National Sched & Classes

jetfixer15

It says:

"The Sports Twins class will replace the long-running Suzuki SV650 National Cup and will be similar to the now defunct Thunder class in Canada and Moto-ST endurance program in the U.S. It will be open to liquid-cooled twins producing no more than 75 horsepower and air-cooled twins of up to 90 horsepower, with horsepower enforced on the official series Dynojet Dynamometer."

Perhaps we should just have a MWT Intermediate class then. It will allow Kawasaki, Honda and Hyosung 650 twins too.

Dean

In talks with our regional Suzuki rep, it has become highly unlikely that the SV cup will remain at a regional level as well. As such the WMRC has tentatively eliminated the class as well. We have not announced alternatives, but they are in the works. At least I got in on the final year of contingency that Suzuki Canada offered.

ian

Perhaps we should just have a MWT Intermediate class then. It will allow Kawasaki, Honda and Hyosung 650 twins too.

That is what we will do if the Suzuki SV Cup ceases to exist, its a shame to lose that contingency though.

Planepower

it sure would be nice to have other twins in classes - rather than a few and the rest motards. But, i guess we need to have classes with more than just a few bikes on the grid.
By the response generated at the AGM regarding classes - we need to make it entertaining for the fans.

eric92

If you wanna play, you gotta play.
To my understanding, all manufacturer's that wish to take part in the national series must also be a sponsor and pay a certain fee.
Hense the reason that Clint McBain was unable to Race a Ducati last year, as Ducati did get on board as a sponsor and shell out the money.
The manufacturer of a particular brand MUST be a sponsor of the series on order for that brand to be eligable to race in the series.

Planepower

I can understand no payout from sponshorship money - but gate admission could be paid to Yamaha riders, I think thats quite a spiteful slap to the face for yamaha - not much incentive to support Canadian Racing. I think Colin Fraser is an egotistical A$$.

eric92

If a manufacturer does not get on board, then their brand of motorcycles are not homogolated for the series.

That's how I understand it.

eric92

For 2010, Yamaha is not eligible (old or new).
Personally I think it kinda sucks.

What would they do if none of the OEM's got on board?
Or if only one manufacurer got on board then it would be a spec class.

eric92

Colin Frasier is already running both series, so it's no suprise to me.

DMG Superbike Death Watch?
[SIZE=-1]by dean adams[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Wednesday, December 02, 2009[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
If you're of the opinion that Superbike racing in America is dying under the management of the Daytona Motorsport Group, last weekend's release of the 2010 purse information for the Superbike class probably did little to convince you that the class is not strapped to a bed with a pillow over its face.
Purse payouts for the Superbike class are dramatically reduced for 2010. According to DMG documents, in the Superbike class The riders earning the three (3) highest point totals on an event weekend will be paid podium bonuses as follows: 1st - $3,500.00, 2nd - $2,000.00, and 3rd - $1,000.00.
Astoundingly, DMG documents suggest that there will be no purse paid for riders or teams finishing past third place in Superbike points on each race weekend.
Daytona Sport Bike, mind you, will also have a reduced purse but still pays a purse to twentieth place. DMG document: The riders earning the twenty (20) highest point totals on an event weekend will be paid purse awards as follows: 1st - $5,000.00, 2nd - $3,000.00, 3rd - $2,000.00, 4th through 10th - $1,500.00 each, and 11th through 20th $1,000.00 each.
Amazingly, finishing third in Superbike points on any given DMG weekend pays as well as twentieth place in DMG's namesake class, Daytona Sport Bike.
At the risk of being obvious, in the past, a Superbike purse paying well down the finishing order was a way for a privateer or support team to help defray expenses, to pay their tire, fuel or hotel bills for the race weekend.
How exactly will smaller teams be able to race the Superbike class? Some of them say that they won't.
DMG came into this fray in a swashbuckling manner. Roger Edmondson said in the March 2008 press conference announcing that DMG was buying AMA Pro Racing "I know this sounds cocky, but forgive me - we know it will be successful. Once the France family decides to move forward on a project, it does not fail." (Link to full transcript)
Their December 2008 press release stated that for the two premier classes, Superbike and Daytona Sport Bike, Each of the premier divisions will offer $125,000 purses at each event with $15,000 going to the top points winner in each class. Second through 20th place finishing positions will earn $5,000 while the remaining finishers through 25th position will be paid $3,000.
Given the resources of the Daytona International Speedway organization and the France family, sponsorship to support those numbers was at that time almost an after-thought.
Simply put, DMG could not deliver on their grandiose purse statements and had to issue a humbling press release before the 2009 Daytona event spelling out that previously released purse amounts were no longer possible.
Sadly, the reality is that Superbike purse payments in 2010 will be at their lowest point in modern AMA Superbike racing history. Not only are they lower than purses offered a just a few years ago, they are less than levels the series paid out in 1997.
Also a reality is that these relatively minuscule purse levels, the Superbike grid is in real danger of ending at the second row. Making its eventual demise easier to justify?
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]ENDS[/SIZE]

With A Purse Like That, Where The Hell Are The Bell-Bottoms & Go-Go Boots?
[SIZE=-1]by dean adams[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Thursday, December 03, 2009[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
DMG's new purse structure for 2010, dramatically reduced from seasons past, does have some historical significance, it seems.
The top points scorer in Superbike will cash a $3500 check in 2010 DMG Superbike. Which is the same amount paid to the Daytona 200 winner. In 1972.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]ENDS[/SIZE]

Purse Data: '02 VIR Superbike Round Paid $110,000
[SIZE=-1]by staff[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Thursday, December 10, 2009[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-2]AMA documents from 2002 reveal purse data for the VIR round.
image by el scanno
[/SIZE]
How far have purse payouts crashed in AMA Superbike?
Check this out: purse payout data from the 2002 VIR round of the series.
In 2010, with DMG steering the AMA Superbike ship, the purse for an entire weekend of racing will total slightly more than $30,000.
Earlier: $3500 Payout Same Earned by Daytona 200 Winner. In 1972.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]ENDS[/SIZE]
Post this story to: digg

[SIZE=-1]Return to News[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]PRIVACY POLICY | HOME | RETURN TO TOP[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]© 1997 - 2009 Hardscrabble Media LLC[/SIZE]

YZF1000jon

Also a reality is that these relatively minuscule purse levels, the Superbike grid is in real danger of ending at the second row. Making its eventual demise easier to justify?

That's the whole point, they wanted Daytona sportbike to be the premier race from the beginning and if they have to squash Superbike to get their way, they will. I mean they are.