front tire change out

Adam12

After a few track days my rear was retired. However I did not change the front based on street adage "2 rear tires for 1 front". However I am curious about whether I should change the front with the rear. They have seen the same amount of track days. Granted the tire wear is much less on the front, however I just don't know how fronts work in relationship to rears.

Any help and advise would be appreciated.

blam

Administrator
what are you running? slicks? dots? street dots?

for slicks, I was told your rear will be replaced due to wear and your front will usually heat cycle out before you wear it out. (about 2 rears)

for street tires, you could probably get away replacing when they wear down as street tires are not as affected by heat cycles as bad as a slick or a race Dot.

obviously, always monitor your tires. if you feel they arent gripping like they used to time to replace them.

DEFBOY35

It really comes down to how the wear is and how it feels. I typically see 2 rears to every front. And even then they tend to look good. But usually swap for piece of mind. You don't want to be second guessing your tires while you are out there.

Adam12

Thanks. I run street tires at the track and was specifically looking for information on S21 and Q3s. I have not ran slicks yet, but do hear they give much better feedback when loose traction rather than just letting go. I'd like to minimize risk, but wanted to know how will the front do. I would rather not swap front and rear at the same time but get a bit more life out if the front. Next year I plan to have run separate sets for street and tires. Just need to buy another set of wheels. Which for a 13 Zx6r is not easy nor inexpensive.

Last edited:

blam

Administrator
I left my Q3s on mybike over winter last year in my uninsulated, unheated garage and ran them at the beginning of this season without any issues.

having said that, my pace is pretty slow, so ymmv. i believe i was running low 1:40s for whatever that's worth.