Questions on prepping a Yamaha R3 for racing

Richard Coates

Hello - I am looking for some experienced insight as to prepping my 2015 R3 to enter some races this year. I am registered in race school and will have to go into the open novice class. I have read the rule book and comprehend the bulk of the tech specs, but have some R3 specific questions:

1) I am running hot bodies race fairings, the belly pan is fully sealed with no holes, and the breather/ vent hoses reach into it. Do I need a catch can? If so where would I mount it?

2) The base of the fork legs - the regs say wire or tape the drain bolts. Can I simply place gorilla tape on the bottom of the leg and be done with it?

3) front axle - note I have a slide installed. What is the best way to safety wire this axle (and still use the slider?) ? I am scratching my head more than I should be

4) for the rear axle I am planning to drill the threaded part of the axle and use a cotter pin/ hitch pin - this will be OK I presume?

I know there are a couple of R3 racers out there who would be familiar with this bike in particular, so any insight would be great - I don’t personally know any one who races one and being in Calgary I am a bit far from anyone in Edmonton. I was out at some track days last year and am looking forward to a new challenge/ experience this year...

Thanks in advance

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
Hello - I am looking for some experienced insight as to prepping my 2015 R3 to enter some races this year. I am registered in race school and will have to go into the open novice class. I have read the rule book and comprehend the bulk of the tech specs, but have some R3 specific questions:
Hi Richard, I spoke to you last year at one of the track days. I was checking out your bike. I send you a personal message with my phone number. Send me a text and I can answer any questions you have about prepping an R3, and send you pictures so you can see what I did for Grace's (my wife) bike.

1) I am running hot bodies race fairings, the belly pan is fully sealed with no holes, and the breather/ vent hoses reach into it. Do I need a catch can? If so where would I mount it?
Technically I don't think you need one, Jeff Sanderson is our chief tech inspector, and he would make the final ruling. But it's a good idea to have one in general, and it's really not hard. A hose clamp to hold a pop can, and some zip ties to attach it to the bike; it's an easy job. Once you text me, I'll send you a photo of what I did on Grace's bike.

2) The base of the fork legs - the regs say wire or tape the drain bolts. Can I simply place gorilla tape on the bottom of the leg and be done with it?
You're very thorough Richard. I had to open the rule book to see where that was even required.
I've always used our tech checklist available on our website. Here is a link:
http://www.emra.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/2019-Tech-sheet-1.pdf

For the R3, these drain bolts are recessed inside the fork bottom, and I would not drill them as you would have to drill a hole in the fork bottom to safety wire them. A little dab of silicon should be sufficient (I wouldn't go crazy though, or you'll gum up the bolt and not be able to get a tool in there to remove them later.

3) front axle - note I have a slide installed. What is the best way to safety wire this axle (and still use the slider?) ? I am scratching my head more than I should be
I'm not sure how the slider attaches to the fork, I would have to take a look in person. I suspect there is room under the slider to install some safety wire once you drill the axle.

4) for the rear axle I am planning to drill the threaded part of the axle and use a cotter pin/ hitch pin - this will be OK I presume?
Yes, but you'll have to safety wire the cotter pin to the bike so it can't fall out. I'll share a picture to show you what I did.

macbayne

http://www.emra.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/2019-Tech-sheet-1.pdf
If it can be wired, wire it. Tape/silicone "cheats" may be accepted, but wire everything that you can. Silicone and tape is BS. Torqueing bolts and then marking and drilling them for their certain orientation will help you when trackside and trying to make-shift repair for your next race.

"Catch cans" are what I call "beer cans on the engine case."

If you are worried as frig about passing spec, tried your hardest, watched the vid, and followed the sheet... you will probably pass, no problem.

You are going to the race school. What a wonderful place to get some instructors, IE. THE EXECS, to look over your machine. You have the school, and TWO WEEKS following to get to spec. You are over thinking it.

Last edited:

Framer

I have a hardly used set of Vortex clip-ons I bought for my wife's R3 that she decided not to race. $100.00 if your interested.