2020 Rule Change Discussion

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by DEFBOY35, Oct 28, 2019.

1. blam

blam Administrator

Brian Lam
    that's a great question. I feel like we had more presence in the social media in previous years than last. granted, i do not use much personally when it comes to social media (never on FB and hardly on IG these days)

I was not on the exec this year, but i was last year and i can say i did not know about the fundraiser either.

most of the EMRA events seem to be posted primarily on FB so if you dont use that you will miss it. does the club need to hit more social media platforms?

does the general membership have issues with email blasting? will they be read? or fall on deaf ears like tech bulletins? I was really un-involved this year with the club as a whole so i really have no idea what happened this year with the mostly new executive and general membership as a whole

2. DEFBOY35

DEFBOY35 Well-Known Member

Shane C Fraser
    I think the email blast would work. Not everybody does the social media thing. If they skip the email that’s on them and nobody can say well I didn’t see it anywhere. I wouldn’t be shocked if there is a bunch of people not sure of when the agm is

3. Snak

Snak EMRA Executive Member

Eric
    Email blast was sent out, all the members should have received it.

DEFBOY35 likes this.
  4. gixxer60_0

gixxer60_0 Active Member

Thad Klassen
    I never received anything. Where do you get the email address from?

5. David.Trofimuk@telus.net

David.Trofimuk@telus.net New Member

With 40+ bikes in the sportsman/LWSB grid I think the grid size is a problem; thus, I support Matt’s proposal for waved starts.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  6. David.Trofimuk@telus.net

David.Trofimuk@telus.net New Member

I support this proposal

7. Nevets

Nevets EMRA Executive Member

Steve O'Brien
    The email went out to the address you use to login to MSR. If you still haven't received anything there, check your spam filters.

The email definitely went out, because I received it.

blitzgt3 likes this.
  8. fast316

fast316 EMRA Executive Member

Less than one week to go, get your rule change proposals in. Our tireless secretary Mark will take them out, and put them up for discussion at the AGM. Best to be there in person to support your proposed changes.

marmstro likes this.
  9. ehagar

ehagar Member

Everett
    One of the things I find confusing with the rulebook is the competition categories surrounding the 600 class. As it stands right now it is written as follows:
    Section 5.1 Competition Categories of the rulebook:
    -600 SS - 640cc or less (twins up to 750cc, triples up to 680cc, singles - Open)
    Section 5.3 of the rulebook going over the definition of Sportsbike:
    Classes: - 600 SS - 640cc or less (twins up to 750cc, triples up to 680cc, Ducati 848, singles - Open)
    Section 5.5 of the rulebook defining what a superbike is:
    600 Superbike • Engine displacement: four cylinders: 640cc or less, triples up to 680cc, twins up to 750cc, single cylinder – no restriction

My understanding is the Ducati 848 was removed during the last AGM. Although if I was to interpret the above, I suppose you could argue that the 848 is allowed in the Sportbike categories but disallowed in the Superbike catergories. My guess is this was not the intent.

I propose that the wording of section 5.1, 5.3, and 5.5 read:
    Engine displacement: four cylinders: 640cc or less, triples up to 680cc, twins up to 850cc, single cylinder – no restriction

This would be in alignment with several other organizations which allow the Ducati 848. For example, the Manitoba Roadracing Association:
    CHAPTER 10 600 SUPERSPORT
    10.1 Engine Displacement (must be OE in bore and stroke) a) Two cylinder: 850cc maximum b) Three cylinder: 675cc maximum c) Four cylinder: 636cc maximum

Taking a quick look around I could find several other organizations with similar wording (eg WERA, ASRA).

10. Nevets

Steve O'Brien
    Everett you must be looking at an older version of the rulebook. The 2019 rulebook did remove the 848 from all 600 classes as per the membership vote at the AGM. You can find the 2019 rulebook here.

That said, we can still change it to what you're suggesting, provided the membership agrees at the AGM.

ehagar likes this.
  11. ehagar

ehagar Member

Everett
    Thanks Steve.

Maybe I am cross-eyed, but section 5.3 on pg 17 of the link you provided says:
    ' 600 SS - 640cc or less (twins up to 750cc, triples up to 680cc, Ducati 848, singles - Open)'

Anyway... I still propose changing the language of 5.1, 5.3, 5.5 to:
    Engine displacement: four cylinders: 640cc or less, triples up to 680cc, twins up to 850cc, single cylinder – no restriction

Whether the motion passes or not, I think the wording will need to be fixed.

kyleducati likes this.
  12. Nevets

Steve O'Brien
    Damnit, you're right.
    I missed that one when I updated the rule book last year. Shame on me.

13. kyleducati

kyleducati New Member

i would also like to revisit the case for 848s in the 600 classes, (new rule no difference in 600, 636, 675, or 848 in any 600 base class events)

id also like to put an endurance race event to a vote! while i'm aware this can be a costly expense to the club, id like to add if this actually does threaten the overall financial stability of the club then it should be recognized and the decision made accordingly. I think this should be a two part process - one to vote for a yes/no despite the cost implications. another open discussion once this is decided for rules and processes, i think our neighbors should be taped (westwood motorcycle racing club) on info and guidance around rules as they have been holding one successfully for a number of years, as a way to "give back" to the riders.
    (new rule being new topic of discussion around endurance event)

id like to change our JUMP START penalty to a time base rather that position, "continuous" repeat offenders should be awarded DNF results, this is of course an optional sub-rule if we are afraid of this being used as a tactic to win races. (new rule being 5 seconds)

blitzgt3 and xav12srt like this.
  14. fast316

I'd just like to start by saying I love endurance racing, Suzuka 24h is a great race, the Endurance races the EMRA used to put on at Stratotech were also a lot of fun. There isn't a year that goes by I don't try to find ways to put another one on, we've tossed around the idea of splitting a day with a car club in the past, but you don't want to hang out with some of those guys for too long.Trust me it will make you go crazy. My last attempt at an endurance race was just last year at another small local track. But that track was under construction last summer and will be for most of next summer. Simply put at Castrol cost is a HUGE implication, cost is really only second to safety when it comes to racing. A day of racing at Castrol raceway costs the club roughly $12500. I don't think we ever got more than 10 teams for an EMRA Endurance race. At, lets say 3 riders per team, that's 30 riders. That's a real expensive way to give back to only 30 riders. If we got lets just say 10 teams to enter, race fees would be $1250 per team, just to break even, no trophies no cash purse or any other extra cost. You are going to want to put an endurace race at the end of the season (because how many people will let you endurance race/crash their bike half way through a regular race season?) and right now the only weekends left for track rental are in October. Might as well call it an ice race. For $1250 I'm going racing in the states that time of year. In terms of spending money and giving back why don't we spend the $12500 on four new blocks of air fence? That would give back to all riders, make things safer for everyone. Or why don't we put on a free race weekend? That would also give back to all the riders too. We shouldn't because it is not good for the club. The economics at Castrol as they currently are just don't allow it.

blitzgt3, xav12srt and kyleducati like this.
  15. fast316

I got a couple more things I'd like to post up here for all to see. I'm constantly looking for ways to make things safer for us, I think I have come up with a couple ways here, so:

1. I'd like to see the club pay for a second ambulance crew to be track side on race weekends. The cost would be roughly $900/day in addition to what we normally pay. It would obviously give us more access to medical attention. But this would eliminate ambulance delays and keep us very much on schedule every day, potentially saving us late fees and bad relations with other track renters. It also gives out of town racers an easier drive home and all of us more time at home with family because the race days would be fully complete on time.

2. The Dees have some new medical equipment for pain relief. It is costly, roughly $40/per use, I say the club cover the costs any time there is a rider in need.

Not so much rule changes here, but this thread is for ideas to make things better, and I'd like to see us all vote on making things safer.

rparsloe, blitzgt3, xav12srt and 2 others like this.
  16. Ducbert

Ducbert Active Member

Norbert aka "Jaju"
    Not a rules change but maybe something to ponder for next year. Could we hold the AGM at let's say "Speeders" and have a "team" building, race and AGM day? I'm sure they have conference space to rent. I know there would be a cost, but if you made me pay to burn rubber and get an AGM in, I'm all over it! What else you gonna spend money on in Dec? More PS4 games, thicker socks, Christmas presents for others, hog wash(this term was used instead of bullshit for you youngsters)?!?

marmstro and Botts like this.
  17. blam

blam Administrator

Brian Lam
    This is a great idea, especially the 2nd crew. we lose a ton of time on transfers and waiting for ambulance clearance. this will really help with keeping us on schedule i imagine.

Botts likes this.