Castrol Road Course

ian

Here's a picture of the track they are paving out at Castrol, they are hoping to have the big 12 corner track ready for use in three years. It will run clockwise and is 2.7Km long by 12m wide. :) It looks FAST!

Castrol.jpg

Here's a link to a video of the press release:

http://emra.ca/Video/Castrol2011.MPG

Last edited:

Dave86

Great stuff, can't wait to see it materialize. Glad to see they aren't using the drag strip for the straight so we don't have to worry about VHT.

Looks like there should be plenty of run off in most corners, so the need for air fence shouldn't be too big.

YZF1000jon

And we'll finally get to wear out the right hand side of our tires!:D How much elevation change do they figure for the "High Track" portions? Does anyone know?​

Michelin Man

Man I am so excited about this, this is the best news and comes at such a good time since we are losing Race City. Makes me think there is hope for our sport yet. I will finally will prepare a 1000 for competition, it would be super fun there. As a membership we'll have to figure out how we want to incorporate it into our club. Two separate series? Or together? It would be nice to have a collective championship, but some members may not want to run both tracks. What does everyone think??

turn8

Road course update

Mike Elhard 12:39pm Sep 19 On Monday night I drove the short course at speed. It is missing 20M of pavement connecting the short course to the main straight. This work is planned for next week sept 24-30. Keep in mind next spring the final top coat of asphalt will smooth out the bottom coat in place already. Walls, barricades and other curbing are still scheduled for this fall. FIA inspection is in early Oct.

The Castrol Road course feature turn is the speedway turn. Picture this, you just flew down a long straight now you find yourself entering a 200 degree long sweeping right that flows into a short straight. Swinging right you then set up for a long 200 degree left. Both of these are banked but the speedway turn has huge banking. As you exit turn 4 it’s hard on the brakes cutting left as you set up for the double apex, downhill, right turn of the short course cut off. As you spit out of the chute onto the wide main straight you yell POWERRRR as you will swing to the left set up for Turn 1 right hander. This flows into a good braking zone before the turn 2 hard right. Turn 2 is a tough one, a tight right onto the back straight will make for good drag races into the speedway turn.
This Sat sept 22 2012 the drift guys are going to use the track for the first event on the new road course! Anyone who wants a look is welcome.

This track is over budget by a million plus dollars! That’s not chump change! It’s going to take years to get these 3 million back into the pockets of the investors. Our support as drivers and racers is critical to its success. I ask everyone to stop slagging Castrol Raceway and its owners. Nobody is going to get rich on this deal. It’s honestly getting done by racers for racers so tell everyone this is happening and next spring we here in little ol’Edmonton will have the best road course in western Canada!

YZF1000jon

Hmm sounds interesting. I am, however, disappointed to see cars on track before paving is actually complete and the asphalt has had a chance to really set up. I fear car induced ripples could turn a great facility into a washboard bronco ride to rival Race City at it's worst. Fingers crossed this doesn't happen.

turn8

Castrol info

Castrol short course 1,3km------ 5 turns

Stratotech 1,7km--------- 9 turns.

;) :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: