Catch can

Logan

I was going over the rule book and going over my bike. I saw a section on requiring a catch can, I fumbled around the internet with no avail. What is it, and where does it go?

There was guys saying to use a old bottle then I've seen some pretty expensive setups for oil. I just need a little help determining what I need.

Thanks.

Jefferson

EMRA Executive Member
Hey Logan,

As per the rule book
Route all vent, breather, or overflow tubes coming from
the engine, transmission, or radiator into either a heat-
resistant catch can of at least 350cc capacity, or the air
box, which must be sealed to prevent fluid leakage.
The airbox may remain unsealed provided the bike is
fitted with a closed belly pan.

Basically the rules are referring to that catch setup for fuel, and coolant overflow. There are one, sometimes two hoses off of the fuel tank, for over fill of fuel and vapors from heat expansion/ sloshing. As well, there is a safety overflow hose from your coolant reservoir. On street bikes, they are simply routed to below the lowers fairings to exit onto the ground. For racing purposes, All of those hoses need to be routed in a way that they cannot spill fluid onto the track. An overflow bottle is preferred, but routing them into the bottom of your enclosed belly pan will also suffice, assuming the belly pan could hold the required 350cc volume.

-Jeff

Logan

OK, all of my hoses are currently routed to my belly pan on my race fairings. After reading that it sounded to me like I needed more. Thanks for the clarification.

Jefferson

EMRA Executive Member
No problem. Feel free to PM me directly if you have any more questions.

Just make sure the belly pan is sealed, unless its a declared wet race, in which case you can remove a plug to prevent taking on 30lb of water.

-Jeff