race or something of the sort. We might have some play room here so hopefully we can do some trial and error next season.

DEFBOY35

agreed with scott, you can not mandate a specific gaurd or vendor. only that a guard must be used.
because im not about to piss off sponsors who have been great to me, by swapping to another gaurd, when i already have the best one available , if it is not the one chosen.

Jason Henton

Such as? Please clarify.

I was under the impression that we would be facing cost increases due to the need for air-fence, a possible drop in participants, and general (rental) increases of moving over to Castrol. Adding other costs, at a time when some people may be stretching their budgets a bit, doesn't seem wise to me. The majority of posters do not seem to consider it as a significant cost, and its buried within this thread somewhere, so I don't want to beat a dead horse over it.

In a short answer no. How would the club enforce the use of a specific guard and enforce that a specific vendor was used?

~Scott

Thats why I had originally said "group buy" not "mandate". As Shane pointed out, some people already have them, and we don't need to force them to re-purchase one. Maybe another way to look at is this, if a vendor\retailer were willing to supply a portion of proceeds of sales to the club in sponsorship of a race session or what have you, it would be beneficial for everyone to purchase from that vendor. As a group buy it would secure x amount of sales to justify it for the vendor. Anyways, it was just an idea.

sand.man

Jesus christ on a bicycle.

jesus+on+bike.jpg