Do you need a mylaps subscription or just the transponder?

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by jjg, Jul 12, 2021.

1. jjg

jjg New Member

Hi there,

Searched the rulebook as well as this forum but nothing came up. Getting ready for my first time out in a VERY long time and we didn't have transponders back then... Don't want anything stopping me from racing...

I purchased a used transponder and I'm wondering if you have to get a subscription as well? Is registering the transponder with mylaps.com enough?

I've added my transponder number to my bike in my garage on the registration page but have not bought a mylaps subscription yet.

Also a tip - if you are buying a used transponder I would suggest having the person you are buying it from remove the number from their account and add it to your own before you give them money. I didn't have an issue and the person I bought it from was awesome but someone else might not be as nice.

2. Nevets

Nevets EMRA Executive Member

Steve O'Brien
    If the transponder you purchased requires a subscription, then yes, you'll need an active subscription; otherwise the transponder won't work.

3. jjg

jjg New Member

Cool, light is flashing green and ready for racing! Was hoping that it would send a signal regardless if it had a subscription or not. Ah well, worth a try anyways. Thanks for the reply!

4. DEFBOY35

DEFBOY35 Well-Known Member

Shane C Fraser
    If it is an x2 or their newer sub based one it will require the money grab. I mean subscription.