How do I safety wire these? (pic)

Sterling

Any tips on how I'm supposed to wire this axle and pinch bolt? It's a 2000 R6.

axlebolt640.jpg

YZF1000jon

I know the pinch bolt has enough meat sticking out to make it work, but someone else will have to help on the axle.

friendlyfoe

im actually just about to do this for the first time so i may be wrong, but i was standing in the garage looking at the same thing and am pretty sure the answer for the axel is to drill a hole from the bottom of the fork, and then wrap the wire through and around the fork

Fireman

If you take your time on the axle you can drill through the lip with enough material left over to still have a good purchase point for the wire. The pinch bolt is easy. At the very bottom you have a small aluminum lip that finishes off the bottom of your fork. It sits directly below the bolt and can be seen in the pic. Just take a dremel and sand/grind that lip off until you have enough room to run wire into the bolt.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Planepower

The pinch bolts arent too tough - mark them where you want to pass lockwire through and remove them and proceed to drill. And, drill a small diagonal hole in the bottom of the fork casting to accomodate the other part of the lockwire.
The axle is a bit of a difficulty. Im curious whats on the left hand side? If its a nut then lockwire that. If the other fork leg is threaded, then it is not required. See Appendix B (d) & (e) in rulebook for details.
In all honesty and common sense, the pinch bolt is the locking and safety device securing the axle in position, if theres no nut to loosen off then it isnt required to lockwire the thru axle.

Last edited:
I also have a 2000 R6 and I did what Heiko suggested -- drill the pinch bolt first then mark a point on the front of the fork to the right of the pinch bolt, 3 mm up from the bottom of the fork, then drill the diagonal hole at an angle that goes both to the right and through the bottom. You can drill the axle, but as Heiko explained because the nut on the left is lockwired (or should be!) you don't need to. Mine passed tech. with the pinch bolt and left nut lockwired to the bottom of the fork, but a better way is to drill the threaded part of the axle right through and use a castle nut and a cotter pin ... don't ask! LOL

P.S. Thanks to Jamie O'Grady (for noticing I was riding a track night with no nut and spacer!) and to Jon Watchuk (for the tip on the castle nut with cotter) ... way more secure!

Edit: "because the nut on the left is lockwired (or should be!) you don't need to" ... (there's no nut on the left, like you said) ... still, it passed technical inspection with just the pinch bolt lockwired to the fork leg.

Last edited:

Sterling

Aiden: Are you talking about the front or the rear axle? There is no nut on the other side of the axle bolt in my pic. It threads directly into the right fork leg and is just as flush as the side I've shown. If your bike is a 2000 R6 it must be the same.

Re: drilling into the fork leg: Maybe it's just me but I'm not too comfortable drilling holes into the fork legs. Seems a lot safer to just grind a little off.

Here's a pic of mine:

You're right, the left side is flush so only the pinch bolt is safety wired. The nut at the back is the one that could use a castle nut/cotter pin.

Attachments

• DSCN3801.jpg
    DSCN3801.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 36