EMRA Rds 1 & 2

DEFBOY35

i do agree, there was mass confusion as to what was going on in that race, i did not see ANY flags for a while after, that was my concern. I think it took a while due to the location for alex to be noticed. when i came around and the bike was cleared off, i came up on 8 and seen the riders in the corner 9 station and came to a stop.
if alex had stayed down im not sure that anyone would have seen him from the current locations.
and of course, location would be paramount in order to keep our volunteers safe and out of harms way.

Jason Henton

The station position between 5&6 is a great idea, shouldn't be hard to spot a flag there, I had no problems seeing the photographer that was there on Saturday. The one on 9 looks like it should be moved up into the inside of 8 as it looks like it is in a direct runoff zone. I had a concern as to the runoff of 12 being directly in line to 5 as well, I didn't get a close up slow look at it but it would seem to me that a bike could potentially end up heading back into traffic in 5. The bleacher area also has a very open section that could potentially let a bike through into spectators, and I believe that the steel poles (in 1) are for safety nets to protect that area from the same issues?

DEFBOY35

The station position between 5&6 is a great idea, shouldn't be hard to spot a flag there, I had no problems seeing the photographer that was there on Saturday. The one on 9 looks like it should be moved up into the inside of 8 as it looks like it is in a direct runoff zone. I had a concern as to the runoff of 12 being directly in line to 5 as well, I didn't get a close up slow look at it but it would seem to me that a bike could potentially end up heading back into traffic in 5. The bleacher area also has a very open section that could potentially let a bike through into spectators, and I believe that the steel poles (in 1) are for safety nets to protect that area from the same issues?

i think the bleacher area is safe from anybody ending up there, you would have to be doing something incredibly wrong for that to happen!

hopefully nobody would be entering 12 quick enough for that to take place as well. that is probably the slowest part of the track id imagine.

As a spectator coming to watch and support the EMRA, I was quite disappointed with the ability to watch races.
I do understand there is much work to do, but for those who do support and wish to watch the races, will there be some improvements in that area?
The stands on the north side of the straight would be great if they were turned around. I know easier said than done.
Thanks for all your hard work emra, I look forward to watching and maybe participating in races again down the road.

sand.man

I think there's definitely plans to improve the spectator experience, but that's totally at the mercy of Castrol ownership...

But on a side note, if you want to watch from literally feet away... Best seats in the house are volunteering in a corner station. And as a bonus, you get fed lunch and free track time!

Fireman

We are getting a PA system, a podium, and a commentator to try and get some of the "showmanship" back to the races.

It's moving as we speak.

yak

Does the club have podium steps?

If not, do we want some?

We don't have the podium yet. The plan is to use one of the trailers as a base. In this case a very simple one level platform may be enough. The idea is to do something similar to the Canadian SBK series.

Do you have something available?

sand.man

We don't have the podium yet. The plan is to use one of the trailers as a base. In this case a very simple one level platform may be enough. The idea is to do something similar to the Canadian SBK series.

Do you have something available?

I don't have anything, but was thinking I would sponsor the labor of making one to the club and could try to source cheap/free materials.

yak

Jason is taking the lead on this. Drop him a note to see what will be needed.

sand.man

Okay, I'm only much help if it's to be made of metal (aluminum?)

If it's wood, anyone can handle that! :D

sand.man

Oh I forgot to mention something that came to me in a dream the other night... (Yes I dream about racing a lot).

Are the sections of air fence in any way connected to each other? I noticed in turn one on the many occasions that someone tested their integrity that they would get thrown quite a distance.

Are they intended to be loose? Are they more effective this way?

yak

Oh I forgot to mention something that came to me in a dream the other night... (Yes I dream about racing a lot).

Are the sections of air fence

Dreaming about air fence?

There are a number of sections that have some damaged straps. We talked about ensuring that the best sections end up in turn 1 on a regular basis.

The main issue that I see is that if the impact is too close to a connection point then it may be possible to split the blocks and end up with less protection.

Racin Jason

Ya Sand.man I could use your fabrication/welding skills.
We will need a set of steps to walk up onto the trailer. Also I am fabricating a frame for the back drop banner that can utilize the stake pockets on the trailer.
I will be at the track tonight to take measurements and hash out a basic plan for all this. You could join me and we can discuss materials and ideas if you are willing and available.
Thank You for volunteering your time and efforts.
You can text me at 780 914-6265.

Racin Jason

Just as a note to the corner 5/6 incident.
I had already seen the need for a station there before the incident happened.
We are striving to make things better in every respect.
Please understand that any track control is done by Race control and NEVER EVER should a rider take it upon themselves to stop because THEY think the race should be stopped. This just creates confusion and much danger.
Please let race control do it's job. You may see the incident before a corner worker, but trust me WE ARE paying attention and will notice quickly when something is wrong. Trying to help out or stopping on track will just make for more confusion and chance of another incident. This means by trying to help you have just delayed getting our normal crash procedures rolling.