Castrol Track Attack June 15th - Q&A

Koltonb02

Hey folks,

Just had a few questions regarding the June 15th track day. I’m a new rider and have never attended a track day. I’ve signed up for the novice group and was curious what the schedule looks like? (What time I should arrive, what the evening consists of etc.) Also is there any tips you could throw at a first timer!

Thanks in advance!

blam

Administrator
show up at 430 to get ready.

there is a mandatory riders meeting around 5 i think

your first 2 sessiosn are paced to show you the lines

groups alternate 12 minute sessions

relax and have fun. ask the executives if you want someone to tag along and give you tips during your session

DEFBOY35

Registration opens at 4. I'd suggest being there for that.
Bring some water and a Gatorade.
Double check your bike the night before to ensure everything is good to go.

Biggest thing. Relax. Breathe. Have fun and don't feel pressured to ride at a pace above your comfort/skill level.

electrobiker86

Bring some snacks, or better yet supper, food concession can be hit and miss. Likely no food concessions at the track on wet days / nights.

Any vendors that come to the track typically only take cash. I usually bring at least $200, there can be deals to be had on tires, riding gear, parts etc.

Bikes run rain or shine, look at and be prepared for the weather forecast.

Friday track attacks are shared with the race club, "street riders" typically park in the 2 rows closest to the drag strip. This particular Friday coming up is not followed by a race weekend, so parking this Friday shouldn't be as much of an issue as it can be on a race weekend.

Ditto everything Brian and Shane said. Breathe, relax, repeat, it is just another street. This street doesn't go anywhere, and has no speed limit are the only differences. Well that and a distinct lack of 4 wheeled vehicles trying to run you over.

No one cares about, or will be impressed by, how fast you are as a new rider to the scene; the experienced people are noting your interaction with other riders on track and how smooth you are.

Riding gear: Full body coverage, no major tears / rips, fits correct. Full face helmet. 2 piece suits must fasten together. Portions of the track face the sunset, track attack goes to dusk, tinted visor helps.

Bike: no fluid drips (fork / shock seals dry?), tires good, brakes have adequate pad life and have firm control levers, any glass; tape up with masking tape or remove the glass. Enough gas is always a good thing, no pump gas at Castrol.

If possible bring a friend / helper / drive home / first aid contact. There is no safer place to ride, but riders who believe there are no hazards are nieve. Many find a track day draining of energy, if you ride to the track alone watch your energy level, could be a tired trip home.

If you need help unloading your bike, or anything else, just ask; I have found everyone there likes helping fellow riders.

These people also have track days at Castrol: https://www.hardnoxtrackdayz.com/

Koltonb02

Thanks for the awesome replies guys!

One last thing, is there a ramp there to unload out of the box of a truck?

electrobiker86

Just a heads up on another point. Hope I have wrote this in a way that no one is left with the impression that I feel negative about the club or the event. Wish I could ride this one...

Realise that the Track Attack event is physically set up and run by the volunteers from the race club, EMRA, and there is lots to do behind the scenes to get the track open. I believe it is 5 or so large trailers of stuff that have to be set up. As with any volunteer effort; be patient if answers are not immediate or things are running a little behind as the volunteers are doing their best, and they want to get on the track too. The event is bare bones so to speak, the track is provided, that is about it. I have seen some street riders come to Track Attack assuming the event is like a business run event, and then be disappointed about loose start or session times or that there wasn't some amenity provided.

The experience is about expectations sometimes.

If you want a track day where everything from lunch to ear plugs to tools are also provided from the entrance fee; check out the Hardnox link above.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Just a heads up on another point. Hope I have wrote this in a way that no one is left with the impression that I feel negative about the club or the event. Wish I could ride this one...

Realise that the Track Attack event is physically set up and run by the volunteers from the race club, EMRA, and there is lots to do behind the scenes to get the track open. I believe it is 5 or so large trailers of stuff that have to be set up. As with any volunteer effort; be patient if answers are not immediate or things are running a little behind as the volunteers are doing their best, and they want to get on the track too. The event is bare bones so to speak, the track is provided, that is about it. I have seen some street riders come to Track Attack assuming the event is like a business run event, and then be disappointed about loose start or session times or that there wasn't some amenity provided.

The experience is about expectations sometimes.

If you want a track day where everything from lunch to ear plugs to tools are also provided from the entrance fee; check out the Hardnox link above.

Geez, that reads like a two star yelp review. 'Would not recommend.'

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I'd give the EMRA and It's track days a 5 star review. The EMRA puts on the safest days, at by far the cheapest price, with a focus on riders who are there to become faster better riders. I think of it more as a for us by us vibe than just bare bones. Which is the experiance most EMRA members want. Simple as that.

DEFBOY35

A few notes in regards to your post.
You're correct. The Emra volunteers to host the Friday night track attacks for Castrol raceway.

The schedule on th majority of nights is actually fairly consistent dependent on registration opening on time.
Registration opens at 4
Riders meeting is typically at 5 (give or take a few minutes)
Track is almost always live at 5:30
Sessions are 12 minutes. Clock starts as soon as last rider is off the track from previous group. If you would like the full session. Listen for the air horns and be prompt to grid. We typically see 5 rotations per night. This of course is dependent on factors such as crashes etc.
the last rotation may see a change to length in order to fit a full rotation in as our limiting factor being a night event is the sun going down and limited visibility creating a hazard.

We have run 15 minutes sessions in the past but it limits the number of rotations as well we have found most people tend to start pulling off around the 12 minutes mark anyways.

blam

Administrator
Although the EMRA does not put on the track attacks, yes we support it for castrol as Jon said.

The club earns memberships, a way to give back to the volunteers (track night vouchers) and some money to the club for helping put these on. the track attacks are 40% cheaper than a hardnox day. yes, almost HALF the price for maybe 1 less session. that value cannot be beat, and we all know how broke us racers are.

we executive have our hands full friday nights running the event and getting ready for the weekend races. I will admit we simply cannot provide the effort to give the luxuries of lunch, tools and ear plugs as our resources need to spent elsewhere.

having said that, if you needed any of the above, minus lunch, you could probably bug any of the exec and they'd help you out if they can find the time.

electrobiker86

Geez, that reads like a two star yelp review. 'Would not recommend.'

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I'd give the EMRA and It's track days a 5 star review. The EMRA puts on the safest days, at by far the cheapest price, with a focus on riders who are there to become faster better riders. I think of it more as a for us by us vibe than just bare bones. Which is the experiance most EMRA members want. Simple as that.

To be clear I was not providing a review, if I was I would agree it should be a 5 star, it is obvious everyone is putting their all into the event. EMRA members typically are already familiar with the event. Having heard the comments of expectations in street riders row at TA nights, I was only trying to inform someone new of what to expect. I have fed those without food and explained the how and whys to those uninformed at the track, the only intent here was to be preemptive.

electrobiker86

Let alone only 20 people show up!! Would have been a great night to join everyone out there!

I was sort of down that I didn't load a bike too, but my back is thanking me... Seemed to be lots of people on the various bike groups that didn't know about TA nights, I will put up some posts for the next one.

electrobiker86

Just wanted to let you all know I had a blast Friday! Definitely will be coming again. Best fun you can have on a bike by far!
Glad you had a great time, no better place to go fast for sure. If you come out July 6, hope you do, it is a race weekend so space will be tight, best to look for some direction on a parking spot upon arrival. The parking lot will have a way different look with the race crowd there.