Fork Service in Edmonton/Calgary?

Ninjadude

Hello all,

I would like to replace the stock fork springs in my ZX-14 Ninja with stiffer aftermarket units. I see that Racetech has the springs I need, but I'm wondering where is the best place in the Edmonton or Calgary areas to take the forks to get them changed out (I understand that special tools/jigs are required). I was thinking Cycle Works, but I though I'd put it to the racing crowd for an opinion.

Thanks.

oldskool

As with any shops you will have to pay shop rates.

I have the tools and know how to get this done for you if you would like. Whether you are planning on buying cartridges or springs, dropping them in is quite easy, and I'm willing to show you the process if you like. I would suggest replacing the seals with the oil at the same time. I'm not looking to make money, just looking to help the community out a bit and change the views that basic suspension work is any harder than changing your oil or mounting a new chain ect. You can check out this thread if you like.

http://www.edmontonsportriderz.com/forumvb//showthread.php?p=474287#post474287

If you are looking for specific valving changes/modifications ect. the only person I know of around here is Fred Jolivet (black 67). He may be able to help you with more technical work.

Lehbs

In calgary if you are looking at getting new springs and any work done to your forks, give Richard at Redline Motorsports a call. He can get in whatever you need and get it done pretty quick. If you need custom valving or setup give Willie Vass a call. I think his shop is in Carstairs, but he is a top level suspension tuner that can get you dialed right in.

YZF1000jon

Are you set on Racetech? Ohlins does fork springs too, very similar prices, and in my experience, far better customer service.

Planepower

@ Jamie
I looked at your post on ESR, and I feel you are way under-charging your services. Time is $$ no matter if you are just helping out. Your knowledge is valuable and so should reflect a 'consultation' fee. You have a wonderful NoMar changer that, as a business (if you are providing receipts), should reflect the costly investments you have made.
From a painting perspective, your work is top notch. You have many years invested into making suspension work, personal time invested in trial and error where now you know your sh*t.
Racing cost money, don't be afraid to charge fairly.

sand.man

I have to agree with Heiko, I was doing work out of my house for dirt cheap and it just ended up being a huge waste of energy with very little return. I stopped working in bikes but I still offer my welding and fabrication services as I can charge a more fair (to me) rate on that.

We as bikers are inherently cheap and always look for the lowest price, but if you try to do everything for nothing you'll start to hate it.

Ninjadude

I have to agree with Heiko, I was doing work out of my house for dirt cheap and it just ended up being a huge waste of energy with very little return. I stopped working in bikes but I still offer my welding and fabrication services as I can charge a more fair (to me) rate on that.

We as bikers are inherently cheap and always look for the lowest price, but if you try to do everything for nothing you'll start to hate it.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sure appreciate the quick response. To YZF1000jon, I only chose Racetech because a lot of guys over at Zxforums seem to be happy with their products and service. The big Ninja is setup at the factory for a 160lb rider and most people find the front end way too soft. I only weigh about 185 and the forks bottom on sharp bumps, hence the search for stiffer springs. To oldskool, thanks very much for your generous offer to help. I would have no problem at all paying you for your assistance. Once I receive the springs and get the forks off the bike sometime in the next couple of months, perhaps I'll contact you and see if you have time?

Thanks again to all who replied.

oldskool

Thanks for the kind words Heiko but just realize I'm not interested in dropping my job to go after this as a buisness venture. I appreciate your comments and those from sandman.

I've had many people help me out in the past when I was just getting into racing, or riding in general, this is my way of paying it forward I suppose. We do tire changes for free for our friends all the time, what's wrong with only charging a small fee for those that aren't yet friends. I can have two tires taken off and put back on within 15 mins. so I see nothing wrong with essentially charging $30-$40 an hour for this work. Again, I'm more into this to help out, meet some new faces and build connections, which generally lead to more work down the road.

I would not be down for this if I worked @ kal tire or some suspension shop. The garage beers and tooling is something I find recreational and if it becomes too much of a burden there is no one forcing me to show up to 'work'.

Ninjadude

As with any shops you will have to pay shop rates.

I have the tools and know how to get this done for you if you would like. Whether you are planning on buying cartridges or springs, dropping them in is quite easy, and I'm willing to show you the process if you like. I would suggest replacing the seals with the oil at the same time. I'm not looking to make money, just looking to help the community out a bit and change the views that basic suspension work is any harder than changing your oil or mounting a new chain ect. You can check out this thread if you like.

http://www.edmontonsportriderz.com/forumvb//showthread.php?p=474287#post474287

If you are looking for specific valving changes/modifications ect. the only person I know of around here is Fred Jolivet (black 67). He may be able to help you with more technical work.

Hello oldskool, I just wanted to touch base with you about your offer to assist me with my fork springs. If you're available sometime over the next few weeks, let me know what day works best for you and I'll get the forks off the bike. Thanks again for your offer.

Michelin Man

advice

When you order Racetech springs they won't be the right length. You will need to machine space collars in order to preload the springs properly so the bike geometry is correct under its and your weight. Don't miss this step! Also your ZX has long soft top out springs and you must calculate the relaxed preload or change out the top out springs. Some of this info is available on the web. I suggest checking the top out springs and most likely change them out. thsi also makes the preload calulations much easier..

REDLINE Engine Performance
Performance Parts & Service.
Ontrack Suspension Service & Tire Sales
403-396-1443

Last edited: