Racing with UtahSBA @ Utah Motorsports Campus

JDstealth

I am looking at racing most or all of the rounds in Utah this year, and I am looking at getting a larger trailer to haul down and will have room to bring other racers bikes down. I would be traveling with my family in my RV so this offer would be to just bring a bike, gear bag, small/med tool bag/box. Said racer would have to find their own way down (fly, drive, boat, train ect). There may be weekends that I could provide travel for the rider as well but that would be additional and we would have to discuss the details. I would provide a Pitbull trailer restraint plate but would require the racer to have frame/pins/latches.

Pricing will be $350 Canadian for the above, I would require ownership papers in case we get checked at the boarded and a letter stating that I am taking your bike down for racing and then back to Canada.

Last edited:

DEFBOY35

Are you planning to leave the trailer and bikes down there? Or are you hauling back and forth between rounds?

JDstealth

I will be hauling down and back, a lot of driving but I think this is the only way I will be able to do it. I would like to get the bikes a few days before leaving (usually weds night for Friday trackday). Bikes would be back the following week, likely Tuesday evening.

DEFBOY35

I will be hauling down and back, a lot of driving but I think this is the only way I will be able to do it. I would like to get the bikes a few days before leaving (usually weds night for Friday trackday). Bikes would be back the following week, likely Tuesday evening.
Sweet. Let me know when you have crunched some numbers.

JDstealth

Updated with pricing, Let me know if anyone has any questions. At this point I don't know how many trailer restraints I can fit, I will update when that is known. I would expect to be able to take at least 2 other bikes per trip.

JDstealth

Everyone is entitled to their opinion! Gas down and back isn't cheap, even taking a truck (when your not splitting it with anyone). I am maintaining my rv and trailer as well as the time it takes to drive down and back. This deal let's the rider fly down rockstar style, race and fly out, I think that's a pretty sweet deal.

M87

I think Shane was just kidding, everyone knows it's pretty expensive to pull a trailer with anything. If I drive the speed limit through the mountains in the US I get around 9-10 mpg with my F-150 pulling a trailer. I thought the truck was eco-boost but apparently it's either eco or boost. Sort of eco on the prairies and lots of boost through the passes.

DEFBOY35

I think Shane was just kidding, everyone knows it's pretty expensive to pull a trailer with anything. If I drive the speed limit through the mountains in the US I get around 9-10 mpg with my F-150 pulling a trailer. I thought the truck was eco-boost but apparently it's either eco or boost. Sort of eco on the prairies and lots of boost through the passes.
Partially kidding. My pig of a truck cost just over 500$ hauling two bikes and all the gear doing the speed limits. But that also was transportation costs for 3 people. Factoring in flights or transportation on top of 350 it gets expensive really fast. Now at 350 a pop hauling multiple bikes you are not just trying to help knock a chunk of your gas bill off you're trying to pay for the trip. Just my opinion. 350 all day long if it included the ride with it, would be doable.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Partially kidding. My pig of a truck cost just over 500$ hauling two bikes and all the gear doing the speed limits. But that also was transportation costs for 3 people. Factoring in flights or transportation on top of 350 it gets expensive really fast. Now at 350 a pop hauling multiple bikes you are not just trying to help knock a chunk of your gas bill off you're trying to pay for the trip. Just my opinion. 350 all day long if it included the ride with it, would be doable.
Someone drives all my shit down, all I do is fly in and fly out with a carry on like a rock star. Saves money by letting you take less time off work and not getting fired.

M87

$500 ? Thats pretty good. I spent $890 CAD last year for my May trip. We might have drove a little fast but not much.

JDstealth

500 is amazing, are you driving a prius? I have spent much more than that on gas pulling a trailer with my truck (2011 Ram 1500 5.7). If I am taking people, I would expect that they would pay a premium for taking my vehicle, wear and tear ect... This is strictly trying to cover some fuel costs... If I bring 3 extra bikes down I am still not breaking even on fuel. Like John said this isn't for the budget minded person wanting to drive the speed limit (I do not), it is for the person that is looking to not take days off work and still ride at a world class track. If I didn't have a family that I would like to have at the track with me I would take this deal in a heart beat, no driving, no extra days off (my holidays are limited), all the good parts of the trip and none of the bad...

I understand this will not be for everyone but a chance for some to get down to a sweet track without all the overhead of buying a trailer, driving down and getting to the track exhausted for the first track day... Thinking there must be other people that agree since I have had some interest already!

Can't wait to get out on track again!

DEFBOY35

Lol. So I stand by my original statement. That rv is a real pig lol. If 1050$ (for 3 bikes) is not even breaking even on fuel.
Don't get me wrong. I think the idea of flying in and out like a rockstar is awesome and kudos to you for putting the offer out to transport people's bikes and gear.
As for paying a premium. Every trip I have been on has been split equally among those who went. I know when we did California we threw in an oil change as it was 7200k round trip. But that was marginal split 3 ways in the end.

Mike, towing is where the diesel shines. For one it barely even knows something is back there. The killer is the states awesome speed limits when it comes to economy. Ha. So if you are cooking past that then I can see going through a lot more fuel.

That being said it will be awesome if you fill the trailer and we have as many people down there as possible.
I'll have room for up to 3 as well and will split costs evenly for those who don't fit in your trailer.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I think $350 is a pretty good deal for the rider, and fair to ask as the guy transporting things. Yes it's cheaper if you ride share, there's no denying that, but this is not what we are talking about here so I wouldn't even compare it.
I plan to do a trip to Miller one weekend this season but I also enjoy the drive down and shenanigans to be had, and have vacation time to spare. If i can't find a truck and trailer to jump in with (my Kia and non-tornado-proof trailer are not the combination to take long distances) then i'll jump on this idea if there is still a spot available.

blam

Administrator
i might be interested in a round this year as well. really want to try out a track that isn't castrol for some expereince. i dont mind flying down rockstar, because I partially hate road trips and I have a serious case of carcolepsy.

M87

Jeff van Der Voort ( I hope I spelled that right) and I are headed down. We haven't booked a garage yet and we also have room for one more person on the trip.

Mantis

Mike, get in touch with Randy Schuler. I believe he will be looking for a pitmate at least. I will be there pitting in the Hustle Hard Garage again, first time on east track!!!

Cinder

I'm going back in July...woohoo
I calculated how much fuel it cost me to bring 3 bikes, gear and spare rims/tires....and it cost me $1050 in fuel doing 75 MPH and keeping speed limit in Canada.