Rad hose clamps

sand.man

What works best for clamps on coolant hoses?

I've heard the screw style are prone to cutting hoses, just wondering if there's a better option?

radiator-hose-with-clamp.png

Fireman

I have ever had any issues with oem clamps. Never seen anyone else have a issue either. National teams still use them as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Racin Jason

They are only prone to cutting hoses if you over tighten them. I safety wire them just as an added safety measure.

sand.man

Alright, thanks guys.

I've got some blingy hoses, just wanted to be sure I wouldn't ruin them!

As I understand from the "safety wiring" page here on the forum, we are required to wire the clamps aren't we?

jetfixer15

Appendix B in the rule book does not specify having to lockwire hose clamps specifically however in the same appendix under point C it states that any bolt if removed will release fluids shall be lockwired indirectly covers it although a clamp is not a bolt. One of the pictures does show a hose clamp being lockwired too. The ambiguity of the wording leaves it open to peoples interpretation, which is't good in technical areas. I think we should ammend the rules to specify hose clamps having to be lockwired.

Planepower

^^
being a 'jetfixer' when did you see small hose clamps being lockwired? Especially from the tails rather than the head of the worm screw? In all my years as an AME I haven't seen a hose clamp loosen to the point that fluids expel.
Drilling the head of the screw is more effective than tying wire to the tail of the clamp, if we are to go that route.

jetfixer15

Aircraft clamps are a different topic all together. Motorcycle hose clamps usually come with either a common or phillips head screw head. I use common type as I route the lockwire into the straight grove on the head and wrap it around the back of the clamp and secure it under the back of the screw (if it protrudes out enough) or to the tail of the clamp. This prevents the screw from rotating. Most rad hose clamp failures I have seen are from old clamps being used that have worn screws which didn't grip the clamp effectively anymore. I agree with you that wiring just the tail of the clamp without securing the screw is ineffective.

Planepower

Agree with you Aaron. Any high (loose term) pressure fuel, oil, pneumatic use SS clamps and are checked regularly and not over-torqued. Personally I use torque laquor as an idicator and none have broken free from last season.

Last edited:

YZF1000jon

More than anything lock wire is a visual confirmation that the rider has checked the tightness. It is nice as a backup in case something does try and come loose, but for tech it is an obvious proof of a riders due process.

Dean

The WMRC requires that all hose clamps are safety wired in the exact manner that Aaron described. It does serve as visual indication that the racer has checked the tightness. Rad hoses, and oil filter is the most common place to find them.

Racin Jason

Although I agree that hose clamps don't come loose very often it only takes once and the consequences of spraying fluid on your tires or on the track can be high. (ask Norm. Even though that crash was not his or PPBs fault the results were the same as if a clamp failed). For the extra time it takes it's just extra insurance.
It's a dangerous sport boys and girls and anything we can do to keep the unexpected from happening is time well spent.

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
I had my OEM crimped style oil cooler hose on my aprilia let go this weekend. got a belly full of oil... happened in the pits thank god. I removed all crimped clams and put worm gear and wired them.
As a automotive mechanic I have heard people say they can cut hoses, but I always use them and have never seen any hose acctualy fail because of them. keep in mind under frequent temperature changes from warm to extreme cold they can loosen off a bit.