Castrol Road Course

15 km------ ~140 turns

AYJ0Y.png

roadrash

Its wicked that they are pushing forward rather aggressively on getting this project completed. I have always been jealous of areas like Southern California and even Ontario for that matter for the fact that they have multiple tracks to ride within a 3 hour driving window. We may get this lucky too...whoohoo!
Only down side is the track layout/geography isn't lending itself too well to bikes just yet, its amazing if you are a car guy tho!!!

Fireman

I spent some time out there a couple of days ago. Im excited about this course. I was however flat out told that they won't be making any concessions for motorcycles. If the course does not suit us from a safety standpoint, we will need to purchase whatever safety equipment we need to make it work (ie airfence) I would expect to see a large amount of airfence being needed at this point.

There is a 3rd gear corner that opens up into where a concrete barrier is going to be placed. At this point that is my greatest concern as there was a rider fatally wounded in mission less than 5 years ago in the exact same setup. Unfortunately at this time I think their answer to us may be......just dont ride here then.

It is a reminder of how good Stratotech has been to the EMRA.

Racin Jason

I spent some time out there a couple of days ago. Im excited about this course. I was however flat out told that they won't be making any concessions for motorcycles. If the course does not suit us from a safety standpoint, we will need to purchase whatever safety equipment we need to make it work (ie airfence) I would expect to see a large amount of airfence being needed at this point.

There is a 3rd gear corner that opens up into where a concrete barrier is going to be placed. At this point that is my greatest concern as there was a rider fatally wounded in mission less than 5 years ago in the exact same setup. Unfortunately at this time I think their answer to us may be......just dont ride here then.

It is a reminder of how good Stratotech has been to the EMRA.

Wow that is disappointing. You think they would want to work with the local clubs.
Lots of air fence means lots of money and lots of labor involved in set up and tear down.
Its a shame. Dan has always been open to suggestions on how to make the track safer for us. As a matter of fact he supplied me the equipment to move all the big round hay bales back down in 2, because myself and some of the other riders wanted more run off down there. Not to mention all the times he lets us go out and sweep the track if we want to. All at his expense. I guess I assumed that all track owners would be as open to safety concerns.

sand.man

Castrol is pretty shady when it comes to safety I think... You sign the waiver, after that you're on your own.

YZF1000jon

I'm sure they're open to safety concerns, and as far as I can tell, it's not much of a "safety concern" for car drivers. Bikes will unfortunately end up as an afterthought in the car vs bike discussion. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

macbayne

or we could just wait and see. you saw the same interview i did, and there was talk about motorcycle racing.

Planepower

or we could just wait and see. you saw the same interview i did, and there was talk about motorcycle racing.

Back in 84 there was exactly the same thought at Race City. No air fence tho. It took 2 lives (if not more) before the introduction of the 'bus stop'.

fonzy

Im all for safety i dont want to see or hear of anyone get hurt , its sad really , id love to see a western round to the Mopar superbikes , and such , but in saying that ive run many tracks in cars ie Calgary Gimli and Im still in love with how good and safe stratotech feels

jetfixer15

I flew over the track a few days ago and there seems to be plenty of space to make a track safe for all types of vehicles. Why all new tracks are not designed to meet international competition specifications I will never figure out. It only makes sense in order to attract larger venues in the future and keep a healthy local racing clientel base. I hope this is what happens at Castrol as anything else would be short sighted.

S-african

Any further news on this course?
IS EMRA considering adding it to the schedule for 2013? Heard that some of it has new paving, not sure how much though, and more to be done by spring of 2013.

If not EMRA, anyone heard if Calgary was considering it?