Novice Race Essentials

G.NYUS

Just wondering if anyone could give me some insight on what they believe would be the "essentials" for a novice race season. Some things that maybe they wished they had in their first season but didn't think of until they needed it?

For example: Is having two sets of rims, one with rain tires, and one with slicks a "must have" or is it just convenient? Maybe a good set of DOT tires would suffice for all around conditions?

I also realize that budget plays a big role in this question, so it may be hard to answer. But I'm kinda looking for items like clutch/brake levers, rearsets, etc...

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

Glen

P.S. - talent and skill is on my list, but it's waaay too expensive :)

sand.man

It depends on how eager you are to race in the rain, or if you're willing to sit one or two out (while still paying for it).

If you don't want to miss any action, then yes a second set of rims with rains would be very beneficial. Dots are fine on a drying track, but for anything on the wetter side of damp you'll want rain tires, especially while you're learning to be smooth.

Same goes for crash spares, as having the replacement parts handy will dictate if a crash ends your day/weekend or not.

Levers, rearset parts, windshield, lever guards, sliders, a 2nd helmet, clipon bars, fairing stay etc are all commonly damaged in your typical minor crash.

G.NYUS

Thanks sand.man. That's what I'm looking for. Wouldn't have thought of the fairing stay.

I'll probly end up getting a second set of rims with rain tires. I'm a bit nervous about those rain days, and there's really only one way to get over that......

Jason Henton

Some form of shelter, being stuck out in the weather can really drain your energy for the day. A way to wheel all your gear around is helpful for getting to and from tech insection too.

G.NYUS

Some form of shelter, being stuck out in the weather can really drain your energy for the day. A way to wheel all your gear around is helpful for getting to and from tech insection too.

Sounds good. I noticed that on the hot trackdays last year, while I was sitting on my tailgate. I plan on getting an enclosed trailer for everything, but it seems like a pop up canopy is a staple in the pits as well. This will probly be an expensive year, but the bigger ticket stuff (trailer, warmers, generator, rims, race suit) should last a few seasons. Hopefully....

yak

Sounds good. I noticed that on the hot trackdays last year, while I was sitting on my tailgate. I plan on getting an enclosed trailer for everything, but it seems like a pop up canopy is a staple in the pits as well. This will probly be an expensive year, but the bigger ticket stuff (trailer, warmers, generator, rims, race suit) should last a few seasons. Hopefully....

I would include warmers (and a generator) on my wish list too, but there are some excellent track day tires that do not need warmers, give excellent value, and allow for pretty darn fast laps.

You could always add these items later in the year if tires are limiting your performance.

G.NYUS

I would include warmers (and a generator) on my wish list too, but there are some excellent track day tires that do not need warmers, give excellent value, and allow for pretty darn fast laps.

You could always add these items later in the year if tires are limiting your performance.

Thanks Yak. I'm running the Pirelli red stripes right now with 6 track days on them. Really good tires, but I'm more than likely going to get warmers like you said. I just want the extra confidence going into turn one, plus it should help the rubber last a bit longer.

Speaking of tires, what are the tell tale signs that your rubber is done? Is it just concentrated wear or peeling? I don't know if I should start the season on these hoops, or get new ones for Round 1.

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm trying to limit my "learning the hard way" mistakes if I can!

sand.man

There are dimples in the tires which are your physical wear indicators, but the faster guys measure the life of the tire based on feel... You'll know when a tire is starting to act and react differently than it did when new, you'll be less confident pushing the tires.

Your red stripes *should* last a very long time at novice pace. Shane Fraser ran a set of red stripes for I don't even know how long last year... AFTER we ran a 200 lap endurance race the year before.

G.NYUS

There are dimples in the tires which are your physical wear indicators, but the faster guys measure the life of the tire based on feel... You'll know when a tire is starting to act and react differently than it did when new, you'll be less confident pushing the tires.

Your red stripes *should* last a very long time at novice pace. Shane Fraser ran a set of red stripes for I don't even know how long last year... AFTER we ran a 200 lap endurance race the year before.

Perfect. I'll stick with them for now then. I'll be fine at my pace for a bit I think. Thanks.

yak

Like Ryan said.

I've run some tires brands that are noticeably off their peak performance with lots of rubber left and other brands that I stop running because there isn't any rubber left.

I've never run the red stripes but they enjoy a good reputation with a proven track record.

AleksV

Sliding red stripes with control is really fun, until they let go lol. I've used dots for a full race weekend in States, and handful of track days, they are worth quite a bit still, and easy to sell to street friends. I wouldn't count on them in rain though.

TSR

Hi Glen,

I started racing last year with zero track time. In addition to the bike related items posted by others, I would add that a tent(even a cheapy walmart jobbie), big cooler and a nice comfy chair should be on your list. Not big ticket items, but it definitely makes a rainy or hot day smoother. I also found having a push broom to push water out of your pit is handy.

TR

Last edited:

G.NYUS

Sliding red stripes with control is really fun, until they let go lol. I've used dots for a full race weekend in States, and handful of track days, they are worth quite a bit still, and easy to sell to street friends. I wouldn't count on them in rain though.

Gotcha. Key words "in control". Lol. I'm going to try to get to stepping the rear out at some point this this year. Just need to find the corner that works.

G.NYUS

Hi Glen,

I started racing last year with zero track time. In addition to the bike related items posted by others, I would add that a tent(even a cheapy walmart jobbie), big cooler and a nice comfy chair should be on your list. Not big ticket items, but it definitely makes a rainy or hot day smoother. I also found having a push broom to push water out of your pit is handy.

TR

Nice. Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to get a pop up canopy for sure. Costco has some good sales sometimes too. There's a few options out there.

Are you going to come out again this year?

Fireman

Buy crash spares, tracktime, and decent tires.

Without tracktime you will not use tires, but will need spares

Without tires, you'll still get track time, but will one again need spares

Without spares, youll save on tires, after a small crash while your friends are using THEIR track time lol

Meaningful practice and instruction accelerate the learning curve. Good luck Greg. Youll do great in 2015

G.NYUS

Buy crash spares, tracktime, and decent tires.

Without tracktime you will not use tires, but will need spares

Without tires, you'll still get track time, but will one again need spares

Without spares, youll save on tires, after a small crash while your friends are using THEIR track time lol

Meaningful practice and instruction accelerate the learning curve. Good luck Greg. Youll do great in 2015

lol Thanks Justin. I hope to not use many spares, but I know I'll need them. It's like scratching a new helmet, once it happens you can relax and focus on riding instead of tiptoeing around. As long as its not a missed shift into corner 1 that gets me. .........dammit, did I just seal my fate? ha!

See you at the race school.

DEFBOY35

lol Thanks Justin. I hope to not use many spares, but I know I'll need them. It's like scratching a new helmet, once it happens you can relax and focus on riding instead of tiptoeing around. As long as its not a missed shift into corner 1 that gets me. .........dammit, did I just seal my fate? ha!

See you at the race school.

those false neutrals suck in corner 1, lol

and ryan was wrong, it was a actually not a set of red stripes, but my round 7 slicks from last year that seen way too many laps on. but they looked good, felt pretty good and my lap times continued to drop, could only imagine if i had ran fresh tires throughout the year!
i agree though a set of red stripes would be a cost effective, and depending how hard you start to push, still high enough level of grip.

sand.man

You did run the red stripes for quite a while last year I thought Shane... Keep in mind last year is 2013, 2014 isn't over yet.

G.NYUS

those false neutrals suck in corner 1, lol

and ryan was wrong, it was a actually not a set of red stripes, but my round 7 slicks from last year that seen way too many laps on. but they looked good, felt pretty good and my lap times continued to drop, could only imagine if i had ran fresh tires throughout the year!
i agree though a set of red stripes would be a cost effective, and depending how hard you start to push, still high enough level of grip.

Oh yeah, I think I remember hearing something about that false neutral story.....

Thanks, I'll stick with the red stripes until they get too squirrelly. Picked up some warmers from Nac.00 today and a back protector from Sterling too.
Now if only that kijiji guy with the EU2000i would answer my emails!

DEFBOY35

You did run the red stripes for quite a while last year I thought Shane... Keep in mind last year is 2013, 2014 isn't over yet.

the last time i have had red stripes on the bike was 2013 mission track day. and ran the 200 width slicks from rd 7 of 2013 all through 2014 except the last race day. lol

edit: and ryan, who are you kidding the second we get off the track for the last time in a season becomes last year, and the new year starts