Hello from Race Week Edmonton

Good morning!

I didn't know where best to post this, but I thought a generic thread worked.

My name is Richard Skermer and I am the Executive Director of Race Week Edmonton. We are the folks that stepped up back in October to find a solution to pay for track modifications when the INDY went sideways. Plus, we also put on events last year and are putting on more this year "outside" the fence. We are not owned by the City of Edmonton or Octane - rather we are our own not-for-profit company (with the Alberta Diabetes Foundation as our charity).

I came to know your club through Jon Watchuk - a gentleman I met some time ago when working at TransAlta. I also forwarded your club's information to Octane in hopes that you would be on track this year.

One thing I should mention is that we are excited that Castrol is investing in their track. This should go a long way to get more racing events in the Capital Region!

While many focus on auto racing, Race Week Edmonton is focused on all things racing. Yes, we were borne out of the INDY, but our mandate all along is to get racing of all types moving forward. We're looking into the Ultimate Hydros, Air Racing, a bike race, charity events...a whole littany of events. Our large focus is actually on the Soap Box arena - this is something for the kids as well as our serious intent to do an adult version next year - we need to lose our minds and have fun too!!!

We also are hosting the Rice Howard Way street party this year - complete with vendors and music.

We are proud to host the Ford family fun zone...on Centennial Plaza right behind the Millner library.

In short, you could say we are drinking from a firehose this year.

We have always had a hole in the bike world within RWE. This is something I want to address, and I had hoped the introduction would have the EMRA on the schedule this year for INDY. Regardless, I definitely want to move forward to find ways to promote this club and its racing events.

I have a couple ideas, but I simply wanted to say hello to the EMRA members and make an introduction.

Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or visit http://www.raceweekedmonton.com

Planepower

If you're looking for a few static bike displays, there are beautiful bikes that i know of that would look great. ;-)
Heck, we would even do parade laps.

Last edited:
Yes, I definitely am looking for static displays, both at the Soap Box Derby on July 17th, and even on Rice Howard Way or Scotia Place Promenade (between Scotia Place and the Kelly-Ramsey Bldg) on the 20-23rd.

I want to give you folks a chance to show off your stuff.

Last edited:

Planepower

Can't make the 16th, but easily the following weekend. I'll check with my team-mates - best looking bikes around! :D

Just to be clear...It is the 17th...Victoria Hill....10am is the first soap box heat...

The Canadian Forces are there...

Hot Dog vendor...soft ice cream vendor...

Looking to have some NASCC racers there...

Going to be on Global Morning on Friday the 15th...to plug this...

If you folks have some bikes you want to show off...let me know! [email protected].

This also applies to Rice Howard Way - July 20-23. Thank you to those who have written to me, I appreciate your interest !!!!!

:)

Last edited:

sand.man

I don't think you'll find many people for this coming weekend as it is the biggest race weekend all year for the EMRA... However the 20-23 should be easy

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
How many bikes are you looking for? I could be down, I'm speaking for the bike on the right...

2011-06-21_10-39-01_967.jpg

2011-06-21_11-02-13_395.jpg

Sorry for the slow response

It has been hectic. The latest development has the street closure permit being modified at the last minute. This is something we will deal with as we want the event to come off smoothly and understand the city's concerns. However, it has kept me hopping between soap box and finalizing the new layout - we lost 50% of the space.

That said, the large area I had reserved for the EMRA for 3 days has vanished. If anyone is still interested and can be available Saturday, I may have a place for a few bikes - no promises just yet. I'd like a showing from you folks, but I also want to make sure it is a great place for you to come and enjoy, with some peak hour exposure to do this right or not at all.:)

If you all can be patient for one more day until the dust settles and I have a better layout, that would be GREAT! If you can't, I understand.

Thanks!
Richard